cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Have Lymphoedema?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Do I Have Lymphoedema?

Don't know if this helps - MX March 2011 followed by rads & now Tamoxifen. I have developed lymphodema in my chest wall under my arm on the MX side, but also have had a problem with lots of adhesions on the MX side. I developed a very painful shoulder on the MX side about 3 weeks ago - after x-rays it was decided to be tendonitis from an old injury (30 years ago), a worn joint (life and usage) and the fact that I am doing things differently on that side (the way I use my arm) because of the MX and the adhesions. Ibuprofen made a huge difference (with a few paracetomol now and then) and am due to start physiotherapy tomorrow to work out what I am doing differently that I need to stop to ease the stress on the joint and tendons. I too have heard of the frozen shoulder. The bit of lymphodema I get makes wearing bras (anything tightish that side uncomfortable), which I bury under loose layers and scarves....

Highlighted

hi laraine

What you've described sounds identical to what I am going through at the moment. My GP said it was the beginnings of a possible frozen shoulder which is not uncommon after an mx and can come on months after the op. Last night he gave me a cortisone injection into the bursa (the padding that helps protect our joints) and the relief was almost immediate. We did debate about the whole LD risk versus getting rid of the pain issue and he said that it would be fine if he could get the needle in first time and that he would not try more than once. I decided that it was worth the risk to not be in pain.

*Definitely* seek medical advice either at your check up or with your GP as there's no sense in suffering when it could be helped.

Nymeria x

Highlighted

I agree with Norberte it could be a number of things possibly lymphodema but more likely to do with the surgery or with the arthritis.

I've had a lot of shoulder problems following my mx and axillary node clearance. I do have lymphodema but that's a completely separate issue from my shoulder pain. My physio in the musculo-skeletal clinic says she sees a lot of women suffering from shoulder pain following this type of surgery.

If the surgeon thinks its not lymphodema, I would urge you to get a referral to a rheumatologist or physio depending on what he says. Don't suffer in silence. Elinda x

Highlighted

post deleted

Highlighted

Thanks Andie, I have a breast clinic appointment on 1st September so will mention it then.
Laraine xx

Highlighted

Hi laraine

I'm new to lymphoedema myself so not really able to offer much advise ,are you still in touch with your BCN. Maybe you could give her a ring, to explain and ask for a referral to an LD nurse for an assessment
. Surely it would be better to check it out with someone who can reassure you.

Good luck

Andie

Highlighted

Do I Have Lymphoedema?

Hi all,
Can anyone out there help me? I have had bad shoulder pain which then moved down my arm to between my shoulder and my elbow. It feels tender when I touch it and is restricting movement. Before chemo 5 years ago, I had rhuematoid arthritis and I'm not sure if it's that creeping back again, or could it be Arimidex which I have been taking for almost 3 years. (I finish with that in January). I do have pains in other joints too but those pains stay in the joints and don't move anywhere. Forgot to say it's the side I had mx.
Hope someone can help. xx