Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving after the Recon op

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Driving after the Recon op

Hello all!

Thank you for your prompt response!

I will take all your comments on board. I wish you all to heal as soon as possible!!!

Kind regards,
Julia

Highlighted

Hi there,

I also had the TRAM - well actually a muscle sparing TRAM, so almost a DIEP and with less of an impact on my muscles than a conventional TRAM. I was told not to drive for 4 weeks, and I agree with the others that 2 weeks sounds far too soon. I know it is tempting to think that you could manage, but the bottom line is you've got to be able to safely do an emergency stop, and after such major surgery I don't think that is realistic after 2 weeks. If driving is essential for your work, perhaps your GP could sign you off until you are capable of driving again?

Jx

Highlighted

Hi

I had tram done 14 weeks ago now and I started to drive week 4 but that was only down the road and it was automatic. I think driving just after 2 weeks is too soon as it is a big op and you will still be healing, the last thing you want to do is to start putting a lot of strain on your tummy.

Lots of love

Carole xx

Highlighted

Hi Julia,

I had a DIEP recon, which is similar to a TRAM without the muscle being used. I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks after the op and I don't think you would be insured to drive until 6 weeks. I felt ready to drive before that, but certainly not after only 2 weeks - it's a big operation.

Maybe you could check with your insurers; after all if your car is essential for your work, you wouldn't want to have an uninsured accident.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your op.

Sally x

Highlighted

Driving after the Recon op

Hello!

To those who had TRAM recon operation can I ask you a simple but important for me question: how long after the operation it takes in order to be able to drive?
The problem is I drive to work and it is essentual for me to come back to work after two weeks. Do you think it is realistic?

Thank you all in advance for sharing.

Julia