cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Reconstruction

6 REPLIES 6
darlojo

Re: Double Reconstruction

Hi ladies, I had the op on 4th June, 8 day stay in hospital and I can honestly say I am so pleased I had it done. I do need another small op to even up my boobs, one was made from a total flat chest and the other was made from my existing size 36E boob, that side is droopier that the other but I've had absolutely no issues with my boob(s) or tummy x

Het1985

Hi. I had a double masctomy and a diep reconstruction at the end of November. I am not a mother myself but I do work as a nanny so understand the problem with picking up kids etc. it all depends what reconstruction you have. With mine I was unable to drive for 6 weeks and didn't pick up any children for at least 8 weeks. I felt okay moving around the house if it was slowly and had my most trouble getting up and down off the sofa and out of bed. As you are double you don't have a good side to roll on and help. It is tough but I'm so pleased I pushed to have it done. After almost three years into my remission I had my op to put to bed any worries I had with it coming back and now I have a new lease of life. I'm six months down the line and still have a few stomach issues but I'm back working and totally fine. Just take it easy and listen to your body. Good luck. Let us know how you get on xx
SJB

Darlojo, I think there is a very big difference between reconstruction using silicon implants and natural flap reconstruction.

If you are having silicon implants, I think the above advice will apply. However, if you are having flesh and skin from parts of your body used in the recon, then you will be under the knife for 7-8 hours and then require around 5 days in hospital to recover, after which, once home, you'll need a lot of help and care.

I'm keen to know which you are having, as I am due to have my non-cancerous breast removed next year, and then double recon using my own flesh, and don't know yet whether that will be done in one go or as two separate ops. I was reading through this section looking for people discussing just this situation.

Zuleika

Hi, I had single mx, with tissue expander implant in August last year. Two weeks ago I had the expander replaced with silicone and a silicone to the good breast,to achieve symmetry. The first week was really hard, very frustrating, not being able to do very much. If you have young children, you'll need help around the house for a couple of weeks. I'm now two weeks post op and still can't do much, like walking my dogs, vacuuming, or lifting anything more than a bag of sugar. You'll need a plan of how to look after the children and who will cook, clean and look after you. For a few days I needed help with showering etc. I drove for the first time yesterday, my car is an automatic, and I found it tiring and a bit sore. You need to get plenty of rest and take regular painkillers for at least a week. Feel free to ask any more. Good luck,
Zu
darlojo

Hi, thanks for the comments. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had MX and double reconstruction could offer any advice, thanks.

lazy_jane

Don't know if I'll be much help Just had a mastectomy and LD flap reconstruction on my left side. Your recovery will depend on the type of reconstruction. I can not lift any thing and am very sore and swollen. Get tired easy. Driving is going to be a while. Give your local breast care nurse a call I found mine very supportive. Hope you find some help.
darlojo

Double Reconstruction

Yikes! Just had a call to say I can have my second MX and double reconstruction on 4th June! Anyone else had the same op with 2 children (aged 3 & 9) just worrying for how long I'll need help in/around the house. Getting them to school etc, recovery period etc Any advice most welcome x