67.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the speed of the transfusion impact on side effect?

10 REPLIES 10
d1zzy22

Re: Does the speed of the transfusion impact on side effect?

Hi there,
I have a PICC line as veins disappeared as soon as i got to the chemo suite from first FEC, and have had a few problems but would have one everytime. Having it flushed weekly between chemos is ok as district nurse comes to me.
As to speed of chemo I found the IV drugs given before FEC (steroid and anti-sickness)gave me massive headaches if given too fast and found generally having chemo slower with more saline helped me!
TAX makes me feel sleepy and yeuk and not myself and that lasts for about 3 hours after. Hope you all get on well, stick to your guns with the nurses on chemo unit, they might do it every day but we actually get the chemo. Its like midwives who have never given birth they don't know how it is till they have to give birth!!!!!
Best wishes Bev xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

My Onc actually gave instructions for my FEC to be put through more slowly and with plenty of saline before, during and after as I had horrendous se's and ended up hospitalised with dehydration. I was also given intravenous anti-sickness drug before the FEC went in.
I would talk to your onc and see if it can be put in your notes that it is given more slowly.

50Something

Hi again,

Well, since Monday I have not had anywhere near as bad se's this time. I have no idea whether it is the alteration to the meds or the slow rate that the nurse put the poison through. I am inclined to think it is a bit of both. I will probably know better after the first week is up and I have finished taking the meds tomorrow. I will still insist that they transfuse it slowly on the last two occasions, whatever the Sister might say.

Thanks for your replies and all the best to the ladies going through this cr*ppy experience. Sue.xx

loula

Hi 50something. I had 4 cycles of C and Tax and on the second occasion they were administered very quickly (I was the last patient on a Friday afternoon).
Unlike the other times, I felt unwell on the way home, the ses set in earlier and were definitely worse. Fortunately it didn't happen again.
Loula

Slendablenda

Thank you ladies,
So far I think I will accept the option of the PICC. I have the appt. to have it inserted next Wednesday and Tendco wig appt. on Friday.
Plenty of time to consider both and keep changing my mind!!!
it does seem that the transfusions may be more trouble free once the PICC is in place. I have a friend who has hardened veins from poor ca nula insertion.
I will be on my guard to request that the transfusion isn't too quick.
They've advised me it usually takes up to 2 hours.
Until today I hadn't been aware the chemicals could be administered at !ifferent speeds. I'm learning more about this every day.

ChoccieMuffin

the e in fec can give you really sore arms for months. i have a portacath end am very happy to avoid canullas.

50Something

Hi, thanks for all your comments. I would love to show them to this Sister and, even though she will say they are only anacdotal, I believe they are true.

Slendablenda, (Love the name), I have a Hickmans Line as the occasion when the nurse put the poison through far too fast, she also managed to b*gger up my veins. Your veins are very precious. BC is not the be all and end all of everything. In the future you may need blood transfusions etc for a variety of reasons. If your veins are useless this could be life-threatening. Also, the procedure is so much easier with either a PICC, Hickmans or Portacath. I have my Hickmans flushed out every week by the District Nurses. The job is extremely quick and easy - and most importantly, painless. I do hope your chemo goes well and is effective. All the best

Sue. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I think the speed and the concentration of the administration is important especially in terms of vein damage as I also experienced much less se when chemo was given slower and with more saline.

It is going inside our veins and I think the Sister is being mean, just because she hasn`t read a paper to say the opposite doean`t mean it doen`t exist. A little bit more consideration towards others would be nice wouldn`t it especially when we have so much going on already...

Slendablenda

Hello
I'm about to start my FEC chemo early July. Went for a talk with the nurse yesterday.Was offered s choice between PICC or canula. She said the PICC administers more quickly and the FEC doesn't need diluting.
She didn't mention any difference with the side effects.
i can't decide which will be best.
PICC - tempting because I won't be like a pin cushion. Can be used for
blood tests etc too.
However, has to be flushed weekly and have the external tubing on arm throughout chemo.
Canula -I've read on here it can muck up your veins, more tendency for leakage, more uncomfortable when FEC being pumped in.
I hope it's relevant to this thread.
Your thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
I'm trying to be brave - forarmed is forwarned!

ChoccieMuffin

I am convinced it does make a difference, and not just to the damage it does to your veins as I have a portacath. My FEC5 was pretty quick (half an hour) and the drip didn't seem to be working very well as the bag was just as full at the end as it had been at the beginning. And I felt absolutely dreadful for FEC5. FEC6 last Thursday was much slower, and with more saline going in, and I've managed to keep hold of most of my marbles this time when last time I was totally gaga.

It's good that you will have your anti-sicks amended, but I honestly believe that the speed of administration does effect the SEs.

50Something

Does the speed of the transfusion impact on side effect?

Hi All, Hope you are all doing well. I went for my FEC4 yesterday. I have been finding that the quicker the nurses transfuse the poison, the worse are my se's. I asked the lovely nurse yesterday to do it slowly for me and to make sure there was a good amount of saline going in also. She was really nice and made sure the chemo went in very slowly. All of a sudden one of the ONC Sisters came and tore her off a stip in front of everyone because we had taken two hours and they only allow one hour for the whole process. I told the Sister that I had particularly asked the nurse to put it through slowly and the Sister told me that 'that's only anacdotal, with no scientifc basis. I told her that it worked for me and when another nurse had pushed it through really fast I had horrendous se's. She did say that she would have my anti-sickness meds altered but she seemed to be threatening me with altering my appointments in some way if I were to insist on it going through slowly. I would love to hear from any of you that might have an opinion on whether the rate of transfusion affected your se's? Thanks. Sue. xx