Do I really have to wait a week before being referred?

Hello,
I would like to ask if it is the normal procedure to have to wait a week before my GP will refer me to the hospital?
I have recently noticed a red blotch on my right breast near my nipple. It is not raised, itchy, swollen but did think at first it may be eczema.
But looking at it closer I dont think it is. My daughter has it so I know what it looks like.
I did the worst thing to do and looked on the internet for ideas. Every times it points to IBC.
Now I have read that this is extremly aggressive and as you can tell from the time of this post, I cant sleep with worry and feel sick with so many thoughts going through my head.
My GP has told me to use hydrocortizone cream for a week to see if it clears. If the blotch is still there she will refer me to the hospital.
I really dont know if I can cope with waiting a week. I dont know how you ladies out there cope with this.
Is it protocol to do this before getting a referral.
Any advise would be great
Thank you

Hi Anita. I hope you managed to get some sleep last night. I too had the same worries about IBC, and did exactly the same as you and googled…which made me feel worse and very anxious. I had mastisis, sore swollen breast, dimpled skin etc., GP put me on antibiotics for a week and was told to go back after a week for checkup, and possible referral to hospital. During this week I was convinced I had IBC mainly due to ‘Dr Google’. Turns out it was plain old mastisis, but GP referred me anyway. Try not to worry, not easy I know! It does help posting on this site, as others like me, have been in the exact position as you, and know how distressing it can be during this time.
Jac x

Hi Anita and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the valuable support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Worried’ web page where you will find further information which I hope you will find useful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

Best wishes

Lucy BCC

Thank you both,
No sleep im afraid and my head is over analying everything.
I hope to god it is Eczema. Didnt go into work today either, would have been pretty useless. Ive spoken to my husband and my mum about this, but Im not going to mention this to my daughter, we are extremly close and hopefully its not cancer, so no need to worry her. The waiting and not knowing is unbearable.
Jacx - Im glad it was only Mastisis, although im sure it was painfull.
Lucy - Thank you for the link and the telephone number, I will check them out.

Thank you for your help

Hi there i appreciate you are worried as i was before my diagnosis but i just wanted to say that unfortunately waiting is a something you have to get used to on this journey. I was referred straightaway by the GP but had to wait 10 days for the actual appointment at the hospital then 4 days for the results when i was diagnosed. After that i had to wait another 10 days untill i had scans to find out exactly what i had and how bad it was and there was another couple of weeks to wait untill my chemo started. I had my last chemo 3 weeks ago and had more scans the same week but dont get the results untill next week when i meet my surgeon. I guess u have to find ways to get through the waiting by trying to distract your mind where possible be it with work, children or doing something nice and treating yourself. I’m sorry u find yourself amongst us and hope that your blotch dissapears of turns out to be something not too serious but rest assured that u will get fantastic advice and support from this site if it is more serious. Good luck. Sian xx

Hi Anita, firstly let me say that for me a touch of googlitis really helped me feel empowered with more knowledge once I had had my referral, however do be VERY aware that google works on key words and tags and to the layperson you may not get a balanced view, there are lots of mild diseases too!, so please please come off google if it is scaring you and ring the helpline here, they are FAB. For me I had a BC of the nipple which is NOTinvasive and has been treated successfully since being referred end sept 2012 and i am cancer free now, so even if it turns out to be the news we don’t want you to have, cancer is unique, we are unique and there are many who have very short cancer journeys, it’s amazing what they can do. We are here to support you too. Good luck, and hugz, Jayne.

Thank you for your kind words ladies,
Ive managed to have a good night sleep, and do feel much better.
Ive spent alot of time with my mum and husband today and feel better for that too.
You ladies are so strong, and I know if I get the worst news ever ive got to get on with it. We lost my father in law 3 weeks ago to Mesothelioma (Asbestos Cancer) and my dad to the same disease 3 years ago.
I do realise that the hospitals and doctors are very busy people and that they do some fantastic work.
I know i’m no different from any one else, but I cant stop thinking the worst all the time.
Thank you again

Hi Anita, so glad you managed a good sleep, I find it helps more than I realised, and quality family time is precious. I am sorry you and your family have had such a rough time and your emotions are all entirely understandable and valid, it takes time to process things like this and worrying is always a part of it, but please try to do the things that are important to you and dont spiral down with worry, it will not help you. You come across as an incredibly brave and strong lady and that and the support of your family will carry you through, good luck with everthing and this forum is fab and so are the people:) hugz jayne

Hi Anita, so glad you managed a good sleep, I find it helps more than I realised, and quality family time is precious. I am sorry you and your family have had such a rough time and your emotions are all entirely understandable and valid, it takes time to process things like this and worrying is always a part of it, but please try to do the things that are important to you and dont spiral down with worry, it will not help you. You come across as an incredibly brave and strong lady and that and the support of your family will carry you through, good luck with everthing and this forum is fab and so are the people:) hugz jayne