Doctors hail 'tumour shrinker' - The Sun - 27/7/11

Thought you ladies might be interested in this:

DOCTORS HAIL TUMOUR SHRINKER
Breast cancer targeted

A superdrug that shrinks previously untreatable tumours caused by the toughest form of breast cancer could be available in the next five years.

The treament - called Affitoxin - works where the renowned Herceptin fails and has been hailed by experts. It fights the most aggressive form of the disease - known as HER2 positive cancer. Lab tests just published found the drug zaps cancers cells in tumours that have until now been considered impossible to treat.

Human trials will be launched in the US soon, and if the drug proves safe it could be fast-tracked for approval by European medicines regulators.

Herceptin is used with excellent results for many women with HER2 positive cancer. But sufferers can develop immunity to it and currently have no other options.

The research by Philadelphia University was yesterday welcomed by British cancer experts. Baroness Morgan, the chief executive of Breast Cancer Campaign, said ‘Herceptin is arguably one of the biggest advances in breast cancer in 20 years. However, in many cases it eventually stops working. If Affitoxin realises its potential as a new treatment for HER2 positive breast cancer, it may overcome this issue of resistance. These promising results indicate a clinical trial is urgently needed to move this drug closer to patient use.’

This is good news - hope they get on with it quickly.

Thats good news ! I hope they get going on it soon, I am on Herceptin for forseeable future so any new drug like this could be the answer for me one day. Thanks for posting ,
Jean

Thanks for the info Jean - it’s always good to know about new developments that could help some of us. Helps keep up the positivity!