Double mastectomy?

Hi Everyone
I wonder if there are some out there who opted for a double mastectomy? (I am 64…3 children 6 Grandchildren) I am thinking that this is what I will do without reconstruction.
I am waiting for MRI to get final size etc but at the moment this is lobular Grade 2 with no ultrasound evidence of lymph node involvement.
Feel a bit confused about which forum to communicate on?
Jenjix

Hi Jenny
i was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer 2 years. The cancer was only in one breast but i chose to have a double masectomy. No regrets and just had a 11 hour op for reconstruction which i am so pleased with. I have spoken to others who wished they had a double as each time they go back for check ups they are worried that the cancer will have come back in the other one. Hope this helps and good luck be strong i wasnt strong but got throught it. xx

I had an mx in June 2012. I now wish I had asked for a double. I hate being lopsided and loath the prothesis. I have to wait until Herceptin ends in October before the surgeon will consider options. I do not want all that goes with reconstruction and for me at 57 the second mx is the logical way forward.
Good luck with your results and treatments.

Kahren

Hi Im 39 and just has a mx like Kahren I hate it and when herceptin finshes I want the other one gone. Dont know whether I will reconstruct or not. Am actually getting used to the side without a boob

Hi I am 52 and have had a right sided mastectomy. Im having herceptin until Feb 2013 I have elected to have a left sided mastectomy and a 2nd recon to right breast (implant is not sitting right). I also had lobular grade 3 with lymph node + 3. HER2 +. My decision was purely based on the Lobular reoccurance and precautionary. And I do not want to go through this again.

Dont blame you I will be asking for exactly same
am terrified of recurrance and cant live with this constant fear

I asked for a double mastectomy when I was first diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer in my left breast. I was refused it, told to get through my chemo and rads and ask again. I waited, had a mammogram, a MRI scan and a psychological assessment to make sure I knew the implications of removing healthy tissue and finally had a second MX a year after my first. The breast care nurse had kindly asked for the psychological assessment to be brought forward after I burst into tears during my follow-up appointment with the surgeon. I told him I felt my right breast was a ticking bomb! When the ‘healthy’ tissue was examined they found a 13mm lobular tumour lurking there. I know I was unlucky (or lucky in that they found it in time) but I feel very strongly that a woman with invasive lobular cancer should be given all the facts then, and only if she wants it, be offered a double mastectomy without all the palaver I had to go through.

I’ve been diagnosed with DCIS and as its in 5 areas told I needed a mastectomy. The thought of this horrified me but my immediate reaction was to ask about having the healthy side treated too. I’m booked in on weds to have a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. Im scared about the op, recovery and results but having weighed up my options i need to do this for peace of mind. Im 36 and my mum had bilateral breast cancer (at 49 & then at 58-invasive grade 2 & 3, shes recovere and healthy now), as did my grandmother. With my strong family history and diagnosis at 36 i dont want to take any chances. Ive watched my mum go through this twice and want to limit my risk as much as possible so i can enjoy my time with my two toddlers. Continuous monitoring would make me so anxious and im already paranoid about the healthy side after this experience.

Hi everyone
Thank you so much for all your replies. That has really given me the confidence to stick to my decision…and to know other women have thought along the same lines as I am at the moment…brilliant!
Today I am focused on packing up my flat for the move to York…and once I am there next week a big sigh of relief for being near my family and starting treatment.
Good luck to all of you
Jenjix

Really pleased to see some discussion on double mastectomy as currently thinking I would prefer to have healthy breast on right hand side removed and reconstructed at the same time as a left breast reconstruction next year. I’m going to speak to oncologist about it at what looks like it is my last oncology appointment in two weeks time.
I am wondering how strongly I would have to make a case for having a second mastectomy and if they will consider me high risk enough for the NHS to spend what will amount to a lot more money on having a further mastectomy and two breast reconstructions at the same time. I had invasive ductal with a 6cms tumour so had left breast mastectomy last November and lymph node removal - 3 out of 11 with cancer. I have now finished chemo and 5 wks radiotherapy and have started taking Tamoxifen as ER+ 7/8. Apart from taking the Tamoxifen nothing about my lifestyle has changed (I’m fit, healthy, exercise regularly, not overweight and plan to continue enjoying a glass or two of red wine and the odd gin and tonic) so I am constantly checking my healthy breast for lumps and feel convinced I could get a new primary cancer in that breast. I read on the forum that someone had a new cancer with a different status ie. hormone negative so the Tamoxifen won’t be any good for preventing that.
I suppose my main question is how high risk do you have to be to have a second mastectomy and two-breast reconstruction rather than just one?
Gay x