Docetaxel and carboplatin-anyone else?

I know everyone reacts to their chemo differently, and we all have differing treatments, but I’m slightly going out of my mind with fear over the side effects I’m to expect from this.
I had my first chemo on Friday, it’s Monday now so day 4?
So far I’m feeling ok, couple of minor niggles but nothing like I’d feared but I’m scared because I know it’s coming.
I have a type of arthritis of the spine and hips and have been advised the docetaxel with inflame the joints and possibly trigger the AS. (Which in itself is no walk in the park)
Please could someone tell me how the side effects start. Does it just hit you? Does it grow suddenly/slowly into something worse? Am I likely to have sickness now as I haven’t so far? Will I have the same side effects each cycle!!! Very worried.

Hi Xena75,

I am currently on Taxol and Carboplarin where I get Taxol weekly and Carboplatin with Taxol every 3 weeks. I have tolerated Taxol well so far but the week I get Carboplatin, I feel very tired & nauseous for 4 days after. The nauseousness subsides after 4 days but the tiredness remain. I also suffer from insomnia that week.

Hope this helps:)

Hi Xena, just acknowledging your post and your anxieties. I didn’t have your chemo cocktail, so can’t help re side effects, but I see you have had a response already. The fact is, you’re right. Everyone is different, so when anyone tells you their side effects or symptoms it us just  that - theirs. You could be really lucky and sail through.   Docetaxtol  has a rep for being harsh, but there are ladies who have coped well and not reported the symptoms you are talking about. Although treatments can follow a pattern,you won’t know what your pattern will be until you’ve completed a cycle. Get a booklet and make notes so you can compare days in your cycle.  I’m on the hormone inhibitor Letrizole, which is, apparently famous for joint pain. It’s early days, but so far, nothing! ? I did ask my Onco how I could help myself, and she give a couple of suggestions, which I’ve followed. Is this a question which you need to ask your on Onco? Big deep breaths, Xena. You’re doing great so far. First one done, and you are on your way. Sending hugs. X

Hi I’m on my 3rd round of weekly paclitaxel
Taxol) i was ok first round but SE seemed to build after this. My legs hands and feet are numb and tingly they don’t feel like they belong to me. My mouth is sore and I have lost my taste buds. I’m dizzy and so tired. Worse side effects I’ve had so far. At least I know from this thread it’s not just me. Like many I’m keeping a journal to try and work out which are the better days. Do far none. Let’s hope I get used to it soon. Feeling rubbish

Thank you for your replies. Its hard to stop the nerves when its different every time isn’t it, but its not like there is a choice so just have to ride it out. Fingers crossed for it to be not too bad for side effects.

Hi Xena,

I am not a nurse but a patient who has just had a first round of chemotherapy where docetaxyl was one of the drugs administered, so I hope you don’t mind me trying to answer your query as I notice that you haven’t had a reply. About 5 days after the chemo, I developed sudden severe back pain, to the extent that I couldn’t bend down or sit without great difficulty and had to stay lying down most of the time. Eventually I was prescribed a strong painkiller Cocodamol 30mg, and once I took just two tablets, although they were very strong, I was able to move normally again. So yes, in answer to your question, although every patient reacts differently, given that you already have a history of arthritis, I would say that the chances of you developing something quickly are probably quite high , however the means to manage the pain is also available, so please ask for help as soon as possible rather than getting worried about it and tolerating unnecessary pain. I hope that helps.