Doc's attitude - am I in denial?

Hi all

I’ve had a breast lump for around 4 years which was considered nothing to worry about (routine mammo last summer showed no change). Took hrt for 6 months (starting last autumn) which made left breast feel swollen and tender. GP referred me for mammo - got a callback and had another mammo from every poss angle, ultrasound and core biopsy. I wasn’t too worried until doc kept saying over and over that he was so sorry to have to give me this news (but never actually mentioned ‘c’ word as far as I can remember). Just that the lump had grown but was under 2cm. Also that he wanted to do an op in next 2-3 wks to remove it whatever the biopsy results came out as.

Is this the usual caring attitude or was he hinting heavily that the news might be bad? Came out of there in shock. Waiting for letter with appt to go and discuss results sometime this week tho running out of time as it’s Wed already and no letter.

What do people think? I’m pretty bad at picking up hints at the best of times :slight_smile:

Thanks

C x

Chicci

I would call tomorrow either in person or on the phone and firmly insist on talking to him as this is completely unacceptable from a professional (or human) point of view. It may be useful to have someone on standby for moral support.

To say that they are just going to go in and remove the lump whatever… That may not be the best option and you don’t have the information available to make that decision. Remember, it is your decision to make after carefully weighing the evidence and advice.

One thing I have learned since being diagnosed with BC is that the most important thing you can do is to get and stay informed. Perhaps there is a breast cancer nurse at the local hospital you can contact for support.

Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you

Laurie x

From experiance, if you’ve got cancer they tell you just that. No piddling about, no messing just the truth. I was told I had cancer before any biopsies.

Chicci

i hate to say this but that is similar to what i had from the guy who did the scan and biospy, he took my hand and said it didn’t look good, he also said he could be wrong. he didn’t say the “C” word either. At least i had provisional results an hour later from the fine needle biopsy, as i sat in the car waiting to go back in i knew.
i totally agree with Laurie that you should give bcn at hospital a ring, it could be just that the fact it has grown due to the hrt, if its been there for 4 years without causing concern, hopefully thats all it will be, but its the not knowing which is the worst part

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Gill x

Thanks for replies - it’s good to know you all understand. I get the feeling they are automatically assuming the worst until proven otherwise but I find it all v confusing. Will let you know how I get on.

gill13 - can I ask - what was your diagnosis?

C x

Hi Chicci

So sorry you’ve had to join us.

Yes unfortunately the consultants are quite forthright most of the time. I had a boil under my breast and swelling of boil went down, but my boob became a hard lumpy and I was referred to breast clinic. I saw the consultant, who had a feel, then they did mammo, ultrasound scan and fine needle biopsies, all at the same time. I went back in to see the consultant, and he said, really sorry to tell you, it’s not good news, there is a lump, which I already knew, he said there would be a wait of about a week for biopsy results. The waiting was very traumatic, I was 95% sure it was cancer, and that’s what he said when I went back. He said they would do chemo first, to reduce size of tumour, then full mastectomy, then radiation, then reconstruction. Then I had a sentinal lymph node removed under general anaethetic, bone scan, torso scan and pre-op assessment. I return to see the consultant this morning to find out my test results and when my chemo will start. Just want to get on with it now, and hoping not too many problems along the way.

Best wishes, and stay strong!

Daysie x

Hi Chicci,

My surgeon was also forthright, he pulled his chair over to me, took my hand and told me I had cancer. As soon as he moved his chair closer to me I knew, and silent tears started to flow.
Phone hospital bcn or surgeons sec, they will tell you more, hopefully everything will be fine, take care xx

It may be because they cannot be totally sure till they have biopsy results. It may look like cancer on the scans etc, but sometime it turns out not to be. With me they did all the scans, biopsy etc in a day, and I had to go back a week later for the results. Then they were very direct with me. However until then they didn’t drop any hints (although I am sure in retrospect they had an idea what it was). I thought this was very professional.
You could ring and ask them to clarify whether or not thy think at this stage it is cancer, but I suspect they will say they can’t be sure either way.
all the best
Sarah

My team point-blank refused to use the words “cancer” or “tumour” until they had the biopsies back a week later.

I had a mammogram then went in for an ultrasound. The ultrasound technician said, “I don’t like the look of those lymph nodes” and did a fine needle biopsy. Then I went to see the consultant who said, “I don’t like the look of it” when talking about the lump and did core biopsies and made sure the BCN was there.

But although I’m sure they knew, and they knew that I knew that they knew (are you with me?!), nobody would use the actual words until I went back for the official results. It seemed to be their policy and I suppose it left me with a grain of hope for a week longer, but in my heart I had no doubt what it was.

Jane xxx

Thanks all - have just contacted consultant’s sec - my appointment for results is now next Monday instead of this week. They got results back yesterday apparently. It must be difficult for them to strike the right tone with so many different people going thru so many different things. Expect it will all become clear next Monday.
Thanks to all you brave people.

C x

hi , its horrible the not knowing , and the not sure what was said situation … even tho many breast surgeons have a very very good idea of whats wrong they dont know for sure untill they have the path results back …my breast surgeon i believe… knew my breast problem was cancer … but she never mentioned the c word at that point… when i went back for my results of the core biopsy she explained it as cell changes … and further core biopsys were needed… i said cell changes ? … she replied yes … i said cancer … she said yes… its not easy to tell someone they have cancer … i believe my surgeon gave me the clue… changes… and waited for me to ask the question… so in my case my diagnosis was broken to me very gently … had i not picked up on the clue she would of had to tell me outright… i dont think your in denial … its something none of us want to have … and hopefully you will be ok … but i think when doctors say things … to help you …they do it so if the outcome is not the one you want when the results come back … it does not come as a total bolt out of the blue … fingers crossed… and hopefully you will pop back on this forum and say you were just a passing guest … and are not joining the gang no one wants to join …best wishes … angie xx

Thanks angiem

Maybe they were waiting for me to ask more questions -

The consultant asked me if I wanted him to be honest about what he found as he went along as he was doing the biopsy and I said yes I’d like to know the facts. He and the nurse both had expressions like sad donkeys but I’m none the wiser - poss need to hone my social skills…!

C x

Hi all

Have been to hosp for test results today and do have bc - stage 1 non aggressive which hasn’t spread to lymph nodes as far as he can tell. I realise now that the ultrasound man had identified probable cancer on the ultrasound, but had not had biopsy confirmation and was trying to prepare me gently.

Thanks to all who responded so graciously.

C x

Sounds like a good result (if there is such a thing as a good result with BC)

Hope things go well for you.

Laurie x

Best of luck Chicci with taking everything in. It’s a shock and I like you was in denial cause after all who ever thinks it will happen to them. My dx sounds similar to yours and after the WLE, SNB (clear TG) I’ve been on Tamox for a month (not great but not awful) and week 4 of 5 of rads.my surgeon reckons I have an excellent prognosis. I send excellent prognosis healing vibes to you and all the ladies on this site. PCB xxx

Thanks - the doc I saw on Monday to get the results was more forthright - the second thing he said was ‘It’s cancer’ which was clear as a bell.

I went armed with a list of questions and it doesn’t seem too bad. They’ll remove the lump and tissue around it, 3 weeks of rads and then tamox. Thanks to reading around the posts on here everything they said was already familiar and made sense so thanks again.

Thanks PCB - sounds like I’m a few months behind you. Are you getting side effects from the tamox?

Hi PCB,

Think we’re nearly on the same timescale, but I’ve just finished 4 weeks RADS!

Can anyone answer the following ‘daft’ question. A lot of ladies have talked about ‘aggressive’ cancer. Does this refer to a certain type, stage or grade or is it a combination of factors?

Just curious.

Cx

hi crabbit

when people say aggressive they usually mean the grade. tumours are either grade one, two or three, three being the most aggressive. this not to be confused with the stage, which tells you how much it has spread, if at all.

jx

My doc also said it wasn’t ‘angry’ as well as not being ‘aggressive’ which I think means the same thing?

Some special types of cancer are more aggressive too like inflammatory breast cancer, triple negative is often referred to as aggressive too.