Disabled Person's Railcard

Hi all

I have just received my disabled person’s railcard, which I found out about at a BCC Secondary Cancer course recently (thanks BCC for putting me together with someone who already knew about it!).

I was amazed not to have known about it beforehand, as I thought I’d got most of the benefits sussed, so thought I’d post here in case anyone else would find the info helpful.

The railcard is available to anyone with DLA at higher or lower rate mobility, or higher or middle rate personal care, which are probably the most relevant eligibility categories for us, as we qualify if we receive DLA through the special rules DS1500. (If anyone with secondaries reading this hasn’t already applied for DLA then please speak up on this forum, feel free to PM me or whatever, as DLA opens doors to a lot of other benefits as well.)

You can get the railcard for either one or three years at a time and it entitles you to one third off most rail fares in GB. An adult companion would be entitled to the same discount!

Here’s the link for more info/form to download:
disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/buying-your-railcard

You might also qualify for a disabled bus pass, which you apply for initially through your local council, thereafter applications are renewed by the bus company I think. A disabled bus pass entitles you to free off-peak bus travel.

I’m off now to buy a train ticket for my summer holiday to Weymouth … which will pay for the cost of the railcard!

Best wishes.
Alison x

Hi Alison

Interested to see you posting on this topic. I have secondaries, and applied for DLA under Special Rules in 2009, then the disabled railcard. I have no mobility problems so I didn’t get any mobility component - however, I did receive my railcard, very quickly!

I had an unfortunate experience when I first used it,
breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/%22what-is-your-disability-%22-said-the-man-at-the-ticket-office-t26478.html
Hope this doesn’t happen to you or anyone else :slight_smile:
I have used the card twice since then, no problems! It offers a better discount than the Senior Railcard, by the way.

Thank you, Alison, for this post. I had no idea, but have now downloaded the forms. I’m hoping to travel to Aberdeen in September from near London with my elder sister (deaf) to see my younger sister and family who have returned to UK from China. This will be a great help and make it so much more affordable. As to the possible response from counter staff etc - I’m becoming innured to quizzical if not challenging looks from car park attendants, passing pedestrians and even not so sotto voce comments from people parking nearby so will be braced! Thanks again.

Hello mrsblue

Just skimmed thru your thread. How ghastly that you had to deal with someone like that. I shall have to prepare some suitable retort in case I get challenged by anyone myself!

Alison x

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much for posting this information as I had no idea you could get this.

As for the man at the rail station he should have known better. Obviously limited on customer service etiquette.

This disease has taught me the old cliche ‘Never judge a book my its cover’. I know I get the most horrific looks when I use my disabled badge because I look alright, mainly by the older people.

Once again thanks - I’ve just downloaded the forms and just off to post them

Hope you’re all well.

Chris
xx

Hi, All,

Glad that I found this website. I am just confirmed having cancer when I have arrived here just for months. I know very little about the benefits here or not sure whether I can have any benefits for I am having spouse visa only. I am Chinese and cannot speak fluent English.

I am really lonely for I don’t know how to drive or even no relatives here. I am going to meet my relative tomorrow and I need to take the cheapest way there. Any recommendation?

J.Chan

Thankful for this info I have to travel for 4 hours to get down to hospital and cost is an issue.