Dismissal on ill health /ill health retirement

Hi I have worked for the nhs for 28 years approx , due to have long term sick hearing where I have been informed by union rep that I will probably be dismissed on grounds of capabilities due to ill health. Have been off work for 12 months with recurrance and secondaries to lung, just had double mastectomy and 6 months chemo.

Not sure that I can manage to return to work but have been told that the hearing is likely to recommend ill health retirement, do I have to be dismissed first, will this increase my chances of getting ihr?

Advice would be great , very stressful situation

Thanks

Sarah x

I have been a union rep (NUT) for many years so maybe NHS is the same as teaching:1. is your union rep your workplace rep or someone from Union offices i.e. a paid official? I would suggest the latter is better equipped to support you.2. if you are dismissed on capability ground DUE TO HEALTH CONCERNS I am pretty sure you automatically get the ill-health pension scheme - of course the chances are there won’t be any enhancement, but you should get credit for all years you have paid in, both for monthly pension and lump sum. Generally ill health retirements are dealt with sensitively - there are very few of them - so it is really important that your health difficulties are given a full airing at the hearing. Dreadful I know, hearing strangers discussing your breast cancer, but grit your teeth… I am assuming you’ve now run out of paid sick leave entitlement under the NHS scheme - if not, check where you are up to with that. 

All the very best grumpy