Do we all let our imaginations take over?

I have secondary cancer in my spine, pelvis and skull. There has also been some 'shadows ’ in my peritoneal tissue.
The secondaries were discovered about six weeks after my initial Dx. I have had a bilateral Mx with no reconstruction and am taking LETROZOLE, Zometa every 4 weeks and Adcal…

My last scan, nearly six months ago was very encouraging…no further spread some reduction in the bone mets and the peritoneal tissue was -“almost completely resolved” - On the whole I feel okay and try to remain upbeat. I was diagnosed just as I retired from work so a lot of the travel plans that my OH and I had have had to be abandoned , but we have replaced them with other less ambitious plans. My husband is great and I have a good family, all grown up and settled - but near enough to be part of their lives and I see my grandchildren often. I still see friends and we have lunch etc. and I attend a haven centre, and also a secondary cancer group. I really try to count my blessings which are numerous as I have said.

Last Wednesday I had my 9th Zometa infusion. Apart from the first one I have never had much of a reaction to them. However on Friday I started to feel ill, temperature, shivery, really achey and upset stomach. I put this down to the infusion. On the whole now most of the symptoms have gone apart from the diarrhoea which is dreadful. I just do not have any control over my bowels…fortunately there is not much left inside of me, and my hubby is a brick, changed my bed, cleaned the toilet and washed my PJs and undies etc.

At first I thought it was a reaction to the Zometa, and maybe it is. I had lunch out on both Wednesday and Thursday so I also thought it could be something that I ate. I have also imagined ( it’s running away from me) that it could be Malignant Spinal Cord Compression or (imagination again) or even the beginning of the problems that I am aware will one day start to rear their head.

Of course it’s the weekend so I can 't phone anyone either. Does anyone else have an over active imagination? Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to Zometa?

Sorry I have gone on a bit but I’ve got it off my chest now, some things you just can 't say to your loved ones. And I only had to stop typing to go to the toilet once…and I made it…perhaps I am getting better!!!

Love to all

Sorry Lynn. I can’t help i am not on that treatment just wanted to say hello I hope others can help you
Take care Mara. x

Hi Lynn I had Zometa for 18 months and only ever had a shivery, flu like reaction to the first one. Whenever i had my zometa infusions I was told to drink lots of water for the few days following so with your diarrhoea, it will be important to drink even more. I’m not a doctor but I would hazard a guess that you’ve perhaps just picked up a nasty bug or got a touch of food poisoning. Unfortunately when we have cancer and have anything wrong with us, we immediately think it’s related to the cancer when often, it’s actually just a normal everyday bug. I do hope you’re feeling a bit better now but if you are still worried, do you have an out of hours number from your chemo unit that you could ring? Xx

Hi,Lynne,I don’t think you are alone with you’re over active imagination . Zometa can have awful side effects ,my first one was like yours,second one okay and I think this third one has caused all my rib pain. I’m not an expert ,but a lot of the ladies on here have had more experience than me with side effects.i know what you mean about no one to phone,I think we only are allowed to have problems 9-5 mon-fir.which I think is dreadful and someone should be around.
I wish you all the best and take care,big hug,Helen xx

I have been running to the loo for the last couple of days, though it seems to have settled down a bit now.  It really is difficult to tell what the cause is, unless you start to recognise a pattern after threatment … and on the third day …

I work in a college so with 3000 learners (as they are now called) many of whom are new and others have been doing heaven only knows what over the summer, there are lots of nasties floating around.

I would point out that you are on chemo, just not on cytotoxic chemo which is what is generally though of as chemo.  You are having intravenous chemical therapy so you can still call the chemo department to get advice.  Also it is often the chemo nurses that have a better idea of side effects and how to deal with them, than the doctors because they are actually giving the stuff and talking to the patients.  They have the practical knowledge.

Always mention any problems to them and don’t suffer in silence.  There may be something that could help.  I was talking to one lady in clinic who was saying about the side effects and I told her she must say something about it because there are anti-emetic and other treatments that can be effective.  Always remember that if the first one doesn’t work there are plenty of others to stop sickeness and diarrhoea; it’s just a matter of finding the right one.

Vicki xxx