Driving after surgery

Hi All

This is the first time for me to post, so hope I’ve done this correctly.

I have recently been diagnosed and will be having a double masectomy on the 10th June.

I am a self employed driving instructor. I want to be able to start back to work asap after my op. I’ve been told it will take 3-4 weeks before I can drive again. The issue I have will be the movement in my arms. As I sit in the passenger seat, I will need to be quick to grab the steering if someone drives dangerously.

Can anyone let me know (in your opinion), from your experiences, how long it will take to have good movement with your arms.

Thanks xx

Hello Lordmaria

Welcome to the forums, I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies yet.

If you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information please call our helpline which opens again on Tuesday.

The freephone number is 0808 800 6000 and normal opening times are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Thank you Kess for your reply. I believe I will be having lymph node removed about 3 or 4 each side. Your advice is very helpful. I’ll get on to my leasing company and get advice about their insurance rules. Thank you xx

Thanks Tolliebelle

You have a good point. I’d hate for any accident to happen. Looks like it will take a lot longer than thought. Best of luck with your recovery xx