Don't want black marker tattoos! Anyone managed to get invisible/fluorescent tattoos or alternative?

As if it’s not bad enough having to have surgery very soon (chemo 5 is in 8 days) and be left with those scars, I now find out that when I get to radiotherapy the normal is to have black marker tattoos - another reminder I don’t want of this unwanted journey!

Rant over.

Has anyone ever managed to avoid black/blue tattoo dots?

I’ve been doing some reading and found that there are invisible fluorescent tattoos which only show up under black light - anyone ever managed to get these or any other ideas/ ways around getting any tattoos please?

Emily 

Hi Emily

I felt exactly the same way as you…I’ve been through hell & back & now you’re going to brand me for life as well? No thanks. I put my foot down & ended up with invisible tatts that you can’t see without a UV light, but they don’t tell you about them unless you ask.  I only found out because I said I did NOT want tatts.  if your hospital doesn’t do those, another lady on Fab Feb Rads refused & had stickers. They do a sort of tracing over your boob(s), belly button & collar bones on a sheet of transparent plastic, very weird, so they can find the exact place again.  Note you may need to dig your heels in & refuse the tatts to get the alternative.  I know some people don’t give two hoots about the tatts, but I did.  Most are like black freckles (why can’t they make them brown for goodness sake??) but some people get bigger ones that annoy them afterwards & have to get them lasered off. Good luck! xx

I stamped my feet, cried and whined but got no where. I asked about invisible UV tattoos but was firmly told they weren’t available at my centre (QE B’ham). Eventually I got away with two (one each side) and use a slightly off midline freckle which causes slight consternation of the usual team aren’t around - usually only once a week if I have to move rooms. I’m finished on 9/8 and fully intend to have these dreadful black spots (admittedly hard to find if I’m honest!) lasered off. When I asked the oncologist about laser removal he raised an eyebrow and asked me why I’d want to do that! Men!! Good luck - I so hope you can find a way around being permanently marked. Hugs.

Jay know what you mean…a bloke put my port in 1cm above my bra line, so on show every time I wear a v neck.  The nurses keep saying ‘oh it’s usually lower than that so you can’t see it’.  Surgeon must have been having an off day & I have to live with the scar for ever.  I feel like lobbying the NHS for brown ink as standard …I mean how hard would that be, so they really do look like freckles. Sorry it didn’t work for you.  You would think the QE would be more forward thinking.  xx

Thanks for the kind replies, I’m going to stand my ground because after all it’s my body and there is no way I want any more perminant reminders of the worst time in my life! AND surely I’m not going to be the first to ever say no?

You can also say you would prefer not to have blokes in the room, btw.  You may think so many people have seen your bits & bobs that you don’t care, but for me it made the whole experience a lot less grim.  I just got lucky with an all girl team & when I said how relieved I was, they said all the other teams are mixed, but lots of people request no men for gynae & breast irradiation.  xx

It’s odd, I don’t seem to mind a male doctor, but in less qualified roles like ECG or ultrasound technician I find it inappropriate. I just feel they could be any Tom, dick or harry, whereas a doctor genuinely has seen everything on many occasions. xx

Try water color tattoo, it looks cool, really)

Or you can try white ink tattoo. It looks unique and unusual. I think it’s steep. See, here’re a lot of examples of these tats catwink:

[white ink tattoo](http://You can try white ink tattoo. It looks unique and unusual. I think it’s steep. See, here’re a lot of examples of these tats. Also you can try water-color tats, they are also uniquecatwink https:)      :cathappy:

I am so happy to have come across this thread!  I just had my first chat with oncologist about radiotherapy and she went through everything and ansered all my questions.  She did very briefly mention markings but because I haven’t had much sleep due to chemo/herceptin, I didnt really think much of it.  It’s only when I got home and read the leaflet she gave me that I then realised that they would mark between 2 to 6 tattoo dots and I was like ‘hell no!’  Not sure when the actual appointment is to get these but I will be sure to just say no thank you and go for the permanent markers instead!  Thank you all for sharing your advice/experience, it’s been really hepful.

Lina x

It’s your planning appt Lina.  Good luck xx

I’m so glad to see this thread in 2weeks after surgery and waiting to heal before being sent to oncology for radiotherapy,im finding reading this so helpful.The whole experience has been a huge nightmare whirlwind,not only do I not want the ruddy tatoos,im scared to have them,it must hurt?