Driving to treatment and recovery after?

Hi. I’m anxious about getting myself in and out for treatment each day. Will the rads leave me too tired to drive myself? Also wondering how long it takes to recover enough afterwards to get back to work?

I’m not being very helpful but my response is ‘It depends’.

I was fine after radio, not even tired. One of my friends said the same and preferred to drive herself there and back (40 miles each way). Another friend said she preferred being driven and wanted to sit quiet on the way back (she said she preferred her OH to drive her as on the return journey they could be quiet, whereas friends wanted to chat).

None of us were working at the time so I can’t comment on that aspect.

Hello Janey again, it depends how far you have to travel each way, also have you had chemo?  I had an hour’s drive each way, but hadn’t had chemo.  The first week or so I could have driven myself, but chose not to (too much of a cowardy custard as I wasn’t sure what to expect) - sometimes there was over an hour’s wait for treatment - this all adds to the tiredness.  Also at the end of each week I wanted some sort of treat, so we went for a tea or something.  I did feel tired into the third week and just wanted to get home and have an old lady nap, and then for a few weeks afterwards.  I had given up work about a year before diagnosis, so didn’t have that worry - I do feel you need to be kind to yourself at this time and put yourself first - if you want to go to work and feel ok of course go, but please don’t make yourself do it.  I do think that I recovered quickly because I didn’t have to do anything, and sometimes we don’t realise how much our bodies need to recuperate after all the treatment we’ve had. Look after yourself. :catvery-happy:

Thank you and hello again! I am hoping no chemo but won’t know for a couple of weeks I guess. I work at an adjoining hospital, so I shall plan a Friday catch up treat with them. I’m feeling reassured thank you about driving, as only half hour each way. My partner is self employed, so we want to save his time for biggies - ie results days! Work are being great and a friend is acting up, so it’s covered - just my worry about not being there! X

I just finished my rads treatment.  I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.  I drove myself and on some days went shopping right after.  

I’m going through the after effects now.

I hope the after affects don’t wipe you out too much and thank you for heads up on driving - just want to get it over with now! X