EC versus Tac or Tax

Morning

Hope someone can help on this one. I am about to finish by last of 6 EC’s and it’s niggling me after reading some posts that I haven’t been given the strongest/best medication. I asked my onc about his decision to give me 6 x EC’s he said first off, he didn’t think the ‘Flouricil’ did any good so he doesn’t give FEC then he said he wouldn’t give me tax or tac because he thought I was moderate chance of cancer recurring - I am grade 2, had a 14mm lump, 1 lymph node involved, er+ and her2+ - I would have thought with being her2 that I would be high risk. What I would love to know is if ther is anyone else out there with same dx as me who is on a different regime. Obviously I don’t WANT anymore chemo, in fact I am delighted at the prospect of finishing as I can’t bear anymore but… a part of me worries I’m not having enough as most of you seem to be on 8 lots as opposed to 6 and on AC or tax as opposed to EC.

Any thoughts so much appreciated and thanks to everyone who has posted to me over the last 4 months, you have got me through this and still are doing.

Carrie x

Hi Carrie

I had AC which I believe is the same as EC - its just they use the maufacturers name (the A part) - but I had AC which was epirubicin and cycophosphamide - is that what you have?

Different centres seem to use different regimes but I was told it was gold standard treatment I had - I had a grade 3 aggresive invasive ductal 5cm tumour - I too just had 6 pulses of chemo. I am triple negative and have had mast and am now on my last week or rads. Also no lymph node involvement.

Hope this helps a bit

Take care
Fiona
xx

Hi Carrie

It might help you to talk through treatment protocols with one of the cancer helplines like Cancer Bacup or Breast Cancer Care.

Treatment protocols are chnaging all the time, and then different oncologists have different preferences, often relating to different pieces of research.

I was first diagnosed in Oct 2003 and am amazed at how quickly treatments have changed since then. For example when I had taxotere in 2004 there were a handful of us with primary bc having the drug (I had a grade 3 and lots of nodes,)…now more people get taxotere…but not all, because it isn’t necessary for all.

Chemotherapy is powerful and it is poisonous and it has long term effects…probably far more people are now getting chemotherapy for minimal benefit and this should perhaps be questioned more…the toxicity of the drugs has to be balanced with the likelihood of an impact.

I think we all have to have some faith that we had the best treatment there was at the time. Yes question and get information, but cancer is complex and the treatment suitable for one kind of breast cancer may not be best for another.

very best wishes

Jane

Hi Carrie

As Jane has suggested, please feel free to call our helpline for more information and advice regarding your treatment queries. The line is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hmmmm, Jane’s comments are interesting, as I had a similar diagnosis as you, Carrie, two small invasive ductals, 3mm and 6.5mm, one ER+ and PR+ the other HER-2+++ with one node involved.

I received 4 FEC and 4 TAX, radiotherapy, Arimidex and will shortly (if heart scan OK) be starting Herceptin.

I have often questioned as to why I was receiving such aggressive treatment, for what appeared to me, such small tumours with only the one lymph involved, but my oncologist is of the view that it is best to hit the enemy with everything in the arsenal to hopefully wipe out any stray cells that may be circulating and prevent any recurrence. Also (so I think I have heard) Taxotere and Herceptin work well together in the prevention of recurrence of HER-2+++.

As Jane has said, chemotherapy affects the whole body, and the possibility of long term damage does worry me, particularly as now I have peripheral neuropathy affecting my feet, which I understand can be permanent.

So whilst I am (sort of) grateful that I have received all this treatment, I am more than a little concerned that chemo and radiotherapy, not to mention Arimidex and Herceptin may in future cause me more problems and therefore have a negative impact on my quality of life.

Best wishes

xxx

I had 4xFEC and 4xtax because of being triple neg even though I had no nodes involved.2cm IDC.I think all oncologists have their favourite regimes to fit the different types of bc.

Hi there
I have just finished 4 Tax and 4 EC as part of a trial. I know the EC has shrunk my tumour so they must be pretty effective.
I think hospitals are using EC more and more. At the end of the day I think all the current treatments are pretty good.
Wishing you all the best
Alison x

Hi
I had grade2 17mm cancer 1node involved er+ her2- and I had 3fec followed by 3taxotere (last tax tomorrow if bloods and everything ok).Carrie are you having herseptin I have read on here that herseptin puts you on the same level as her2- so that is good and I am sure your oncologist worked out the best treatment for your cancer (hate that word).
justme what is peripheral neuropathy as my feet have become swollen and sore since having taxotere.

love mel

Peripheral neuropathy is when the nerves at the extremities of your body are affected in our case by chemo[often taxotere].I think it is most usually numbness or tingling in hands and feet but it can be a burning sesation.Mine is numbness in fingers and toes which came on with taxotere.It used to clear up between treatments but it never went away after the last one[May 2007].I have been told it usually goes quite quickly but can be permanent.You should tell your chemo team as it can be avoided by reducing the dose of chemo.All the best from horacex