cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEK having gone through chemo, lumpectomy I may now need mastectomy

4 REPLIES 4
jillybee

Re: EEK having gone through chemo, lumpectomy I may now need mastectomy

Yes,they have,as mentioned,MDTs and discuss all aspects of your care.Seeing other profefessionals in the team,they would refer you back to your surgeon.Why do you not want a mastectomy??althogh can understand your feelings,but if it means the cancer going ,I would consider it.A mastectomy would not be offered unless it was deemed necessary.Maybe talk to a BCN about your fears,and if mastectomy is the way forward discuss recon.keep us posted.x
mary32

Hi again

The surgeon would not have made a decision like this on his/her own. They have 'multi-disciplinary meetings' where each case is discussed and a treatment plan decided on.

Having said that you need to understand the reasoning behind this decision to be reasurred that the right treatment is being done.

In my experience, and what I have read, scans can tell you if there is definitely something there, it cannot tell you that there is definitely nothing there. I also think that the practise is still surgery, even if the cancer has had a complete response to chemo.

Ask for another appointment so that you can talk it through and understand what it all means so that you can make an informed decision, and of course it is YOUR decision.

Take care.

Mary

SamanthaL

Surgery then chemo, cleared the margins, but then, having looked at a scan found two had grown in - post surgery, so it was growing fast. Then the scan consultant couldn't find the tumours after two rounds of chemo.
They gave me the impression after that that only radio would be required.
Dunno now, but feel that they have made a decision with out talking it through with me.
mary32

Hi

What surgery did you have and before or after chemo? In what terms have they said all cancer gone, did you get clear margins?

Mary

SamanthaL

EEK having gone through chemo, lumpectomy I may now need mastectomy

Feeling a bit at sea,
Additional Tumours found iafter surgey HER2+ Eost - but gone , due to chemo etc but they are still talking mastectomy.
What questions do I need to ask, I really really don't want this if I can help it. Asked to see all parties and not just the surgeon, but are there any other tests they should do?