cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think stress causes cancer?

9 REPLIES 9
Suzie55

Re: Do you think stress causes cancer?

Hi Briony, I feel the same, although I have a family history and awaiting the genetic test, I've been thinking that my diagnosis could be stress related.

I have teenage daughters, one has aspergers and is doing her A-levels so that's pretty stressful in itself, my marriage has broken down recently and now BC, not sure how much more I can deal with.

On the plus side my diagosis is very positive, surgery is booked for 22nd June and then radiotherapy, unless the genetic test is positive.  So in the grand scheme of things it could be a lot worse and for that I'm very grateful.

When are you having your genetic test?  Take care Suzie x

Briony33

Hi I defininately think stress is a factor, I am 33 and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. My mother and her mother had it but at 52 so it's odd I have got it much younger. My life has been stressful for the last two years, I have two children aged 5 and 2, I work full time in a stressful job and I am doing a degree part time! But in the 6 months prior to finding the lump things were even more stressful as we sold and bought a house which in turn caused my marriage to temporarily break down. I have been stressed and permanently exhausted for months and now I have bc, I can't see how they are not linked especially If when I get my genetic testing, it shows I am not a carrier.
sheba56

I really hope that stress isn't a factor cos having been diagnosed and having to wait for so many test results, appointment etc is so stressful its a miracle anyone ever gets over this. But they do!!!!!

Kess

I was working 50 hours a week for a few months before I got dx. I love my job but it was wearing me out, and even if its not the cause, I suspect it was a contributing factor. I am now working 4 days a week and trying to chill about work things a bit more...
jayney234

Yes I do.  I had 3 years of very bad stress trying to move house, looking after my very ungrateful mother and trying to hold down a stressful job.  I was so stressed by the time we moved I was verging on a nervous breakdown.  Finally relaxed when I moved to Devon, only to be diagnosed 2 weeks afterwards.  Am totally convinced that stress played a major part.

Saraalyse

Hi
Yes I think it does. I had a stressful time. Moving to devon from Somerset away from my grown up children and grandchildren. Then moved in with my partner who already lived in Devon to find out at that upsetting time that he had been messing around with a women at work. Which caused months of stress to me then I took a job in a care home where the staff were poorly treated and ona normal week it was 50 hrs or more. Then the week I left due to being run down (march 2015) I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I really do believe it contributed to it. Luv to all xxx
Judithvr6

Read up on chronic stress and its effect on the auto immune system.

Long term stress basically results in the body giving up on fighting illness.

Patricia11

Hi i absolutely feel that stress contributed to my cancer as i was so stressed i was walking around like a zombie exhausted.   

I was working full time in a school as a manager and i had loads of upset with a new Headteacher that just had it in for me and wanted me out so every day was a mightmare, To add to this i was also the carer for my elderly mother was expected me to run around after her everynight buying things that she wanted and doing all the domestics  resulting in my never reaching home begore 9.30pm any evening and then having to get up at 5am for work.

In the end i realised that i just neglected myself and could have found my cancer sooner,

Since ive been sick the past 6 weeks my mum has managed herself so she really didnt need me waiting on her hand and foot rather she just expected and demanded it.

I would never let myself get so stressed again 

Tricia xx

sazza38

Hi
Sorry to hear you've had a bad run over the last few years.
I've asked myself the same question, I had a very bad twin pregnancy over two years ago with my health affected and a problem tenant in my house - to the point my house was a crime scene I had constant calls relating to them from neighbours/ police etc whilst trying to evict.
I convince myself at diagnosis that this all contributed - no quite so any physical evidence though.

I always believed things happen in threes! But with my pregnancy probs, bad tenant, nc and all so discovered a slightly faulty heart valve from the tests I've had for a clinical trial I count 4! - I joke I must have been someone evil in a past life!
Hope you've got a good support network and you'll find this site a great support x
bobtail61

Do you think stress causes cancer?

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago, after a very stressful 5 years. Supporting elderly parents both with cancer, both passed away within 2 months of each other.

Husband also had cancer during the same time.

I cannot help wondering if stress is a contributing factor in causing cancer.

Did anyone else have a stressful period in their lives before diagnosis?