70380members
370281posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else have 'vein' problem and needing a 'line' put in??

7 REPLIES 7
ElaineD

Re: Does anyone else have 'vein' problem and needing a 'line' put in??

I had a Hickman Line inserted as my veins were in very poor shape following previous treatments. It's wonderful!!

The procedure to have it inserted is slightly uncomfortable-but not distressing. I opted to have it done under a local anaesthetic, although I could have had sedation if I wanted. However, local was fine, and other than being aware of a slight pressure occasionally, it was quite stress free,

The line needs regular maintenance-ie-flushed out weekly-to ensure no blockages-but this is done easily enough at my gp's surgery.

The huge benefits come when blood samples/treatments are underway-hook me up, and I'm off! When I watch some poor patients who have to be poked and prodded to find a workeable vein, then there's no doubt that this has been the right thing for me. It's just one thing that makes life so much easier at the moment-and I think we should take anything that does that for us! Hope you decided to have one-they'e wonderful! Good luck too with the treatment.

Melba

I had a line and it was fine much better than looking for veins all the time you b fine
all the best
love mel

DT1960

Thank you all for your comments, my appointment today is at 1.30 and I'll definitely push for the portacath rather than the PICC which is what they mentioned yesterday. eal69eal, it's reassuring to hear you have still maintained an active lifestyle when you're up to it - I hope to do the same as I'm determined to try and keep the weight off this time round!

Thanks again xx

zotam

My daughter has just had a portacath fitted too. Its great she says. Not painful at all when they put the needle in and either take blood or give chemo. She was going through so much stress when they had to keep trying for veins in her arm and she used to dread it but not any more.

eal69eal

Hi Ladies
I had a portacath inserted before I started my chemo. Was initially a bit nervous and was only persuaded when a friend of a friend whose been through all this said 'you must'! I have to say it has been the best advice I have received throughout this whole experience. It's absolutely brilliant and takes away all the pain and stress of finding a vein. They take my blood out of it too and they give me Emla (numbing) cream to put over it so last time I didn't even feel it when the nurse put the needle in. I'm quite sporty and have continued to run and climb when I feel up to it and my lifestyle has been totally unaffected by the port. It just shows up as a bump under my collar bone and no-one would ever know under clothes. Much better than a hickman or Picc. Definitely push for a port over the others.
Best of luck xx

DT1960

Hi wendycrackers, thanks for your response. Having 'trawled' historic comments until the early hours of this morning it seems that a portacath implant may be a better option. It has to be done by a surgeon but is under the skin and therefore less apparent - may also be better for you with your 4 year old! I'm also being assessed today - perhaps we can compare notes later.

DT x

wendycrackers

I'm facing another round of chemo next week. My veins are also pretty rubbish from last lot of chemo and i actually requested a line to be put in. I'm not looking forward to it, I'm having it put in my elbow, but it's so difficult trying to find a decent vein in my hand and it causes so much pain that I'd rather try going down this route. I'm seeing the chemo nurse today to discuss it as I don't know too much myself at the moment. I'm a little worried having a permanent line in my arm as I have a very energetic 4 year old, I guess there'll be lots of long sleeved shirts to be worn over the next few weeks! I'd be interested to know how you get on with it, and good luck with your chemo x

DT1960

Does anyone else have 'vein' problem and needing a 'line' put in??

Just found out today that I'll probably need a central line/PICC line put in due to veins being wasted from chemo 7 years ago. Having read what's involved, I'm really not looking forward to the prospect of having this done but I may have no choice - being 'assessed' tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience of this, if so, can you please provide some feedback.

Thanks

DT