cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early retirement

10 REPLIES 10
Alisonmy

Re: Early retirement

Are you a member of a trades union? If so I would make your union rep your first port of call. They can be very helpful with the process and legal side of things. Failing that try the Citizens Advice Bureau again they are great with impartial legal advice and can provide information on the " process" side of things. Best of luck
Chris61

Hi Pam , I don't mind you sticking your oar in at all! Thank you so much for taking time out to
reply. I hear what your saying. I'm just worried that going back to work seems a long way off. On top of the things I've told you I also had a hysteroscopy in February and I'm going back for results next week . It seems never ending . Anyway hey ho ! Take care chris x x
Chris61

Hi Lucy thanks for that link I'm sure it will be helpful
Lucy_BCC

Hi Chris

Here's a link to the Macmillan 'Giving up work after a diagnosis of cancer' information which may help:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Workandcancer/Supportforemplo...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Chris61

Hi girls thank you for your replies . Dogmad I have heard how things have changed. And one of things I'd read was how your contract could cease. I'll investigated more.
Dogmad84

Hello, Chris61- I had chemo, rads and a lumpectomy nearly three years ago now.  I found the treatment left me unable to continue my job as a High School teacher, as the treatment took all my strength and tenacity, and I have never really regained it.

I looked into taking early retirement [I was 54 at the time], but was advised by my union that as I had 'only' had Primary cancer, the chances of it being granted were very slim- years ago, any stage cancer would have granted you early retirement without a quibble, but times have changed, and it is normally only those on stages three or four, who are likely to get it.

I was also warned that should I apply for early retirement, and get turned down, that the County Council who employed me, would very likely just sever my contract under the 'competence to work' clause.

In the end, I took voluntary redundancy, as the school was restructuring, and then I was able to take my pension at 55.   However, it really brought it home to me just how many employers are making it almost impossible to take early retirement through ill health- a reflection of the tough economic times we live in, I guess.

Please do not let this put you off, however, because your education authority may have less stringent rules to mine, but I thought I would just let you know my experience. All the best.

pam01

Hi Chris...I hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in! I am not a teacher but have taken ill health retirement from the NHS. Of course I have no idea what Occ health doctors within education will say....and no idea of your exact situation......but on the face of it you may be better seeking Occ Health advice first rather than directly going for ill health retirement......You are less than a year from a major life changing event...and it sounds like you are still undergoing investigations......on top of that you say you are suffering from depression......The obvious question is will you feel very differently with regard to retirement once your depression is treated and (hopefully ) you have been reassured with regard to your hip?......also since you will now be supported by disability legislation is it possible to alter to your job to suit you better?....I think occ health would want to explore these things with you rather than just saying "ok Ill sign you off for retirement!"......

2catlady

Hi,Chris, I'm a TA too 48years old. I'm going down the ill health retirement road. My union were rubbish and no help what so ever. I have MBC. You need to tell your head as she /he gets the ball rolling with HR then OH. My head has been wonderful and a great support getting things started for me. It does take a while and I'm still waiting for decision.
Good luck,Helen xxx
Chris61

Hi pat, thank you ever so much for your reply. Yes I am in the union, thank goodness. You know how it is, it's just a minefield! Never thought I'd be contemplating retirement. Then again never thought my life would have ventured down this colourful path. Thank you again . I'll let you know how I get on. Take care, chris
Trisha_51

Hi Chris61, hopefully you are a member of a trade union, they should be your first port of call for advice, if you are not a member then seriously consider joining, I think it will probably be Unison. Failing that the CAB may be able to give you advice, or McMillan Cancer. Good luck, take care Pat x
Chris61

Early retirement

Hi everyone, hope your doing ok. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've been off work since August after having WLE , full node clearance , rads and then tamoxifen . I now have lymphadema in surgery arm and breast. I wear a sleave and compression bra. The tamoxifen has left me depressed . I struggle with hip pain and I'm having an MRI I take anti depressants and sleeping tablets! The thing is I don't think I'm going to be able to go back to work. My job is very physical . I work as a teaching assistant in a special school and I am thinking of applying for early retirement due to my health. I'm 53 and I've been working there for 16 years . Is there anyone out there that can give me some guidance. How do I start the ball rolling. Do I tell my boss what I'm doing or wait to see if I can . Sorry going on. Take care x x