cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ride a motorbike?

21 REPLIES 21
Mummytumbles

Re: Do you ride a motorbike?

used to ride a motor bike but stopped when hubbie pleaded with me not to as it might kill me lol (that was 20 yrs ago)
Ohhh feel inspired to to redo CBT!
Btw i have lymphoedema only mild mind you but enough to hurt and lets put it this way i did what I was told and I still got it - now waiting for an assessment for a sleve - so ride those bike & climb those walls and enjoy life - debsfromcornwall (RIP) said that when you feel like riding a bike get on with it as you might not be able to tomorrow - i hope I'm quoting her right.
all best xxxxxRachel

Sabby

Hi all

Great to read there are other bikers on here, thanks for all the advice and the link to the NABD.

Riding my bike (Bonneville T100) is the one thing that is guaranteed to lift my spirits, I'd be gutted if I'm advised not to after surgery next month. I'm having withdrawal symptoms now because I haven't ridden since New Years Eve due to the snow! Although it's thawing slowly here in Norfolk so I hope to be and about very soon.

Can't believe how cold my head is now I'm bald! Every little breeze finds its way into my helmet regardless of layers of buffs and skull caps.

Shiney side up

S

fairyem

Thanks, interesting reading.
Em

crispy

Hi Em

second post in this series mentions a keen climber (its not the post I was looking for but may help.

Crispy

Lanterna

NABD rally 8th-10th May in Cheshire, don't know if i can make it cause of prior commitment to Harley Sportster/Vintage rally same weekend, but looks like a laugh.

Enjoy your bikes, boats and mountains, girls, and maybe see you in a field sometime!

Keep the rubber side down,

L x

Geraldine

What a good idea! Never thought about NABD. There were a few NABD members at the Simmer Dim on Shetland, including one guy ( a wheelchair user) who'd ridden over on his own sidecar outfit. It certainly made me think "If he can do, what the heck am I worried about"!!!!!

Geraldine

Lanterna

Just another last comment, Dee, have you contacted NABD (National Association of Bikers with Disabilities). They have tons of experience in dealing with keeping bikers with all sorts of problems on the road. Fantastic people, and they certainly know how to party! I bet lymphodoema isn't unknown to them. Google for advice, and good luck!

L x

SarahAL

Hi
I had full lymph node clearance, and explained to my surgeon that I sail, do yoga twice a week, pilates and other gym work like free-weights (5KG). My surgeon said fine, just try not to get a cut or infection in that arm (nothing about not exercising it, lifting weights etc.). So I am careful, but still do all these things.

People who take regular exercise have a lower risk of recurrence - I think if you enjoy it go for it, the benefits outweigh the risks. To totally avoid any possibility of damaging your arm, you would just end up sitting at home doing nothing!

Sarah

justme

Sorry Dee - only just catching up on threads! Family scandals (probably only interesting to me and no gold coins or links to Royalty I'm afraid) but here goes with one of my scandals:

My 2 x Great Grandfather, a Hackney cab driver in Kensington and also a drunk (many cabbies were in those days, and always sat quaffing ale in the "tap room" between jobs) picked up a fare just before the end of his night shift, at 8am one morning in May 1872, taking two clergyman to a seminar at the Oratory.

Not surprisingly, the clergymen endured quite a journey, with the cab veering from one side of the cobbled road to the other, and rapped several times on the roof and shouted at the inebriated driver to slow down. Eventually there was a thud, and a big bump, before the horses came to a standstill, whereupon the clergy alighted from the cab to find my 2 x Great Grandfather pinned beneath the wheels, having fallen from his perch, mortally injured. He was taken to the chemist (!!), who insisted he be taken to hospital, and he died there some hours later from a ruptured liver. Sadly he left behind a newly pregnant penniless wife and two little boys (one of whom was my Gt Grandfather).

A couple of years later Lord Shaftesbury introduced the cab shelters - there are still a couple left in London, I believe - where non-alcoholic drinks were served, in an effort to prevent so many accidents involving drunken cabbies.

I got all this information from the inquest report as published in the local paper of the day, and kept at the library in the area the fatality occured, having initially sent for his death certificate where cause of death stated "violent, run over by cab - inquest held".

xxx

Lanterna

Hi all,

I belt around on a 19 year old Harley, and that includes rallies. Much reduced mileage in 2008 (dx in January), mainly cause I was bothered by the thought of fatigue during chemo. I don't use the bike for commuting or short trips, just for fun - it's a big brute, and I live in London, so coping with big-city traffic is like steering an enraged rhino round town. But still managed a couple of rallies and regular meets with biker buddies throughout treatment. Geraldine's right, bikers are very good at looking after people!

I can't really see how a bike would adversely affect an at-risk arm. I had only 3 nodes removed, but nobody thought biking would be a problem, either post-SNB or breast surgery. And I did ask...after all, there's a rumour that Harleys shake...and actually the vibes through the bars can be enough to shake my eyeballs. But no probs, although haven't had Level 2 clearance. I think there's some very good advice in some of the posts above.

The bike for me is more than a means of transport, it's freedom, it's therapy. It clears the head and stirs the soul. It puts a big grin on my face, and you meet some fantastic people on two wheels.

Enjoy your Ducati, Dee, and maybe see some of you on the road sometime. Here's to better weather!

L x

Geraldine

Hi Dee, I was diagnosed in Aug 2006, had mastectomy on the 14th, grade 2 tumour and DCIS, lost 14 lymph nodes in my right arm. I ride a 535 Virago and went to a bike rally in scotland (I live in Co. Durham) 6 weeks after surgery. My next rally was after chemo and rads finished in April 2007- another Scottish rally. I was in my tent and asleep by 9.30 the night my husband and I rode up so no bad a** biker chick that weekend. We did another 4 Scottish rallies that year, including going to Skye.Since then, I've never looked back. Last year we went to the Simmer Dim rally on Shetland. On the way over we met another couple on bikes- another woman biker who'd had a mastectomy slightly earlier than me. She's been to the big rally in Faro, Portugal and rides a Cagiva Raptor. We also went to Orkney last year in the summer, and I still carry my share of the camping gear. The only problems I've had are a loss of strength in my right arm and some loss of feeling/pins and needles as a result of my surgery. I can't pull my bike around the way I used to but that's where husbands come in handy! Lots of people at the rallies we go to know my circumstances and are only to happy to help- bikers are very good at looking after people. My BC nurse had the view that whatever has happened, you have to be able to live your life. I have had no problems with my arm, no lymphodeoma. I keep it clean, moisturised, attend to cuts quickly and that's about it. So, if you love rifding your bike, I'd say go for it. We lose enough to this disease without losing everything we love doing.

Live to ride, ride to live.
Geraldine

DecemberDee

Dee, Claire & Lyn

Wow genealogy eh Dee? Mmmm, maybe I'll take a look too, could do with something funny to have a laugh about as the weather makes everything look dull!! Come on then, tell us girlies about some of the scandals - dark attic full of half crumpled documents hinting at a heraldic shield, gold coins wrapped in an old embroidered cloth etc .... we await the next instalment!!

Biking: I think you're all right, it's a case of think - can I get out of this if I go in/up here, wait for a bigger traffic gap rather than rush in to a turn etc. Of course we all still have our memories and that is at least something that can't be taken away.

I must admit this 'C' experience has made me feel more vulnerable and from some aspects that's not a bad thing as it makes you appreciate life more but then it also makes you feel a bit insecure which is maybe not so good. Still, until I get this chemo etc out the way I think 'Ellie' will have to have hubby take her out for exercise!!

Just got an appointment (Friday) to go for my heart test to see if it's healthy enough to receive the chemo ..... derr, I know they have to test you out before starting chemo, but, it just sounds so funny that they need to see I'm 'healthy' enough first (hey ho, you've just removed my left boob how healthy do you reckon I am)!!

Stay smiling all and I'll let you know what patterns I make on the heart scan!!

Have a healthy 2009 all!!

Dee

xx

lyndu

Dee and Claire, you have me lusting after getting back on a bike again... Those brilliant days in spring when the sun finally comes out and you have a really nice bit of road!
Sadly I live in west London now so it's not as appealing as it used to be - a courier (trying to outdrag someone else at the lights - damn stupid bloke) came off practically under my wheels a couple of months ago and I must admit I was really badly shaken - if I'd hit him I could have killed him. I'm not sure I haven't lost my nerve.

Incidentally, Dee, forgot to say - in April I managed to break both arms, involving putting a plate in the wrist on my mastectomy side and being in plaster for about five weeks - and touch wood, that hasn't resulted in lymphoedema either.
In fact the bcn who had been so adamant I should treat the mastectomy side as if it was made of glass was fairly unhelpful when I asked what I could do to minimise the risk now. Told me there shouldn't be any problems!

Lyn

Valkyrie

Hi Dee

I've not ridden any bike since dx April 08. I have a Yamaha Radian 600 (US import) which is not on the road at the minute but ride pillion on OH's Honda Valkyrie. I've felt vulnerable since radiotherapy - ribs sore and creaky so thinking about consequences of a spill . . . . BUT now thinking about getting a 250 of some sort which lets me get the thrill of riding without the weight of close quarter manoevering plus getting that fantastic feeling of freedom. Hope you can get back on your Ducati - if you plan your rides and parking techniques (eg backing into parking spaces and avoiding hills) you should be able to let the engine take the weight when getting out of tight spaces.

I passed my direct access bike test 7 years ago as part of my 40th birthday - best thing I ever did 🙂

Claire x

justme

Lol Dee, well I DID go pillion on a Mod's Lambretta with a tiger tail hanging off the back around 1966 - does that count?

The hobby that keeps me smiling is far more boring (to some folk anyway) and it's genealogy. You wouldn't BELIEVE the family scandals I've discovered!!

By the way, there used to be a girl on here who was a biker, her boardname may have been bikergirl (not absolutely certain) try the search facility.

Happy New Year all!

(by the way, I'm another Dee xx)

DecemberDee

Hi Eal, Lyndu, Mole, Justme

THANK YOU - for giving such good advice!!

I'm keeping 'Ellie (my Ducati) for now and I think wearing a 'sleeve' sounds like a great suggestion as a bit of added protection. I don't need to haul Ellie around much as the garage is on the level and most of the time hubby is riding too so any problems he can sort them out for me!! So, my aim is some good weather maybe April/May time to see if I can just 'pootle' about for a short distance to start with!

Interesting the list of 'don'ts' we're all given, I think you're all quite right though, a lot is just being sensible and knowing how your body feels.

Lyndu - sounds like we have a lot in common but did things the opposite way around. I lived abroad for some years and after a year's exams ended up as a PADI Divemaster (and an amateur underwater photographer) before taking up motorbikes - maybe we should all get together and re-write the 'You can 'do it after BC' manual!!

Justme - try it sometime even if it's only as a pillion passenger - it's great, the sense of freedom and the whole 'travel' experience is so much better than being in a car (and don't say age has anything to do with it as I'm over 55 and only learnt Oct 07)!! However, I'm sure you have a hobby which keeps you smiling!!

Have a good 2009 everyone and chat again soon!

Dee

xx

lyndu

Another thought, Dee - worth checking if the person who gave you the advice actually knows anything about what biking involves? I'm guessing the Ducati has a side stand so not a lot of heaving, unless you have to get it over kerbs to get it into a garage.
I had a mastectomy and node sampling this time round (last January - I've had two primary tumours) and I was advised against doing practically everything from gardening to knitting to running with sharp objects - as against last time, when, as I said, no information about lymphoedema at all.

Also - if you do your own maintenance - that may be worth missing out on for a while to minimise the risk of dirty cuts - and watch out for little burns from the cylinders etc.

Lyn

Molennium

I ride a pushbike. I have to say that a lot of the stuff they tell you about lymphoedema and how to avoid it is based on so called common sense. They don't really know why some people develop it, sometimes years after initial diagnosis and some don't. I've been rigorous about not carrying heavy items on the affected side, but some of it like wearing gloves for everything have been just plain mad. Similarly avoiding biking would be ridiculous for me. I have bought an extremely expensive titanium folder so it gave me an excuse to do this, I do try and carry it up the stairs on the right side but ultimately we have to live not wrap ourselves up in cotton wool - as long as we feel fit enough

Mole

justme

**faints at the thought of riding a motorbike**

xxx

lyndu

Not the same treatment as you - but back in 1991 I had level 1 node clearance and carried on riding my bike - no-one mentioned lymphoedema in any context in those days. It never occurred to me not to - and I'm not sure what it is about riding that's likely to give you ld, unless it's hauling it about?
I didn't have a Ducati (sadly!) I had a little MZ 250, but it took me from Kent to Inverness once a month for a year while my father was ill. Only stopped riding when I took up scuba diving, and the kit doesn't really fit on a bike! Diving kit also involves heaving a lot of weight about too, and that didn't cause problems for me either.
I'd say give yourself time to heal, work your arm gently back into activity, and don't get rid of the bike yet. Eal69eal is right - you do have to carry on living.
It's quite possible I just got lucky not to have ended up with lymphoedema - there's no guarantees, so find out why they think it's a problem and make your decision based on that - all the best with it.

Lyn

eal69eal

Hi Dee
Sorry I know nothing of motorbikes but I'm a climber (frequently take my whole body wieght on my affected arm & work my arm muscles out to such extremes they feel 'pumped'). I was warned by physios after my clearance that i should discover a new hobby, but it's my passion and not something I was going to give up lightly. I sought advice from a lymphodema clinic and they were very understanding about my argument that life goes on etc. I have been fitted with a sleeve I wear when climbing as a precaution and have so far experienced no probs. I'm a great believer that life goes on and I just wanted as much info about lymphodema as possible so I could make my own informed choice. Good luck and don't sell that Ducati just yet............

DecemberDee

Do you ride a motorbike?

Hi!

Has anyone gone through a mastectomy and level 2 lymph node clearance who still rides a motorbike?

I've a gorgeous Ducati Monster 696 which I love to bits but I've been told I may not be able to ride again due to the threat of lymphodema.

Has anyone any info on whether biking is a go or whether it's too much of a risk?

Thank you!

Dee