Disappointment re: Peer Support

I rang the Helpline requesting Peer Support as I wasn’t sure if what I’m experiencing after bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders is normal or not. I explained that I was experiencing a LOT of pain and tightness in my chest to the extent that I wasn’t sleeping or resting during the day and that I wanted to speak to someone who’d been through the same process, for reassurance basically. 3 weeks later I got a letter saying that it hasn’t been possible to find me anyone!!!

I am so disappointed. My surgery was almost 7 weeks ago and the discomfort isn’t really lessening, in fact my Consultant has increased my pain medication and started me on Tramadol and Lorazepam which makes me feel sick so I’m now on anti-emetics too!!

I spoke to my Breast Care Nurse on Thursday and she told me that ut’s unusual to still have this much discomfort at this stage. She also told me that some women are left permanently able to feel their implants in the way that I describe.

Needless to say I’m feeling very down. On the American website Continued Expander Pain seems to be a hot topic with lots of women in the same position as me but I don’t find it talked about much on here. Why is that? Am I SO unusual?

I just wanted to say that I am feeling for you and thinking of you. I wish there was something that I could say to make you feel better. I just pray that the pain subsides and that you are able to rest and feel better in yourself.

Sending you a big hug :slight_smile: xxxx
Sharon xx

HI Lily, Moonshine said about meeting on Wednesday. I spke to her on Friday pm. Can you make this??

Hi lily200, I have spoken to moonshine and we are meeting up on Wednesday at 1pm at the centre of town at the central signpost (next, starbucks crossroads). It would be lovely to see you and moonshine said if any others wanted to join us for coffee that is ok.

Sharon xx

Hi trumumshow,
sorry I am a pea brain and posted last message without the part for you, got side tracked as had not heard from Sharon since op. Forgive me! I have not had the same treatment but wanted to wish you well. It seems like along time to not be picking up, so if you are still not any better I think I would speak to your BCN and ask to go in to see the surgeon to check how things are. They might even know why it feels so bad, perhaps it was difficult to stretch the skin or something like that. I am not too knowledgeable on this. If I speak to my BCN about anything I get ordered in the next day.
Hoping this finds you brighter and sorry again
Lily x

I am feeling for you and hoping you are getting better soon too. It is disappionting about the peer services but don’t let other people’s behaviour let you down.

A big verture hug and many good wishes

take care
xxx