Drinking fluids to help with chemo

Hi,

We are told to drink 2litres of water a day to help with chemo side effects. Does anyone know if this is just water - or does tea count towards the 2 litres? This may be a silly question, but I don’t know the answer? If not tea, then what other fluids count?

xx

Ho Lola - that’s not a silly question, we do not believe in silly questions, just questions needing answers. In fact I think it’s a good question!

The two litres is whatever you can face to drink - water, tea, coffee, non-acid fruit juice (acid can hurt your disgestive tract once chemo starts), milkshakes, smoothies… If you feel a bit nauseous fizzy water, ginger ale/gingerbeer or peppermint tea may help. Some people like the odd glass of lager, but obviosuly alcohol can be dehydrating, so that has to be in moderation!! I found it was best to keep sipping away at drinks all day.

Hope all goes well for you and your side effects are tenny weeny

I was told 2 litres of water per day and although I could drink tea and coffee I should try to drink as much water as possible. I aimed to drink 1 litre before chemo and then as much as possible afterwards, on chemo days I think I did drink more than 2 litres. I did add some Elderflower cordial and drink some ginger ale for variety. My aim was to flush the chemo out of my system as effectively as possible. I continued to drink 2 litres per day throughout the cycle and I didn’t suffer too badly with nausea. Hope your chemo goes smoothly and that your Side effects are few and mild.

Thanks for the tips and for the good wishes. I haven’t got a start date yet so am jumping the gun a bit.
I’m not generally a water drinker but I do drink a lot of tea and fruit juices. I like ginger beer, so that is something I can get. Pineapple juice is recommended, but one glass of that is quite enough for me!

I think when they give me my chemo, they’d better give it me on the loo!!

I was aware from this site of people being told to drink lots, my chemo unit didn’t mention it and I didn’t drink any more than usual (I don’t drink an awful lot). I was absolutely fine and coped with chemo well, I think you have to do what you’re comfortable with.

I think that it is good to plan and find out what you can do to help yourself cope. There are some really good Top tips for chemo on this ste which you may want to have a look at.
Before chemo I was rubbish at drinking enough water - but during chemo I managed it and I think it helped to be doing something positive during treatment. Good luck

Never was a truer word spoken Poemsgalore. Even before BC I was constantly back and forth to the loo - several times at night etc. Knew I should drink lots of water for chemo but thought if I drunk more fluid than usual my “loo” problem would get out of hand. Result … FEC 1 got cystitis and was up all night with the feeling that I needed the loo. All the next day and evening too.
Fec 2 I drank a lot of water the day prior to chemo (I understand that good hydration helps with the veins) drank a litre of water during chemo and kept on drinking for the next 36 hours. No cystitis this time. I think they prefer water to tea or coffee as although they are still fluids they can in effect dehydrate you.

It also depends on which regimen you’re on too. I was told that one of the drugs in fec (can’t remember which) can make your bladder sting (cystitis?) so when that one is going in, that’s the time to guzzle, guzzle, guzzle. I’m like you Border Collies, one cup of tea = 5 trips to the loo and sometimes more.

pg

Thanks folks. We are all different, but drinking lots of water before, during and after seems to be the thing most people recommend, and I guess I will have to cut down on the tea. Maybe the poisoned taste buds will make the decision for me anyway once on chemo!

I am in the same club as regards loo visits. I am dreadful and have to plan my days out round places where there will be some. I drive my husband mad.

I am always on the loo. I drink gallons of water. 10 days into first Chemo and a sore mouth and throat. Left off water for a few days and it got worse. It’s best to flush the chemicals out. I found the injections for brining up the white cells were worst than the Chemo drugs. Sheila.

Hello ladies. I completed my chemotherapy (FEC-T with targeted therapy) at the end of 2016 and I can confirm that drinking 2 litres of fluid daily does seem to help reduce the effects, even though it sends you to the loo a lot (with FEC particularly). On the only occasion I managed to drink 1 litre before FEC chemotherapy (second infusion), the SEs were significantly reduced and I didn’t get nausea at all. How much that was down to the extra drinking (plus salty soup) before the treatment, and how much it was down to a different anti-sickness drug I cannot say, but certainly the two in combination helped (I had the same anti-sickness drug the third time and it didn’t work!). However, I should add a note of caution, because drinking too much can give you hyponatremia (sodium deficiency), especially if you drink a lot after having chemotherapy but are unable to eat much or anything at all, because of nausea. This happened to me following my first and third FEC infusions, and both times I ended up in A&E as a result. The first time it developed into cerebral oedema (swelling on the brain) before anyone realised how serious it was, and I was in hospital for 5 days being treated for this. One of the anti-coagulant sickness drugs I was given (Domperidone) could also have contributed and made it worse than it would otherwise have been. The second episode (following the third infusion) it was less serious, and didn’t develop into oedema, because I realised what was happening and got to A&E quicker, so they got it under control quickly and I only had to stay in overnight. Just so that you know, the main symptoms of hyponatremia are confusion, difficulty communicating, uncontrollable shaking and blurred/ double vision. If you start to feel any of these effects, tell those with you, because the quicker you get to hospital the better. I hope this never happens to you, and I don’t want to worry you because these effects are rare, but I thought I should warn you. Take care and hope you are all feeling better soon. The excessive wee-ing should go away once you are off FEC but if you are going on to T afterwards it has side effects of its own. You’ll probably still be spending a long time on the loo but for other reasons…