Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disability Living Allowance

101 REPLIES 101
Highlighted

Re: Disability Living Allowance

Highlighted

I'm so sorry youve had to give up a job u love Lulu. Like u, i love my little job...its not like going to work. Only a few of us there working for a charity that looks after vulnerable families in need with children under 5. Im the only administrator there and havent bn there now for 4 wks....i would hate to give it up. But hey....u can just please yourself now, keep concentrating on keeping well and enjoy doing your favourite things xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi,lulu,huge hug. But think of it as time for you now,time to all the things you never had time for while working. It will be sad for you but it's now your "me" time so embrace it with both hands. I know I'll miss my job when mine comes through too.
Sending you a massive hug & be a lady that lunches ,Helen xxxxxxxxx
Highlighted

I officially retired on ill health today 😞

Sad to no longer be part of the world which i love but know i just cant do it anymore.

Lxxxx
Highlighted

Thank you,Tracy ,don't lose hope the mac advisors are good at sorting PIPs out.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks Helen and good luck for tmo hope the date for your surgery will be soon xxx

Reading that Sue makes me think despite the mac advisors scoring I may not qualify anyway 😕xx
Highlighted

Hi,sue,thanks for info. I'll look into it ,I don't think anything can be as frustrating as PIPs lol.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

Dear Helen, 

It is definitely worth applying for ESA.  There are 2 types one income related and the other based on your national insurance contributions.  It was easy to apply for and I am surprised your Mac advisor never told you about it.  I get the contributory one and have been put in the group that cannot work because of treatments.  Which means it hopefully will be paid longer than a year.  I applied for it in January this year. Had it backdated to November and it came through in days.

I also told a lady who I know through walking the dog about it and she thanked me a few weeks later as she had been awarded it and it was backdated too. She said that it has made such a difference to her.  There are 2 rates one about 70 PDS a week and the higher which is approximately 100 PDS.

I am sure it is more straight forward to get ESA than PIP.  The Mac benefits advisor said that as I could walk a certain distance and look after myself that I wouldn't get PIP.  I did have a fractured femur and 3 other areas of bone Mets but these are small at the moment.

I still think you should definitely apply for ESA.  

Enjoy your garden seat and cushions!  You deserve it!

Sue XXXX

Highlighted

Hi,Nicky,thank you. I've never heard of ESA but after fight to get PIP I just don't have the energy at the moment. I'm hopefully retiring through ill health soon as that's been 6 month so far getting sorted!!
Thank you for the advice and huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Ps . I've bought a garden bench with big cushions from m&s so I can sit in garden without having to carry all my cushions out to support back with the money. Hope we have some sun now in the NE!

Hi,Tracy,glad mac helped fill form in as they know what to write. I'm keeping fingers crossed you'll get it soon.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Nice lady fro mac Millan helped me fill in Pip application today but will probably have to wait 26 weeks for a reply and then go for an assessment. Don't qualify for working tax credits as cut my hours to 27 a week. Oh well won't hold my breath. Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Helen, as have said on Bone mets thread, well done for eventually getting PIP, but at least it is back dated. Make sure you use it for something nice, no guilt attached.

If you are eligible, and feeling you're up to it, have you looked at ESA as well?  Just to say this is either a means tested, or an NHI contribution based, support allowance and if you are on chemotherapy or radiotherapy you go into the special cases part of it with no assessments needed.  I had to give up my new job last year and have had this since then based on my previous years' NHI contributions.  It all helps especially when a lot of us can't work due to our mets or the side effects from our treatments.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Congratulations Helen on getting your PIP !!!! About time!! X
Julie x
Highlighted

Lol,if we ever meet the drinks are on me. Yes,the last eight weeks have dragged. But hopefully he'll get off his backside & do something tomorrow.
Huge hugs & thank you,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Wow helen so pleased for you..... That is fabulous news.... Hope you have the same success with your onc. L xxxxx
Highlighted

Helen, fantastic news. So, so pleased for you. Are you buying the drinks then now?!!!!! One more day till you see onc. I'm sure time has dragged but finally it's nearly here. Have a great day today and wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.
Much love and hugs,
Hxxx
Highlighted

Thank you lovely ladies xxxx round two with onc tomorrow lol.
Huge hugs to you all ,Helen xxxxxxx
Highlighted

That is so good Helen, no more than you deserve and encouragement for others to keep on trying. All the best for tomorrow!
Highlighted

Fantastic news helen you deserve it xxx
Highlighted

That's great news Helen! 😀 xx
Highlighted

Hi,ladies,just to let you know my PIP payment came through today and they are backdating it from August last year when I started claim. So please don't give up. If it wasn't for my MP and Mac advisor I think I'd still be waiting.
Huge hugs to you all,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

Desi things can change so quickly...... I asked if i could apply for a ds1500 only 10 days before i was diagnosed with brain mets and then it was rushed through.

I just wish id said can you guarantee i will still be here in 6 months and the answer is nobody can guarantee it..... But my onc wouldnt do it until i was on my 3rd line treatment which i think is a bit too regimented.

I actually had just applied for the PIP myself 5 days before i was dx with the brain mets but because they were there i had pressed the wrong button on my phone to apply under special rules instead of normal rules but the lady was really helpful and as i say i ended up getting special rules pushed through anyway.

Lulu xxxx
Highlighted

Thanks Ladies feeling less like I'm trying to rob somebody now. As you say probably won't be claiming a pension. I'm 49 brought up 3 children and never claimed benefits before I've always worked. So we'll see fingers crossed. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Desi I understand how you are feeling - I felt the same last year when I applied. I had had mets to bones for 2 years before and despite people saying I should apply did not want to because I was still able to lead a near normal life although being on letrozole I did feel like an 80 year old most mornings until I got myself up and going! But last year I started to have progression so had change of treatment and found I was getting breathless so decided to apply with my oncologist giving me a form DS1500. I was very lucky and the claim was paid quickly. I was still able to walk my dog most days but would get the odd day when I really struggled. Since then I have had to have chemo - one cycle to go. Whilst the chemo is not pleasant first impressions are that I feel much better in myself and the aches and pains have mostly gone (not being any hormone therapy I reckon). I do sometimes now wonder whether I should be eligible but in our situation things can change very quickly so for the moment I am going to continue as is - if when it expires I am still here and feeling ok I will review the position then.The extra money helps with help in garden etc and having worked all my life (now 57) I may well never receive my pension. You have every right to apply. I just believe that the rules should be clearer and that everybody with an incureable cancer diagnosis should be automatically entitled. I would give up everything to have my normal cancer free life back. Good luck and sorry for ramble.xx

Highlighted

Hi desi you have every right to apply. I had to apply under the normal rules which takes a lot longer hence the reason I'm still waiting. God luck with yours xx Let me know how you get on xx
Highlighted

Hi,desi,go for it. Nothing ventured ..... My mac advisor has been great chasing mine up. Still haven't got it but hopefully not long now. We should automatically get it. As you can change from hour to hour never mind week to week.
Good luck with your claim you deserve it,huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Ladies I have an appointment on Tuesday with Mac Millan advisor to help apply for PIP. I have mets to ribs and spine ct for lung next week but hopefully won't be! I don't use a walking aid but when pain is bad, which as I'm sure you all know varies from day to day and even throughout the day. Some days I walk my dog for 20-30 mins few days ago had to leave pharmacy in tears as I could not queue any longer having already had to queue in doctors for prescription I am on Letrozole use paracetamol, ibuprofen and morphine when needed. I still work but have cut my hours. I feel rathe embarrassed and anxious about applying but am being encouraged to do so by friends and family. My sister helps me a lot when I'm not to good but won't take any money for petrol parking costs ect. Basically am I wasting my time under these circumstances? I have read how some of you have been refused and my GP and BCN have already said no to ds1500. Xx
Highlighted

oh good luck soooooo keeping my fingers crossed for you xxxxx
Highlighted

Anita,don't give up please. Call the Macmillan advisor. Write to MP. It's so unfair we have to fight for this.
Huge hugs to you,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Good luck helen. I've given up with it now. I admire you perseverance you deserve it.

Anita xx
Highlighted

Hi,the mac advisor has just rang and informed me that Atos has sent response back to DWP (don't know what their decision is ,weather I'm getting it or not) the "big boss"from DWP had rang Mac advisor to inform him who in turn informed me. It's taken two letters from my MP( whose certainly getting my vote) & Macmillan advisor sending letters of complaint into DWP& atos . I'll get to hear decision in 4-6weeks. Which will be nearly a year from first applying ! I'll let you know if I get it.
Huge hugs to you all,Helen xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Thats good news at least getting it back dated.... But just a pain in the ass to do it all again xxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks,Julie ,fingers crossed it won't take another 10 months to sort. I must hold some record by now lol.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Helen,
Just wanted to wish you all the luck in getting your PIP sorted !!!! Can't believe they turned you down and asking to see you!!!! I was one of the lucky ones who had a lovely GP who completed the DS1500 form. Good luck.
Julie
X
Highlighted

Hi,lulu,I rang the Macmillan benefit man as I was so upset and he's got onto DWP & atos,also my MP has sent a letter to Atos. They told him they will try to sort it without a face to face or a home visit. Also Mc advisor has given me direct number to manager of DWP. He's been worth his weight in gold.also it will be back dated to last August when claim started. I'll let you all know when if ever it comes through. Hopefully soon as we all know how this dreadful disease can change.
Huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

Horrible response 😞

Can understand you being really angry and upset sweetie... Its the benefits people who always made me so upset....

Did you ask to speak to a manager Helen? I ended up in tears down the phone over child tax credits... The two females i spoke to were evil but i called up a guy and he was so lovely was about paying money back to them and when he said my final payment would be in jan 2016 i burst into tears.....

He then asked what had occurred i explained i hadnt put my claim in on time due broken right wrist and getting mets and he said oh no could have done it for you and he did and i didnt have to do anything..... He was so lovely he made me cry even more lol

But you would think the ones more likely to get BC would be the ones who would be more concerned.

Love Lulu xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi,Anita,speak of the devil. A letter from atos came today,saying I'll have to start the whole proses again because I cancelled. I rang DWP and told them they are very cruel to put terminal BC people through all this upset. I said we are not a bunch of people pretending to have bad backs to get benefits . We didn't choose to die and the whole process is cruel and a farce . All she said was I'm sorry and it's in Atos' hands now. I rang Atos who said yes I have to start again because I cancelled ,again very rude person who said well if you hadn't cancelled you would have had your appointment by now. Totally shocking system,grrrrrrrr
A really angry,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi,Anita,I'll let you know what happens,I've got letter from my MP saying he's rang them. So we will wait and see. Why we just can't get it automatically beggars belief ,this disease can change in days never mind months.
Take care &huge hugs,Helen xx
Highlighted

Oh lovely Lulu,you will still be around in 6 years bugger 6 months. You stay strong and keep kicking it's butt. Huge hugs coming your way,Helen xxxxxxxxxxxx
Highlighted

I did get my enhanced PIP and getting blue badge, two person bus pass and free tax disc.

But i was considered TOO WELL and the day i applied i probably was too well (on the friday) but within 5 days i wasnt too well any more and diagnosed with brain mets......

My Onc couldn't guarantee i would live six months and in the event i do make it that long its only really guess work..... But im still here at the mo! Lol
Highlighted

Hi all,

I have had a look on our website and have put you the link below to where disability living allowance is discussed.  If you would like to talk to someone further about this then our helpline team will be only too happy to help.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/finances-practical...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Oh my days Helen that is a ridiculous amount of time. These people do not seem to understand how stressful this is for us. They should try walking in our shoes for a while. Please let me know how you get on and I have everything crossed for you xx
Highlighted

Hi,Anita,I'm still waiting from last august! The Macmillan advisor filled my form in for me. He's now complained to Atos and my MP has complained to Atos!!
It's terrible that you can't claim anything . Cancer is classed as a disability & you have same rights as a disabled person.
I told my mac advisor it was a good job I didn't have 6 months to live with this farce !!!
I'd ask for another advisor who can help you with forms. It's disgusting the way we are treated we don't choose to have cancer as a way to get benefits . So many others pretending they can't work that get benefits
Huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

Hi can anyone help me with this. I'm still waiting to here from pip and waiting for my medical assessment as apparently I am not ill enough. I spoke to a nice macmillan guy at my local hospital who said I may be entitled to working tax credit because I have had to go part time. He then referred me to the macmillan local welfare lady who was so unhelpful. She basically said im not entitled to it because I don't get any other type of benefits grrrr they make everything so stressful. It asks on the form if you are disabled. Does anyone know what they class as disabled. I'm so upset after speaking to this lady. She would not even help me with the pip and said I will just have to wait and it takes 6 months. Any help would be greatly appreciated x
Highlighted

Evil gp. I get emla cream for daily fragmin injections.... (Dalteparin) blood clot thining injections.... Se a diff GP!

Sorry off topic a bit.

Presume i will now qualify for PIP/DLA under special rules since developing brain mets!!!

Lulu xxx
Highlighted

Hi,Julie,thank you,huge hugs to you xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi Helen,
I'm sorry to hear that your Dr's are unsympathetic!!!!!!! I'm lucky that the GP I first saw with my BC has continued to see and advise me. She is not my named GP, perhaps you could see someone else in the practice? It does at times feel like we are a burden once you are diagnosed with secondaries!!! We were unlucky to be diagnosed with both Primary and secondary BC !!!!! We need just as much support in fact even more!!! Do pursue your PIP you deserve it!!!!
Julie xxx
Highlighted

Hi,Julie,thank you xxx my doctor won't even give me a perscription for Emla cream to numb my tummy for my zolodex injection! He said oh they don't hurt that much and there over with quickly!!I've nearly jumped off table twice when she's hit a nerve. Just more anxiety in my life. I buy it my self now from chemist .
Take care and huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

Hi Helen,
I would go back to your GP and ask him to review your situation and say you are aware that it is for "terminally ill" patients, but you have secondaries and are entitled to this payment. The payment is paid for 3years and is then reviewed. I have been awarded the enhanced payment. I am now going to look to get my NHS pension early due to my ill health, I turned 50 the week I found swelling under my arm!!!
Hi Jane, the oncologist said he would scan me after 2 cycles, then that has now changed to after 3 cycles!!! It may change again when I see him tomorrow!!!!!
Julie x
Highlighted

Hi Madge

I was reading you post and your comment, possible liver mets. Are they going to do further scans or have they told you it's clear

Jane xx
Highlighted

Hi,fab news Madge xxx
My onc/dr wouldn't sign mine until I have 6months!! Even though I'm retiring thorough ill health! The Macmillan advisor filled my form in in August last year. I got an appointment in Feb this year to go to ATOS for interview but couldn't make it as I was too ill. Rude atos person said I couldn't make new appointment and would be sending my form back to DWP to start again on bottom of pile. I just give up!! Good job I didn't have 6months to live as it's been 9month and still no new appointment!