Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docetaxol Side effects

13 REPLIES 13
Pod-1

Re: Docetaxol Side effects

Hi Elsbels

I had 3 x FEC and 3 x Docetaxol. I seemed to be ok with FEC. No nausea or vomiting. I think the IV anti-sickness drugs helped tho. I only felt ever so slightly nauseaus after my first session of FEC. I was given a bucket load of anti-sickness pills, which thankfully I didn't need.

I found the Docetaxol the worst by far (sorry - not trying to scare you). I was warned that I might get aches and pains, and boy did I get them ! The first cycle was the worst for me as I didn't know how to manage the pain.Was confined to the sofa or my bed for a good week after treatment and  just kept taking whatever painkillers I was allowed......which only sort of worked. I decided to speak to my Breast Care Nurse who suggested asking for extra steroids for the next cycle and then taper them off. This helped immensley - so it might be worth speaking to your BCN and discussing this option.

I can only echo what everyone else has said and say - Don't give up. As its been said - you've got this far, just push through the last bit. Everyone around you I'm sure understands how you feel. Just draw on their support.

I finished my treatment last year, but it felt like an age when I was going through it. The end will be in sight. Chin up - you can do it. Good luck with the rest of the treatment.

Pod

Kpnuts

Just wanted to thank everyone who has shared their experience of docetaxol. I have had four EC and found the nausea grim each time, I feel much more confident now it's likely that I won't have to experience it again. I have my first session of four on April 10th, good to have a few days off first. Good luck to all, Katy x
Hazelr

I have just had my 3 rd docetaxel on Tuesday and although FEC (x 3) was quite horrid tax has been ok. The first one I had bone pains for a couple of days but no nausea really and I realsied the steroids I took the day before the chemo made me feel horrible so I only took them that day and then only 4 tablets the day of chemo and felt so much better. Tax is definitely easier than FEC so don't give up you can do it. If you get diarrhoea take Imodium straight away, paracetamol for headaches and drink lots of water. Good luck xx
Nattyoo

Dear Elsbels,
Like you, I have had 3 x FEC and am very pleased that part is over!
We're half way now.
I am due to start the T part on Thursday 9th, so we'll be having our treatments at the same time.
Please feel free to message me, or join us on the February Starters monthly thread (my name, Nattyoo is the starting name). All of us on that thread are at the same stage of treatment as you. I have found these wonderful women to be a huge support, especially in that first week after chemo.
Keep going if you can, we'll be finished by the end of next month...
Love Natalie
j_sol

Wishing you well & so glad you have decided to continue. Everyone reacts differently but having completed 3 x F E C & 3 x T I agree with everyone else's comments I found the side effect of F E C much harder. 

Wishing you all the best. J x

Elsbels

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and advice on this subject - I have been quite encouraged to continue - my first dose is due 10th April so I'll report back afterwardsxx

Zeppa

Hi,

There's no harm trying one session, is there?

I had three FEC and three Docetaxol.

For me, there was no nausea with Docetaxol. I was extremely weak after the first dose but nevertheless it was doable. The amount was reduced for the second and third. I remember no bone pains. I once had serious constipation which I should have treated sooner. My nails crumbled a bit.

It was a big relief not to have nausea.

Tweasel

Hi Elsbels. Sorry to hear you have found FEC so difficult. I have completed my 3 FEC and had my first Tax last Thursday. I found the first few days after FEC quite rough, with sickness and nausea. I was prescribed Lansoprazole after my first FEC due to horrible gastric problems. I have been advised to take it throughout my chemo. I've only had one Tax but my experience seems to be the same as many others so far - no nausea or vomiting at all, but aches and pains kicking in after 2 days. I am just taking paracetamol alternated with ibuprofen and it's manageable at the moment. Everyone is different, but in my own personal experience so far, Tax has been better than FEC. Don't beat yourself up over anything and you are definitely NOT letting anyone down feeling the way you do at the moment. Make sure you tell your onc about all your SEs so they can help. I hope you start to feel better really soon - sending hugs xx
HarrietHare

Hi I agree that T is better than FEC. I haven't even had any of the bone pains...yet!!! I had 3 FEC and one T so far. Keep your chins up ladies...!

helena31

Hi Elsbels - I have had 4 cycles of EC and 2 of Docetaxol with 2 more to go.   I have suffered different SE's with docetaxol with joint ache and tiredness, the joint ache arrives about two days after chemo and lasts about 3 days, but I haven't had the nausea that I had with EC which is a huge relief.  I force myself to go for at least a 20 minute walk every day even when I hardly have the energy to move and it really makes a huge difference.   The last week before the next cycle is the best, the energy levels come back up and taste almost back too.  It isn't easy, but I find it manageable and do persevere if you can.

Petal123

Hi Elsbels I have just finished 3 x FEC a and 3 x Docetaxol. Both were manageable. I didn't get any joint or bone pain with the Docetaxol. I had acid sickness for a day with the first dose but that was brought under control the next day by Omeprazol and I didn't have it again for the whole of the entire treatment. Any side effects that I had my onc had a drug or cream that sorted it and my onc said that people who have a hard time on FEC usually find Docetaxol easier.

Please don't give up, you are half way through your treatment you only have 3 more to go. You can come on here any time to have a moan, there will always be someone to offer you support and encouragement. You can do it!! Good Luck.
marli

Hi Elsbels - I have had 5 out of 6 Docetaxol but have never had FEC. I have found Tax manageable , not pleasant but manageable. Mel66 has more experience.

The worst thing for me has been diarrhoea which I did not know how to cope with but the onc told me how to use the imodium and it became easier. So ask your medical team how to deal with that if it happens to you.Taste and tongue changes are not pleasant as I think you will know.Have not had sores or ulcers. On about day 3 when steroids are finished I do get flu like symptoms, aching joints and headache etc but cope by having plenty of rest, keep warm and paracetamol. Have got the tingling and slight pain in fingers but not too much of a problem. Hope it goes quickly after treatment finished.

I have told you how it has affected me and I feel very lucky to have got away with things being manageable.

I know ,however , that some ladies have not been so lucky. The SE's affect everyone different.

I do hope you decide to continue - you have got this far and survived!! Take care  Marli xx

Mel66

Hi Elsbels
I found FEC much harder than the T... horrible constant nausea and feeling generally blurgh and out of it.

My first T wasn't great with a lot of bone pain but they reduced the dose for the next two and I found it much easier.... Exhausted and weak, but pain managable with painkillers and no nausea.

Given the option of the two, I'd take T over FEC any day! I certainly found it far more manageable. x
Elsbels

Docetaxol Side effects

Hi, this is my first post on this (or any!) forum so here goes.. I have just finished 3 cycles of FEC and suffered horribly with nausea and been generally unable to get out of bed for 8 days. Depending on what you are told or what you read, the side effects for docetaxol can be worse - if thats the case, I am seriously considering having no more treatment - I am really unable to tolerate any more but am beating myself up about giving up and feel like I am letting everyone else down. Can anyone assure me it won't be so bad??