Dilemma!!

Dilemma!!

Dilemma!! Hi all,
The more I read the more I’m getting me knickers in a twist about all available post-mastectomy treatment options. At 50 I’ve not reached the menopause yet and still am as regular as clockwork. What am I classed as? Menopausal because of my age or pre-menopausal coz all my bits are still in working order. Also what happens if I’m Oestrogen negative with it in the nodes? I’m hoping it’s just your average"run of the mill??" oestrogen positive. HELP!!! my mind is running riot the nearer the operation gets.
RegardsXX

Hi RedVixon

I think at this stage it is difficult to plan ahead, you are trying to run before you can walk so to say! Only your Onc/BCN can really advise you about your hormone status and further treatment. They won’t make long term plans until they have the path results post surgery.

I undestand that whilst you are still having regular periods that you are classed as pre-menopausal and therefore treated as such - don’t moan on that one cos the bloody Arimidex they give us post meno’s is a killer on the body (that’s if you are ER+)!

I know it is very difficult not to get in a panic about treament, it’s that fear of the unknown I think If you are really worried I would contact your Onc etc. as I mentioned above and ask them to explain it a little more.

Good luck with your op, I had my Mastectomy in January and to be honest I found it a doddle (even though I was in hospital with an infection for 11 days), I recovered really quickly and got on with my life. I guess in a way I was lucky because I had chemo first to shrink my tumour, so I didn’t need any other treatment post surgery bar those godamn tablets!

Lynn

Red vixen Hi -

It is hell waiting for the op and then results. I remember it well.

Firstly you will probably classed as pre-menopausal. I am a ‘young one’ at 50 and at a similar stage to you so have been treated as such.

Re: the worry, I know it is easier said than done but try to avoid dwelling too much on what could be. You just will not know until the results come 2 weeks after the op. On the advice of another lady on this site I have always tried to focus on what is just ahead and not look too far - it can get really scary and may never happen.

If possible try to fill your time with other stuff, plan some nice days out, go shopping, eat drink and be merry what ever turns you on. I went to Brussels with my daughter for a shop, choc and beer fest (I decided stuff putting money in an ISA for my dottage this year) It really helped.

After the op focus on getting healed. Return to the net and treatments etc. just before the post-op results appointment so that you can discuss options (also take someone wit you)

Keep posting and use this site - I have found it brilliant for support. It is a hard old road to travel.

hope the op goes nice and smoothly for you
cyber hug
Swanie