Do I now need MRI Scan as well as mammogram?

I just wondered if anyone had been in the same position as me and could offer some much-needed advice?

To cut a very long story short, I had a mammogram in Feb16 which came back negative.  However, in Oct 16 I found a lump and was diagnosed with HER2+ breast cancer with some node involvement.  Chemotherapy, mastectomy and RT followed and I am currently having Herceptin every 3 weeks until Feb 18.

As it is a year since I was diagnosed I am due to have my annual mammogram - given that the mammogram I had in Feb last year did not pick up the cancer (due to dense breast tissue) I am concerned that I will have the same problem from now on and that if there is anything there it might get missed.  I therefore asked my consultant about having an MRI scan as a back up - he was non-commital and said he would leave that decision to me; whilst he understood my concern he felt that MRI’s can pick things up which then require additional tests and stress.

Has anyone else had a similar situation as I really don’t know what to do for the best?

Cookiepuss

Hi Cookiepuss

I haven’t been in your situation exactly, but mine was diagnosed  2 years after a clear routine mammo (not 8 months). When I queried why it hadn’t been picked up then I was told it was because it would have been too small to see in 2014. Fair enough, but I  know I’d jump at the chance of an MRI next month when my first annual mammo is due if I were given the choice, purely because I’d like the peace of mind that another sort of diagnostic would give that nothing had been missed, even though I know that is probably irrational.

I undersand that MRIs can sometimes highlight “false positives” so I get what your consultant is saying about more tests if that happened, but personally  I’d prefer to have the temporary stress of a few more tests, rather than an ongoing niggling worry that something had been missed at the mammo. It’s obviously a diffiicult decision for you though, and only you can make it, but I guess you  have to do a pros and cons list and see which one is longer? Good luck with whichever way you decide to go. xx

Hi cookiepuss
Personally I would opt for the Mri. Then you would definitely know that it’s all clear. And with all these things, it’s better to detect anything sooner rather than later.
I had an MRI and it’s fine.
Sue xx

Hi Cookiepuss, after finding a lump last year, a mammogram did not show it also due to dense breast tissue, but it did show up on the ultrasound. I will now have an ultrasound to compliment the mammogram until such time as my tissue is no longer dense (which will happen as I age). I certainly welcome the reassurance of an additional check. Michelle xx

My mammogram showed one lump, my MRI showed another 6, my mx confirmed 10. So i would opt for MRI - only reason my mammogram only showed one lump was because of dense breast tissue.