Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drains question - help please

49 REPLIES 49
Humblepeace

Re: Drains question - help please

Hi Evie-S and Jay68,

Evie I pray that you are recovered from that cold and ready to enjoy the workout at the gym lol 😆
I actually have two more sessions of chemotherapy and the med is Taxotere. It has been less harsh than the first set. I don’t know if rads are going to be required yet, but it was the initial plan before the mascetomy. I will set an appointment soon with the radiologist.

Jay68- I did talk with the physical therapist about cording, it has not happened at this point and she did mention that it may often leave on its own. I pray that happens in your case. I will look into the May 2017 thread.

Both you have Evie-S have been so helpful with info and such kind and supportive words. I really appreciate you both. I’m off to surgeon to have fluid drained, this is the second time. I pray it is the last. You all have a wonderful day. God bless you both.
Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Jay and Humblepeace - I'd totally agree with Jay about joining the monthly chemo group Humblepeace.

Jay - I too had that cord under my arm after surgery. I did my exercises and also had some physio and one day it just wasn't there anymore. Hope yours goes quickly too.

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace - I hope having the fluid drained brings you some relief. I have a very tight cord under my armpit - spoke with the bcn this morning - I'm 4 weeks post-op - they say wait til 6 weeks - if still there got appt with surgeon - he can manipulate and sometimes succesfully they disappear otherwise physio - fingers crossed with continued exercise it may disappear before 6 weeks...!

I hope the chemo is going OK - have you joined any of the monthly chemo groups on here - I was on the May 2017 one and it was really helpful and all the ladies on there are just so lovely - I would highly recommend it. x
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Evie-S - yes my first drive did go well and each time I've been out since it's even better - so nice to go a little further afield - helps with feeing better.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad cold - hope you're now fully recovered and able to do your first session at the gym!

x
Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace and Jay68

So pleased to hear that you are both doing well and sounding so positive. I'm especially relieved to hear Humblepeace that chemo hasn't been too bad - how many and what type are you having? I'm sure your friend's visit helped you loads - in terms of having fun and keeping positive.

Jay - hope your first drive went well. I found it very strange getting back behind the wheel after a break of 4 weeks.

I had the worst cold last week - so unfotunately missed the first session I had booked with a new gym, so I need to refix that. Lovely day here today so going to take advantage and go for a walk soon.

Hugs to you both.

Humblepeace

Hi Jay68 and Evie-S,

I wanted to check-in and say “Hello”. I did have a wonderful time with my friend. She has been back at home for over a week now and I do miss all the fun we had. I had my some fluid drained last week and scheduled to have more drained this Thursday. I feel well and the start of chemotherapy has not been bad.
I went to my first physical therapy session since the op four weeks ago. It was actually pretty cool. It was nice to get a message and to learn about even more exercises I can do to improve my range of motion.

Well, I pray all is well with the both of you.
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace

It sounds as though you've had a good time with your friend visiting.  It does help to have your mind distracted.

I'm feeling well, enjoying being able to go out for lovely walks now and doing little jobs around the home.  I'm going to attempt a small drive on Wednesday - 3 weeks tomorrow was my op.  I'm pleased to hear your drains have been removed - it is much easier to get around and do things without them.  I'm fortunate in that i have had no fluid build up at all and my wounds are healing very quickly.  I'm exercising 3 times a day and it does make it easier.  I get very stiff if I sit or lay in a position for too long!  Good execuse to keep moving!

Hope you continue to do well 

Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S and Jay68,

I pray you are both doing well. I’ve been blessed and visiting with a dear friend from out-of-state (Florida). She only stayed with me for eight days which went by so so quickly, but it was so nice. We went out site seeing everyday and church on Sunday. I did need a distraction from my constant thinking 🤔.

Evil-S I’m happy to hear of you starting a work-out routine. The gym is a great stress reliever, not to mention getting into shape. I know you will enjoy it - just take it slow at first.

Jay68 How are you feeling? Best wishes with the rad/one visit. I had the drains removed last week though I still had over 90-100ml daily. The surgeon did not want me to get an infection, but I now have much fluid in the area and will have to call for an appointment to get the fluid drained as the area looks like I still have my breast lol
Are you having any fluid?
Evie-S
Community Champion

Evening ladies

Humblepeace - I'm so pleased to hear your news, that there is nothing to be concerned about. Am I right that chemo re-starts for you tomorrow? If so I wish you all the very best. Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Jay68 - perseverance is definitely the thing with the arm exercises. Do ask for some physio if you don't feel you are making enough progress. I had some and it really helped. I still have to make sure I do the exercises/stretching a few times a day. Very best wishes to you for your radiotherapy. Again, I'm happy to discuss anything if it helps.

I have just signed up with a new gym, start next week with a one to one session. I feel very unfit so will be taking it very gently.

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi ladies - just a quick update from me!

Exercises going well - did find them a bit tricky a couple of days ago, all seemed to be suddenly so tight - but perserverance has paid off and today they were better!

Received a phone call from breast nurse yesterday afternoon, it now seems they are considering rads for me to the collar bone and neck area? - waiting for the appointment to see rads/onc hopefully very soon - I have lots of questions....

Hope you're both doing well x

Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S and Jay68,
I saw the surgeon on Monday and the oncologist today. I had an ultrasound and both examined the site and each reassured me that it was a collection of tissue, fluid, and perhaps a bit of swelling. Nothing to be concerned over. Thanks for all your kind words.

How are you both doing?
Humblepeace

Thanks Evie-S, I really appreciate the information. It’s weird how the numbness can last so long. I will see the surgeon tomorrow afternoon and I will ask for an ultrasound that can be performed at the Breast Center which can be viewed by a skilled radiologist. I’m believing for a good report.

Hi Jay68!!
Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace - I think you are right that the surgeon would have got everything with the mastectomy, but we are on a heightened state of alert now and aware of every lump and bump. I don't know where the lump is but could it be scar tissue from one of your ops? Your surgeon/nurse/oncologist will always be happy to check and reassure you.

I remember the area under my armpit and the inner arm being numb after the op, and part of it is still numb but I am more used to it now so it doesn't really feel numb if that makes sense. With the surgery I believe they cut various nerves - some of which I think grow back (I'm not medical and a bit squeamish so don't ask too much about the surgery!)

All the very best to you for restarting chemo.

Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing ok today. 

Jay68 - hope you are doing well today.

Evie x

Humblepeace

Thanks Jay68. I will restart the next 4 sessions of chemotherapy starting on Thursday. I initially had a lumpectomy of the right breast, and a month and a half later I felt another lump near the scar. Went to the surgeon and was told it was possibly a cyst, but we would continue to monitor. Therefore, I began chemo and the chemo had no visible effect on the lump. Chemotherapy was 4 session at that point. I continued to check back with the surgeon until she removed the lump and sent it to pathology and it was a tumor. The oncologist stated that perhaps due to it not being in the deep tissue of my breast may be why it was not changed by chemo. That is what led to the mascetomy. After this two weeks of healing the chemo with a different set of meds will start. So, to answer your question about rads, I will be meeting with the oncologist on Tuesday and then later the radiologist to review the new plan since the mascetomy.
Thanks so much for sharing information. God bless you.
Jay68
Community Champion

Early days Humblepeace -  I have a few bumps in the area and mine is very numb in most areas at the mo - when I met with the surgeon on Thursday he examined me - he thought I had a small seroma but the nurse felt it was significant enough to drain. I was advised if there was any increase in size or discomfort to phone them and they would drain it - but in all honesty it's not any bigger and not causing me any problem.  Under my armpit it feels there are at least 2 oranges - not to feel, in sensation!  No pain though.  I'm sure if the surgeon gave the news from the pathology report, there is nothing to be worrying about.  Do you know if you're having rads?

Humblepeace

It’s been two weeks today since the surgery. I don’t think the surgeon would have missed anything with a full mascetomy. The surgeon stated all margins were clear and all lump nodes negative. Appointment on Monday. Thanks again.

Hi Evie-S,
How are you?
Humblepeace

Hey Jay68,

I have a question about how the site is healing. Do you feel any lumps in the area? I was showering today and felt what seemed like a lump in the area. Things actually still sore and even numb in some areas. Thanks
Jay68
Community Champion

Thank you Humblepeace and Evie-S - I am still beaming - I'm just so relieved - just got to get over the surgery and then I can be "normal" again! (whatever "normal" is?!).

Hopefully your drains will be removed soon - you must be tired of carrying them around with you. 5 days was too long for me.
Humblepeace

Jay68,
That is good news. You must be floating on a cloud with that great news. I celebrate with you!!

Evie-S,
The drains are still in as one of them still is producing more than 30ml in a 24hr period, but it’s less than a week ago.
I laugh because tonight I’m up a bit later than usual lol
Have a blessed day.
Evie-S
Community Champion

Jay68 - fantastic news, I'm so thrilled for you. Hope the healing continues to go well for you.

Humblepeace - thanks for your message. Ha ha, I hadn't thought that you might be in a different country rather than an insomniac! Hope all's well with you today. Any news on the drains yet?

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Delighted to say been to see the surgeon today and have been given the all clear!  I no longer have cancer!  I'm just so relieved and excited x

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace

All is well with me - I have the follow up appointment with the surgeon this afternoon - I'm hoping he's as happy with his neat job as I am!  

I am doing the exercises 3x daily and I do find they help with discomfort.

Hope all is good with you x

Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S,
I had written a response to your very good news, but when checking back in I could find my response......so I don’t know where it posted....or perhaps.....user error?? Lol
I was so happy to read the good news.
Also, I actually sleep very well and usually I’m in bed before 11pm or midnight, but I live in California. We have a big time difference lol.

Hey Jay68
I pray all is well with you and you’re healing well.
Jay68
Community Champion

I am so pleased for your news Evie-S - such a huge relief for you. x
Evie-S
Community Champion

Humblepeace and Jay68 - I just wanted to share my relief at being told that my new lump is benign. Thank you so much for your support.

I hope you are both doing well today. Humblepeace - looks like you had trouble sleeping last night (judging by the time of your post)? I do hope your fluid is continuing to fall.

Evie x

Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S, and Jay68,

I pray the start of the week has been good for the both of you. Jay68 I trust that you’re probably doing a bit more moving about, but take it easy. How are you feeling?
Also, you were both right on with the “right number” associated with drain removal and according to my surgeon that number number is 30ml or less in a 24hr period. Only one of my drains are at that number. I will wait to see the numbers in a few days. I’m in faith 🙏

The surgeon gave a good report on the area healing well and the pathology report was good as well. I thank God!!
Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace - thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts, you are very kind and I appreciate your offer to listen if I need, especially when you are so recently out of surgery yourself. I also wanted to say that I hope I didn't misunderstand your question on drains - I thought you wanted to know why the amounts varied up and down, and I couldn't answer that. But I do go along with what Jay68 has said that there seems to be a magic number when they are then happy to take out the drains. Mine were removed before I left hospital so I didn't pay quite so much attention to them. I have every confidence that yours will be removed tomorrow. Keep us posted will you.

Jay68 - so glad to hear that your drains are now both out, it's such a relief when you don't have to worry about getting them caught on things (or maybe that was just me!). Take it easy for a bit longer - but all of a sudden you will realise that you are doing semi normal things again.

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace - Hooray I'm delighted to say both drains are out and compression binder has gone!  My movement is not quite so restrictive now!  Now resting and taking it easy until Thursday's follow up with the surgeon.

The breast nurse informed me the surgeon would have used nerve blocking meds in the whole area.  Hence the numb feeling - mine is gradually wearing off!  Hence a little discomfort requiring 4 hourly pain relief!

Hope all goes well for you on Monday. x

Humblepeace

Hi Jay68,
Thank you for more info. I’m am believing for the removal of both on Monday. In a 12 hour period one drain had 2ml and the other had 55ml.
I happy for you getting the compression bandage off, mine were removed completely by day 4.
Do you know if you received any nerve blocking meds in that area. I was very numb feeling in the area up until about day 5. I was not told about any such meds beforehand, but read a lot about them on the internet. I will definitely ask on Monday.

I pray for your continued healing process.
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Humblepeace - a little more info on drains. Nurse came this morning - going to remove both of mine tomorrow - one had 60 the other 50 - she said they prefer to do them both together and also they like to get them out on day 5 I can also remove the compression binder tomorrow too - I can already feel the freedom in my mind!!! Hope all goes well for you on Monday.
Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S,
I’m praying for you and I believe you are covered with peace. This can be a very anxious time, it’s good to spend time with friends. Please write as often as you would like.

Jay68,
Thanks for the info on drains. I’m hopeful that on Monday I will get rid of both or at least one. Your family support is so beautiful. My daughter is still at home with me, she is currently enrolled in a graduate 👨🏻‍🎓 program. She is very positive and helps me all the time.

Prays and hugs 🤗
Evie-S
Community Champion

Thank you Jay68 for your kind words, I really do appreciate that. I'm so pleased to read that your son is handling it well and that you have a positive attitide. That will really help you all. I had a lovely walk this morning through the fields in the sunshine with a lovely friend, which has helped hugely.

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Thinking of you Evie-S in this new period of anxiety - not an easy time at all. x
Jay68
Community Champion

Hello Humblepeace - yes I feel fortunate to have a daily visit from a nurse. I have one child - a son who will be 14 in a couple of weeks time. He is taking everything extremely well - partly due to my positive attitude! My Husband has been off for this first week and I'm extremely grateful - he's been an absolute angel at looking after me and taking over the household duties!!

Also I can give you a little advice on drains - the nurse told me today that one of my drains was just over 50..  Apparently on your surgeon's notes there will be advice re drains - it could be they must stay in for 5 days or if under 50mls in 24 hours they can be taken out - so it will be depend on your discharge notes.  I've checked my notes and mine do say if under 50mls it can be removed - so one of mine may be able to come out tomorrow - hooray!  A little bit of freedom....!

Evie-S
Community Champion

Humblepeace - I'm sorry I don't know much about the fluid in the drains. Definitely a question for your surgeon on Monday, but I hope by then the fluid will have reduced in both so they can be removed. You could start a new thread and ask that specific question as someone will have had that experience. I will be thinking of you on Monday and hope that you get the reassurance you want. Does your daughter live with you? Is she coping ok with your diagnosis and treatment?

I went for what I thought would be a check up yesterday and ended up having a new lump in my other breast biopsied. It sent me right back to how I felt when I was originally diagnosed. So I'm feeling a bit anxious today as I wait for the results next week sometime.

Jay68 - I hope you are continuing to make good progress.

Evie x

Humblepeace

Hello ,

Jay68 I’m so happy to hear that you are back at home and recovering well. How nice to have a nurse helping you. I was my own nurse and butler lol 😂. I believe the nurse will take good care of you. Do you have children to care for. I have one daughter, she’s 23 yrs and very sufficient at taking care of herself. However, she still has one hundred and two questions to ask me daily lol I love it 😍
Be blessed and rest often.

Evie-S
Thank you for sharing your treatment plan with me. It seems like you are moving forward. You have shared so good info with me and I’m very thankful. I go in to the surgeon on Monday to get the pathology report as well as the recheck since the surgery.......and I pray I will get the drains or at least one drain removed. I’m at approximately 60ml - 90ml in 24 hours. Do you know why it varies so much? Some days I have 20ml in one drain for the entire day and 100ml in the other????

Well Ladies, may we continue to receive God’s blessings and peace throughout this journey.
Evie-S
Community Champion

Jay68 - so pleased to hear that your op was a success and even more that you are home and doing well. You are so right, take things easy for a while. Happy to answer any questions if I can as I am a little further down the road.

Humblepeace - very glad to read that you too are doing well. Thank you so much for asking about me. I had surgery in May then finished 3 weeks of radiotherapy at the end of June. I'm now on Tamoxifen. Thankfully I seem to be ok on that drug as I will take it for 10 years. Energy is coming back but I need to remind myself not to overdo things. Same message to you - happy to answer any questions if I can either on this thread or you can send me a private message.

Love, Evie xx

Jay68
Community Champion

Hello ladies - operation was successful on Tuesday!  I stayed in overnight and I arrived safely home yesterday morning.  So nice to be back in the luxury of my own bed in my own home  I thank the Lord everyday now for the small things in life that everyone still takes for granted!

i'm fortunate in that I have very little pain - the only discomfort is due to the two drains I have.  I have a nurse visiting me for next 4 days who's generally keeping an eye on me and emptying my drains - although I have also been doing it myself!  Not that I like doing it...ergh!

Generally I feel well, feeling stronger everyday.  But today is only 2 days on so not rushing things too much!

Hope you are well.  Much love x

Humblepeace

Hi Evie-S,
I’m handling the drains much better. Though I will appreciate when they are out altogether lol 😂
I have very little pain and I’m sleeping well at night. I thank God for each improvement. How are you doing?
May has been a bit of time since your surgery. How is your treatment progressing?
Evie-S
Community Champion

Humblepeace, how are you doing with your drains etc and how are you feeling? Hugs to you too.
Evie x
Humblepeace

Hi Jay68,
I have prayed for you and I believe that all went well with you. May your recovery time be peaceful. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless you🙏
Evie-S
Community Champion

Jay68 - thinking of you today and hoping the operation has gone well. Obviously not yet but when you feel up to it do let us know. Sending hugs and get well wishes.

Evie x

Humblepeace

Hi Jay68,
I pray all goes well with you. It is a process and the sooner one step is complete it makes moving on easier. I just had a right side mascetomy on this past Friday, just three days have past. I was a bit sleepy and definitely not too alert on Friday once I was back at home. No overnight stay in the hospital. I did not have any pain to speak of, a twinge here or there. I believe the surgeon put strong numbing medicine in that area as I didn't feel too much of anything. However, it has began to wear off. I have had good energy and able to do most things for myself. Thank God
I pray all goes well with you. God bless you.🙏🙏
Jay68
Community Champion

Thank you Evie-S - I'm excited and at the same time very nervous..... eekks!! x
Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Jay68 - I wanted to wish you all the very best tomorrow. I had mx, reconstruction and node removal in May. I think the first 12 hours afterwards were the toughest, but probably because of the GA and the fact that the nurses wake you so regularly to take BP etc. I seemed to be up and walking around and doing arm exercises very quickly afterwards. In fact, as everyone will tell you, do make sure you do the arm exercises exactly as they tell you. Any questions please ask.

Evie x

Jay68
Community Champion

Hi ladies - I am from the May 2017 chemo group - I'm having my right hand mx and complete node removal tomorrow afternoon.  Right now I'm feeling nervous and excited - can't wait for this bit to be behind me.  I'm staying in overnight tomorrow, returning home on Wednesday fingers crossed!!  I'm fortunate to be having a nurse visit me every afternoon to empty the drains and change dressings.  

How quick were you up and about feeling OK'ish?  

J x

Ezzie1698

Humblepeace,

I didn't have any dressings!  I've often read here about people and their dressings but I missed out.  I had a piece of tape securing my drain and that was removed with my drain after six days.  My mastectomy scars were just glued and left open to fresh air.  They healed very quickly.

Hope this helps. Ezzie. X

Humblepeace

Ezzie1698
Thanks so much for your response. I wish I were more tuned in before leaving the outpatient center (the meds from the surgery). I would have asked more questions.
I suppose I'm being a bit over precaution. I want to be safe. I wasn't using gloves to start with, but then I thought maybe the hospital gave me that instruction but I missed it. How soon were your bandages removed? I had surgery Friday, Sept. 15.
Thanks again and God bless you.
Ezzie1698

Hello Humblepeace

I was 'new' here once too!  Not a club any of us really wanted to join but you will find lots of friendly folk and some great tips.

I only had one drain and I personally didn't wear gloves to empty it.  I did adopt thorough hand washing hygiene techniques whilst reciting Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle etc. (or whatever!) - both before and afterwards.  I emptied mine into little measuring cups that the ward gave me on discharge in order to monitor output.  Mine could be removed once it had produced less than 30mls in a 24 hour period (about 6 days post-op for me). Check your paperwork for when you left hospital as it might say what is applicable for you.  Not all hospitals are the same.  Your BC nurse may be able to tell you if you can't find the details.

I had a cloth bag with a long shoulder strap which I could wear satchel fashion and I put my drain in there.  It was more comfortable and reduced the risk of pulling it out.  When showering, it went in a carrier bag which I then hung up in the shower.

Here's hoping you have a problem free recovery. Ezzie. X

Humblepeace

Drains question - help please

Hello , I'm new here and wanted a little advice on drains. I had a right side mascetomy and sent home with two drains.
1. Must I wear gloves when emptying my own drains
2. How soon can they be removed

I pray I have posted in the right forum. This is my first post. Thanks so much in advance for any tips.