Hi Cat, I had my MX over 2 years ago now and thought I would be happy living with 1 boob, I then made the decision about a year ago that I wanted my other boob removed and double reconstruction (scheduled for 4 weeks time). What I want to say really is take time out, there's no hurry and make the decision once you've got all other treatment out of the way, take care x
Cat - not sure how to private message you - but happy and if you have time be good to talk - maybe you can message me - cheers C
Cat, seems I am now very similar to you - after the MRI and another ultasound they have decided I will also have chemo (18 weeks) then surgery - and seems I can now have surgery recon at the same time - althrough interestingly seems the oncologist is giving impression may not need surgery.
So now I am getting my head around chemo !!!!! Wednesday found out via the consultnat it would be chemo and met oncologist thursday - was flat most of the week but now feel good - in work
Talk about a rollacoaster - and the boobs have a stay of execusion!!! Hope wll is well with you and chemo is ok - I am now focussing on what I need to prep for it!!
The lady in the bed next to me in hospital was doing exactly that - a double mx and no reconstruction. she had discovered horse riding as a hobby and did not want to stop for long and felt that "vibrating" any new implant might undermine it. She was really positive and a great inspiration to have in the bed next to me. I was struggling with the whole dx thing!
Cat - hi not sure if you are still reading this thread but you sound similar to me - I am 48, I was diagnosed just a few weeks ago - left boob is my main problem area, today I went in and they did an ultasound on my right as they found some issues that needed looking after the MRI - anyway prior to today, I was to have been booked in to have surgery tomorrow, now I see the specialist Wednesday and find out dates/times. As the cancer in the left boob was quite agressive I asked/spoke about a double masectomy the other week - consultant was not so keen - from today where the right is looking dodgy around a 3 from scan terms I think I will go ahead re a double masectomy. I'm also 48 - I know I need to follow operation with chemo and would not get a reconstruction straight away. As you last posted in Jan I was wondering how you were now getting on - hope you are well and recovery is well in hand for you but I'd be keen to hear first hand how you felt and now feel - thanks
I had a risk reducing mx in November last year after my 1st mx in March 2012. I have chosen to live breast free as fortunately I haven't really missed my breasts. Most of the time I don't wear protheses but do wear beanie boobs in my swimsuit & bikini. It is quite liberating to have the choice & yesterday someone who didn't know I'd had the op said to me ' I love your new look'! I didn't have the heart to tell her the cause of my new look. I am just turned 50 but love designer clothes & dressing up.
everyone is different though & you know what suits you best so listen to your heart.
Thank you for your replies - I'm 'only' 48 (dont get to say only in regards to my age often!) but the more I think about it, the more I dont want the reconstruction.
Thank you, other people's experiences are so helpful, I really appreciate the sharing.
Discuss the skin issue with your surgeon, I had double mastectomy, and both implants had to be removed, eventually, Going to for a DIEP, but I have enough skin left over for my new boobs!
Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences and advice you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share any concerns and thoughts you may with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information.
The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.
Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator
This is my first post so hello everyone.
I will need a double mastectomy in a few months after my chemo has finished. I've got my head around having to have this done but I'm honestly not sure if I want to have reconstruction.
I'm worried if I don't have them, I'll regret it later (I know I can have them later but then will need to get the skin from somewhere else on my body which means more complicated surgery).
I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and has any words of wisdom please.