Do periods return after FEC ?

I had chemo in feb 08 just wondering if anyone’s periods returned after fec, i was 41 at start of treatment,

Are there blood tests you can have to check if you can concieve? this is something i want to avoid!

Thanks
Sarah66

Hi,

Difficult question…I was 44 at the start of treatment in Feb 06 and had one period after my first dose of FEC and that was it. A year later they still hadn’t come back so I was given a blood test that checks FSH levels. That’s Follicle Stimulating Hormone …this indicates if you are post menapausal or not.

I was, and was switched from Tamoxifen to Arimidex. Hope this helps.

Sheana x

Hi,

I was 40 (only just!) at the start of my FEC chemo in Jan 08. My last chemo was May 08 and i had a period two weeks ago. Waiting to see if they are back for good!.

Judith.

Hi

Started FEC (3) in April and had normal periods until I started TAX (3) in June. Haven’t had a period since (age 41) and onc says probably won’t come back.

Anita

started FEC in Jan 08

had very big period Feb/March

then nothing

then had Tax - still nothing

however - did notice a “moody” pattern and amay haave ben hormonal - but without the periods …

then had radiothrapy (almost finished 33 sessions)

now periods trying to come back - I’ve had 3 mini-ones in 3 weeks … all up the creek!

love FB xx

good luck! i always thought I’d miss them but I LOVED not having them!

I was 45 when I started FEC in November 2006. I had my last period the week after I had my lymph nodes taken out in the October and have not had a period since. I was confirmed as post menopausal a year ago. Everything just seemed to stop overnight, no real evidence of hot flushes or anything.

I was told by the Surgeon before I started FEC that chemo would make me menopausal. I had been perimenopausal for about 3 years and was having a lot of period problems so I was glad not to have them tbh. I’m now on topical oestrogen for vaginal dryness and my libido has come back; I’ve also stopped being short tempered on it, have better concentration and sleep soundly.

Hi Sarah,

My periods stopped just after my 5th Fec ( I was 39). I didnt have one for 8 months. I was on Tamoxifen and getting hot flushes etc. I asked my Onc if I could still get pregnant and she said that very possibly. I therefore sent my husband for a vasectomy as we have 2 kids.

I have since had 3 very normal periods exactly 28 days apart and my hot flushes have stopped. I,d rather keep my periods thank you very much.

Lots of love Andrea xx