EC versus FEC for triple negative

Has anyone just had/having EC and not FEC for triple negative. Have had my surgery and had call roday to start EC chemo in Jan 8th . Just wondering why it’s not FEC… Does anyone know ??

Thanks xx

Hi Brewster

This might be something the Helpline could help you with.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi 

I was diagnosed with Triple Neg in September. Stage 3, but a small tumour, and not in my lymph nodes. I underwent a lumpectomy a week after diagnosis. Since then I have had 4, 3 weekly doses of EC. I then had a 3 week break, and have now started 12 weekly doses of Taxol/carboplatin at a reduced dose. I will then have 15 sessions of radiotherapy.

I never questioned the EC part of it, as I was assured it was the strongest/most toxic of all chemos by my nurses. I suppose I just assumed it must be doing the job, if they considered it the worst. A little daunting admitedly, but I am happy to say, it did not live up to its dreaded reputation, and I came through the other side. 

The carbo/taxol regime is quite a new regime for triple neg, in fact I am one of 4 woman under The Christy that has started it. It is normally used for secondary breast cancer. 

I feel very confident that my treatment regime is quite cutting edge, as they are changing the treatments for triple neg all the time. My oncologist is also very forward thinking, so I am happy to be a guinea pig…

I am happy to answer any other questions, so please ask. We are a bit of a minority, but the great news is it responds very very well to chemo…

All the best 

Hi 

I was diagnosed with Triple Neg in September. Stage 3, but a small tumour, and not in my lymph nodes. I underwent a lumpectomy a week after diagnosis. Since then I have had 4, 3 weekly doses of EC. I then had a 3 week break, and have now started 12 weekly doses of Taxol/carboplatin at a reduced dose. I will then have 15 sessions of radiotherapy.

I never questioned the EC part of it, as I was assured it was the strongest/most toxic of all chemos by my nurses. I suppose I just assumed it must be doing the job, if they considered it the worst. A little daunting admitedly, but I am happy to say, it did not live up to its dreaded reputation, and I came through the other side. 

The carbo/taxol regime is quite a new regime for triple neg, in fact I am one of 4 woman under The Christy that has started it. It is normally used for secondary breast cancer. 

I feel very confident that my treatment regime is quite cutting edge, as they are changing the treatments for triple neg all the time. My oncologist is also very forward thinking, so I am happy to be a guinea pig…

I am happy to answer any other questions, so please ask. We are a bit of a minority, but the great news is it responds very very well to chemo…

All the best 

Hi Rachel

As far as I understand they do like to use a taxol with TNBC, that’s my understanding but treatment does seem to vary from hospital to hospital and consultant to consultant . I would ask your oncologist

Xx

Hi. I was diagnosed with TNBC in June and am on neoadjuvent chemotherapy. I am currently on a weekly Taxol & Carboplatin regime for 12 weeks followed by 4, 3 weekly FEC. I am currently on the 9th session of Taxol & Carboplatin and wanted to find out how both compare to in terms of side effects. Is FEC worse than the Taxol/Carbo combination? I have tolerated Taxol fine, with Carboplatin, I get tired very easily but that seems to be the only side effect I have had to date. Do you lose all your hair, eye brows, eye lashes etc with FEC, skin and nail changes etc as well?

Any information on the side effects of FEC will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I had 4EC & then 4 Docetaxel last one tomorrow- I was advised the F part if FEC is no longer required as research shows EC just as effective

Hi, my consultant said the same. In fact he described it as old fashioned and harsh. No need to have the  F part if its not needed. x

I’m another diagnosed with TN in June. Now in cycle 4 of 3 weekly carboplatin and weekly taxol. After this cycle I move onto 3 cycles of EC. I’m in the Partner trial and having olaparib for 12 days of each CT cycle.

Eliza

Interesting thread. I’m tnbc, small tumour, no node involvement. I’ve had my lumpectomy already.

I’m having 6cycles of docetaxol and carboplatin on a three weekly basis. After that rads.

Hi Anniej

Thank you so much for the information. I use Emend for nausea during my Carboplatin week and I have already bought a wig as I expected my hair to be lost during my weekly Carboplatin & Taxol regime. I use the cold cap which has preserved most of my hair but it is starting to bald out from the top. Looks like I will be using my wig after all while I am on FEC!

Thank you so much for the tips, I will keep them in mind.

Were you particularly tired out and drained through out FEC and how badly effected were your bloods, white cells, neutrophils etc?

I started with chemo in January 2017 for stage 3 TNBC. I was only offered 6x FECT treatment with the drug being changed after no 3 to dox. The first 3 were no problem at all but the last 3 were awful. In fact, although I had my last session in May 2017 I still have the pins and needles in my toes and all my toenails but one big one have fallen out. I was told these effects may not go till Christmas 2017. I was told initially that my cancer

had spread to the l nodes but after 5 chemos a CT scan showed this was no longer a problem.