Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants

8 REPLIES 8
Carole M

Re: Double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants

Hi ladies

just to add my experience in to the mix.  I'm finding that through this process it's best to not take anything for granted and to expect the worst, then you won't be disappointed.

every appointment I go to throws up a worse result or diagnosis than expected.

i started out with lumpectomy and rads. Nodes meant to be clear.

Recently had mx and had to have ANC, 4 of 11 removed cancerous. Grade 3 lump 30mm and an extra one of 23mm grade 2, ER-+ 8/8. I opted for mx to avoid rads and because it was a bit vague as to what was in my breast.  Now I need chemo and rads and my new boob is pretty uncomfortable together with arm/armpit pain and numbness. 

Ive just had bone scan and CT and anxiously awaiting results.  

The plan was to put in expander wth mx and they did do that. I was pleased that I had approx B cup on waking and am due for first expansion on Friday which will be 3 weeks post op.   Unfortunately because of the ANC my new boob is solid with lymph fluid which isn't yet draining away. They say it will eventually find a new route, but I wish it would hurry up.  My new boob is same size as my good boob now (a good D cup) and I'm wishing it would shrink so that I can have it expanded and get on with chemo.

honestly, the things you wish for when you have cancer!

I'm not particularly happy with my new boob because it hurts and I can feel expander, but I'm sure he will sort it out over time.  I also have a few ridges in top corner which hurt and surgeon says they are because I had big boobs to start with.

my daughter says to remember it's life saving surgery, not a cosmetic boob job.

Marie, sorry you had a disappointing result, but I'm sure your expanders will soon grow.

Argymargy

Marie I'm so sorry that must be prety shocking.  Did you discuss this possibility during the consenting procedure?  If not you have a cause for complaint.  However it has happened now and the surgeon will have done what they thought best for you at the time.  I have a tissue expander because I'm having radiotherapy, so there is potential for it to damage to any permanent reconstruction.  The expander is being slowly filled and I will have permanent reconstruction sometime next year.  The good thing about expanders is that they will stretch your skin to the required size but at a rate that your body can cope with.  Yes the early days were uncomfortable but actually I'm now becoming friends with this object, even though I will be glad to lose it next year!  Just be religious with your exercise and massage regime, as this will be the key to your recovery. xx

Marie Else

Yes, I had mine on the 19th. Was horrified to wake up and discover that I wasn't given implants as agreed with the surgeon, but tissue expanders - and as my op was on Friday, I had to wait until Monday until anyone was able to give me the reason (poor blood supply following chemo, apparently). The expanders mean that I'm completely flat on both sides at the moment (horror) and they are very uncomfortable too - and I'll need another op in a few months' time. Still struggling to come to terms with all this. Hope things are getting better for you! xx

Millie67

Have you had yours Marie?
Millie67

Hi
Went OK. ...hard tho.....got infection R boob trying to save it.....pleased with new bobs but jeez so uncomfortable !!!
Need pain med but tummy can't handle
How are you ?????x
Carole M

Millie, how did your surgery go?  I had my mx with reconstruction and ANC on 12 May.

Marie Else

Good luck to you, Millie67 - hope it goes well for you. xx

Millie67

Hi I've got same on Thursday. ...scarey !!good luck xoxo
No idea what size etc or what will look likex
Marie Else

Double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants

Less than two weeks until I go into hospital - double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants. Feeling a tad nervous about the aftermath. For anyone who's had the same, how long did it take until you were able to do normal things again - such as fill the kettle, open the fridge door, carry a tray with a dinner plate on it, do some light cleaning? Get dressed? Open your laptop? Hug someone?

And if you had the same op, was it ok afterwards, or did you have any complications? If so, what kind? And how were they resolved?

Thank you so much for your help!