69.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does there have to be external signs for this lump to be cancer?

10 REPLIES 10
Kess

Re: Does there have to be external signs for this lump to be cancer?

Thats great news Emma. Try and not think about it and enjoy Christmas.
kellyj09

Awwh thats amazing news hun!!! Fingers and toes crossed for you! xxx

Emma_1985

Hi Kelly,
My doctors think I is a Fibroadenoma. So that is very very good. I was just examined but he is pretty sure. Just to make absolutely sure he wants me to have an Ultrasound and a Core Biopsy. I'm booked in for both of them on Christmas eve.
I will fully relax when I have those results which I've been told I should get the day before my 30th birthday.

Thanks for asking!!
kellyj09

H emma, how did you get on? I hope you're ok lovely xxx

Emma_1985

Thanks for your replies Kess and Matty.

Matty, I'm sorry about what has happened to you!! I hope you do great with your treatments and surgeries. And thanks for answering my question.

I suppose all I can do now is get through my scans tomorrow and see what they find.... I would just like to know what it is and what it isn't. The wondering is driving me mad.

Thanks again ladies
Xx
Matty2

Trying on a swimming cossie I found a long hard bit in breast.

I eventually went to doc - really quick referral, I had had a routine mammogram in May that came back as clear.

Consultant sent me for an ultra sound, then another mammogram - didn't show anything so he double checked and sent me for a core biopsy. Thank goodness because it showed beast cancer cells. Put me on Arimidex straight away but sent me for an MRI to find out how big it was.

It is very small (18mm) but the MRI found a 'shadow' in a different area of the breast. Another core biopsy showed positive (this was results last Friday) so I have to have a mastectomy.

Now I am calm about it but originally I was in a mess.

Now I just want it gone - next stage for me (I had a choice) is to have the 2 sentinel lympph nodes removed to see if it is in them,

I could have opted for a mastectomy, or a mastectomy with implant and removal of lymph nodes

Then I will have a mastectomy, and if they are clear an immediate implant reconstruction.

I feel it is admitting you have something that doesn't feel right and seeking medical advice is the hardest part - well it was for me - as i had to admit there was something wrong

In answer to your question - I had none of the symptons except the little hard bit I found when I tried on the swimming costume

Kess

Hi Emma

I think more women have no signs apart from a lump than actually have any of the signs listed, particularly in early stage breast cancer. Saying that, it's still most likely not to be cancer if you have a lump, but always best to get it checked out.
Emma_1985

Hi CC,
Thanks so much for replying. Google should be banned 😉 ha ha. I feel like I just want to know because this 'limbo' part is quite hard.
I have had family and friends promise I will be fine and I want to tell them that is a dangerous promise to make but I realise they are more likely aiming that promise at themselves because if I do have BC it will be hard for them to cope too. They keep saying it is more likely to not be cancer but I know that chance it is cancer is very real. Thanks for sharing your similar story with me. I do hope you are doing ok!! I will either find out in Tuesday it is nothing to worry about or I will have results to wait for. Even after that wait it could still be all clear of anything bad.
I am certainly not one to bury my head in the sand and I have people telling me over and over that their friend found a lump and it was not cancer but no one is going to say "my friend found a lump and it was cancer" because they don't want to scare me so of course everyone is is going to try and stay positive. I feel like optimism and pessimism are pointless and realism can save lives, so I am going to stay realistic.
For a very long time now, way before I found the lump, I have been feeling extremely drained and fatigued with a lot I dizziness and nausea. The fatigue is so bad it gets in the way of my normal life, the dizziness and feeling sick are also daily occurrences. Since finding the lump I've been wondering if they are all linked.....
I'm 29 years old so I should still have some energy left 🙂
Now I have started this post I will be updating with my results and how Tuesday goes.
Thanks again for the reply CC!!

Xx
chascat

Hi Emma
This must be a very worrying time for you, I remember going through it myself and my imagination running riot. My breast lump was hard and irregular shaped, I found it whilst examining myself routinely, I had no outward signs and would not have been aware of it were it not for my vigilance, I was referred to the breast unit and diagnosed with breast cancer 2 weeks later. I understand that you will be looking on the internet a lot at the minute, I did the same, I expect we all do, but please don't, please stick to this site, there is a lot of misinformation out there and you will scare yourself witless. Take care and please let us know how you get in. CC x

June_BCC

Hello Emma_1985

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Emma_1985

Does there have to be external signs for this lump to be cancer?

Hi, everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I recently found a hard oddly shaped lump in my left breast. I went straight to my GP and I have been referred to the hospital for further tests on Tuesday. Everything is happening really quickly, which I know is good. From finding the lump to my referral appointment it's only been 2 weeks.

Obviously I've been looking on the internet for information. I want to be as informed as possible. The one question I still have is, has anyone ever been diagnosed with BC but never had any of the external signs (puckering, dimpling, nipple discharge etc.) that go along with it?

Thanks for reading.