Do I need a second opinion

Hi I posted a few weeks ago after having a triple assessment for a lump & thickened lymph nodes . My biopsy came back as B1 normal . This result came through from a fax to my doctor , since my 1st appointment at the breast clinic there has been no further correspondence from the hospital or follow up and other than the fax I’ve had nothing in writing to confirm those results.
I’ve been left wondering what the lump is ?why is it there ? Will it be monitored ? I still have pain in my left breast and it feels hard at the side , if it’s normal then why is that ? Obviously they were concerned enough with the mammograms and ultrasound to perform biopsys and on the result it stated symptomatic but no one has explained to me what it is , do I need a second opinion ?
Jan xx

Oh dear! Before you start worrying about a second opinion you definitely deserve to have the first opinion explained to you properly. It seems very strange not to have been given an appointment at the breast clinic to discuss the outcome and implications. Were you given contact details for a breast care nurse who you can phone to find out about follow up?
Kitt
X

On the day of assessment she asked how I would like to be informed of the results , I said by phone, that way I thought I wouldn’t be reading too much into a “you need to come back” letter. Or stressing whilst in the waiting room with a follow up appointment . But after my 2week wait I phoned them only to find that my BCN was on holiday and no one could give my results over the phone so I asked my doctors to request they fax the results to them . I then went to collect the fax from the receptionist . I haven’t even discussed the results with my GP I only know what B1 means as I googled it !!! So 3weeks on and I’m wondering where I go from here ? Jan xx

Any time you are still concerned and your questions aren’t answered, a second opinion is a good option.  or you could go back and question the doc that sent the fax.  A fax, really?  So impersonal and no way for you to ask questions. 

I have to say, Jan, I’m shocked that your GP left you hanging like that. It sounds like there is a very good chance your lump is something like a benign lipoma but you need to be told by someone who knows! You need to know where you go from here, what to expect and what to look out for and if it was me I would be wanting to hear that from the breast clinic, not from my GP.
Maybe my situation was different because at the first appointment I was already warned it would most likely be cancer but there was never any question of anything other than a face to face consultation to receive results. You need to see someone to put your mind at rest.
Hugs,
Kitt
X

It all sounds very unbelievable doesn’t it !!? I’m apaulled at the experience I’ve had to be honest it’s quite shocking . I received a call this morning from the breast clinic stating that my results are in and sorry I appear to have been overlooked ? this was because the BNC was on holiday and said they couldn’t tell me my results over the phone but would get the BNC to draft up a letter and forward on to me … Again they obviously don’t know about the results being faxed through .
I’d like to think when the letter arrives there will be a follow up appointment attached even if it’s in 6 mths to keep an eye on it … Won’t hold my breath !!! Jan xx