cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastenders

6 REPLIES 6
Lola65

Re: Eastenders

I think so far it has been done very well, from when she found the lump, through the diagnosis, and to telling her family, taking the genes test fearful of what may happen to her daughters and grandaughters, and looking at herself in the mirror trying to see what she would look like with no hair.  As for the chemo session I can't comment on the cold cap or the cannula because I didn't have either. I had a portacath. However, after my first session I went for a walk with hubby and dog, ate a lovely normal dinner and carried on as normal. I was never sick, never felt nauseous and for my first 3 or 4 cycles the fatigue never really hit me. We even managed 2 separate week long holidays in the UK during my chemo. My problem was the huge anxiety and stress about neutropenia and getting infections. It will be interesting to see how Carol copes with this.

Everyone reacts differently, and Carol is no exception. I say Well Done Eastenders (so far!)

KAM80

The thing that I thought was inaccurate was the cannula being in the crook of her arm (i.e on a joint). I remember when they were hunting for veins on me and I asked why they couldn't use the vein in the crook of my arm? The nurse said they never put cannulas in from the elbow or above in case of chemotherapy drugs leaking out and causing irreparable damage. Cannulas were always in the back of my hand, forearm or wrist.
The other thing I thought was slightly unrealistic was Carol sitting chatting and reading magazines once the cold cap had been put on. I wasn't brave enough to try the cold cap, but from the women I saw on the ward, they were huddled over, wrapped up and focused on getting through the first 20 mins or so - they certainly weren't chatting or reading. Carol didn't even look cold!
Aside from that, I'm following the storyline with interest and think it's good Eastenders are trying to raise awareness.
SJB

I haven't been looking at the spoilers, but if that's right, then I'm happy. I don't get nauseous myself, but I know a lot do. I am always very tired and slow after the chemo, although can't sleep because of the steroids. I'm always so glad to see the back of them!

The fatigue seems to hang around longer after each session. I am now on Day 11 post FEC#3 and I still can't walk more than a few hundred yards without needing to rest for several hours afterwards because my whole body aches.

Carol's treatment plan seems to be the same as mine - chemo first, then a mastectomy, then radiotherapy, then, I assume, reconstruction. I know my treatment plan takes me into next year, so I'm really curious to see if they'll drag this storyline out for a year or more, or whether she'll fast-track through it like they usually do with cancer storylines. Watching it like a hawk!

poemsgalore

Well, I have to disagree. I was 'sprightly' for 5 days after my treatments. Day 6 was awful, no 'chucking up' but just totally wiped out and not on this planet at all. I was that way until day 11. I have looked at spoilers (I am a bit of a fan) and yes, Carol is going to be feeling rough next week. Absolutely correct as far as I'm concerned.

poemsgalore

SJB

The detail they have gone into has been extremely accurate, and i guess they think they are raising awareness, but I am curious to see how this storyline goes, because she looked way too sprightly when she got home for my liking!

Will she be chucking up and confined to bed for the next few days, i wonder? If not, they might as well not bother.

I remember laughing at the way Tanya brushed her hair after chemo and a handful came out...but she never lost any more. Oh please! It was pitiful. they seemed to really be trying this time, until last night. 

Penny47

I think Eastenders is doing for cancer what they have done for single mothers, social workers, police officers, market traders....in other words, not a lot. 

carolihne

Eastenders

Hello Ladies,

i am not a great fan but just happend to catch a bit of Eastenders last night.  The bit i saw showed Carol going for her first blast of Chemo then coming home and cooking supper and then rushing off to the pub ( not for a drink but due to some family issue).  I am glad that Eastenders is covering this storyline but I certainly wouldn't have been able to lift my head off the pillow after my first chemo.  Yes some people can carry on as near normal but others can't and I think seeing Carol carrying on as normal somehow belittles those who can't.  Just my opinion

Caroline