Eating foods again that were banned during chemo

I finished chemo 5 weeks ago and am now half way through my radiotherapy treatment. I’m not sure when I can start to eat foods like prawns, pate and steaks again! Can anyone advise please?

I admire your self restraint and self control! One of the first things I did after my final chemo session was to tuck into pate on toast topped off with a runny egg!

As far as I know, so long as your immune system (white blood cell count) has recovered, there’s nothing to stop you eating those ‘risky’ foods. In the unlikely event that you were to contract food poisoning, you would now have the resources to fight it off (which is not the case during chemo hence the advice to avoid some foods).

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Nobody ever told me about the food thing - and I ate everything through chemo - mussels, prawns, pate, parma ham, unpasteurused cheese, sushi (no wonder i put on weight!) and was fine. You’d only have had a problem if you ate something contaminated and it gave you a nasty bug. I agree with Puffywhiteclouds. Go for it and enjoy!

No-one warned me off any foods either and I’ve eaten anything I wanted to during chemo, including the foods you mentioned, without any ill effects at all. I’m pretty sure your white cell count will have recovered by now in any case, so just go for it and eat what you like!

Sara

Thanks puffywhiteclouds, sandytoes and Sara for your advise. I know I’m probably being a bit over cautious but just wanted to be sure. I will go for it now. Sooooo looking forward to a runny egg, a medium rare steak and paella!!!

Thanks again!

Hey Bluesapphire, first of all I am just so proud of you getting over your chemo and still fighting and looking forward for you next. My friend also has breast cancer and as i know there was actually no problem eating those foods that you’re craving for. So you can eat them but I think you also have to refrain from too much chemical ingredients. As much as possible you have to eat all natural ingredients. So if you will put garlic, make it fresh garlic and not pweder garlic. That sort of things to remember is much better.

My chemo nurse told me that they used to ban ceRtain foods because of risks to health. However Reesearch has found that as you say, thEse foods don’t really cause us direct risk. So enjoys!

Hi I would look closely at your diet and eat foods that are going to help you build up your immune system not load it with chemicals. That means really up intake of vegetables particularly the green leafy type and carrots, ginger,garlic, which are great for healing. I would look at foods that de tox and green tea could help with that. Cancer loves an acidic environment in the body and sugar so is old try to avoid eating a diet rich in those foods so that you can let your body start to heal. They say “you are what you eat” and maybe we can have some control on our health.