359828posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do consultants words mean it is cancer?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Do consultants words mean it is cancer?

Hi Booboo11. What saffronseed said is extremely good advice and I couldn't have put it better.

I wish you the best of luck with your results and send you a big hug.
x x
Highlighted

Hi, many thanks for responding. It all just feels very surreal.  Hopefully will get results soon so I can move forward what ever the results.

X

Highlighted

Hi Booboo11

Welcome to the BCC forum where I'm sure you will find lots of support from fellow members.

You might also find it helpful to call our Helpline to talk things over.  They'll be able to offer you practical information and emotional support.  The opening hours are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Highlighted

The consultants will not say it is definately cancer until they have the biopsy results to confirm but if pressed they do give an opinion and all they can say is by the look of the lump and based on their experience.  A 5 answer seems that he is almost certain it is cancer and he is preparing you for when you get your results - obviously the results may come back and its  not cancer at all and if that is the case you can heave a sigh of relief - but I do find they don't like to mislead for lull you into a false sense of security.  When you go back for your results take someone with you so they can concentrate on what is being said too as whatever he says you will find afterwards you don't remember or have forgotton as its a lot to take in.   Waiting for the results is the worst part and I know it will be so hard for you not to keep thinking about it and thinking of the best/worse case scenario but there is nothing you can do at the moment to change it.  The upside is that you will definately know one way or another soon, and if good news thats great, if not good news then at least you will have a treatment plan and know what the next steps are, the type of cancer you have and the support of your team.  Also this site which is a useful source of info.   Try not to google as the info is out of date and can frighten - take one day at a time.   wishing you good luck for your results and lots of hugs - we have all been where you are now we know how it feels xxxxx

Highlighted

Do consultants words mean it is cancer?

Hi, I'm new to these forums and would appreciate some views/others experiences. I'm 38 and attended appointment at breast clinic last week for a lump found a couple of weeks ago. Had the full works, physical exam, mammograms,ultrasound, 4 biopsies on the lump and FNA under arm. The radiologist was honest and said the lump looks very suspicious and the consultant  would discuss further. Another short stint in waiting room and was called back in to see consultant.  Again very honest and he said the ultrasound shows a highly suspicious area of concern. I asked what that means and he replied using the scale 1 to 5, 1 being not cancerous and 5 being cancerous your lump is a 5. I was then told I would be called back to discuss the biopsy results and discuss a treatment plan. Although I wasn't directly told 'you have breast cancer', I am assuming from what the consultant said that it is looking like thats what it is. I suppose I want to know would he have said this if there was any doubt? Obviously still feel in limbo but woukd appreciate the views/advise from anyone with similar experience.