cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ec chemo and cold cap any advice please

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Ec chemo and cold cap any advice please

Hi su didn't feel too bad after 3rd round felt sick for longer and now tiredness has set in . Had backache few days after as well and have noticed I ache more this time . In regards to hair I got some great scarves from annabandanna and feel more comfortable wearing these than my wig . Hope you feeling okay and not feeling to bad . Take care Michelle X. 

Highlighted

Thanks Blueash x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Sarah,

You hair will shed - alarmingly but don't give up too soon.

Highlighted

Thanks Su.
Fingers crossed it will work, but guess I won't know until I try it.
Sarah x

Really pleased the cap worked for you, your hair looks great. Hope you're feeling well now all chemo is done. Su xxx
Highlighted

Hi Mchelle

Thanks for your reply.  I've felt ok since second session on Tuesday but expect tiredness and foggy feeling to start soon.  It's manageable though and I've been lucky not to have had any sickness.  My hair too has started to fall out, started on day 16 after first chemo and then yesterday when I washed it, it came out by the handful.. Was really upset as it was the one thing I had hoped to keep.  The cap is very uncomfortable though so not going to continue with it.  I'm not brave enough to shave my head. I'm going to hairdresser next week for some advice.  I'll get some scarves and have my wig ready.  I know how self-conscious I will feel in scarves - silly I know but will have to get used to it.   Hope you're feeling better aftr this 3rd round.  At least only 1 more to go!   Good luck.  Su xxx

Highlighted

Hi Sarah

Good luck with the chemo and cold cap, it works for a lot of people but unfortunately I started losing hair on day 16 after first session and when I washed it (yesterday) 2 days after second chemo it came out by the handful. I'm giving up with the cap as it is obviously not working for me.  It's definately worth trying though.  I was offered a wig free through the NHS - it may be worth you asking.  I'll be thinking of you on the 8th. Su xxx

Highlighted

Hi Claire

Thanks so much for posting the pic. It's really helpful to see others experiences. I will def give the cold cap a go and see how I get on.
Thanks again
Sarah x
Highlighted

Hi su had my 3rd round of ec chemo last Thursday then 1 more to go . Unfortunately I didn't carry on with the cold cap after my 1st round of ec as I was having really bad headaches and my head was really really itchy ,and every time I put my hands through my hair or brushed it hair came out . So was brave and shaved hair off day of my 2nd round of chemo . Wearing scarves most of the time although I do have a wig but find it gives me a headache after a while . In regards to side effects I find that for the first 5 days after treatment I feel icky and need to carry on taking sickness tablets . Days 6 and 7 seem to be the worst for me hen I seem to pick up and then tiredness sets in fir the. Rest of the days till next treatment but feeling sick has stayed longer this time . Also getting hot flushes but think this is due to injection to surpress my ovaries as cancer is hormone receptive . Also been getting back ache as well but this seems to come and go. Hope this helps if want to know anything else feel free to ask . I also suffered with bad foggy head after first round of treatment but not so much this time . Michelle 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi, I have just read this thread and wanted to add my thoughts. I fiinished chemo four months ago and did the cold cap throughout. Yes it is hideously painful, adds extra time to chemo sessions BUT it does work!!

losing all my hair was the one thing I really could not have  coped with do I gritted my teeth and forced myself to stick it out! I took paracetamol which helped with the brain  freeze and the pain did  lessen after the first few minutes.

my hair did thin a lot but I never had to face being bald. I have  since had it cut short, but it's thick and full. I have a long fringe still so nobody would guess I had had chemo. I've already had it coloured and my onc says it's very healthy strong hair. 

Below is a picture of me the day of my last chemo showing the my hair before I had it cut. image.jpegI had FEC T. Excuse the haggard face! I look a lot better now!

i hope this helps

Claire xxx

Highlighted

Hi Su
I start 6 sessions of EC on 8th Sept and will give the cold cap a go. Is it worth me buying a wig beforehand do you think or would you advise waiting to see how much falls out first?
Thanks
Sarah xx
Highlighted

Hi Michelle

Just seen your post and that you're ahead of me with treatment.  I started my first of 3 rounds of ec chemo on 9 August then will have 3 rounds of docetaxel.  Side effects so far from first round of ec:  first 2 days after treatment have felt as normal, then started to feel tired and head felt foggy.  This lasted around 9 days the felt fully fit for the 3rd week up to the second session.  I am using the paxman cold cap but I feel to have a lot of hair loss (started 16 days after first treatment)  Of course I could be losing less than it would be without the cap.  I am finding it is so uncomfortable and if the loss continues and it starts to look obviously thinner I may give up on the cap.  The hair loss was a big thing for me and I really don't want to wear scarves.  I do have a wig and have worn twice to test it out.  It looks good (fooled my youngest when he came home from uni for a few days, he noticed it was different but thought I had been to the hairdressers) but think it could get itchy after a while. How are your doing and what side effects have you had?  Would appreciate any info. Thanks.  Su

Highlighted

Thanks Deb got a wig fitting next week prepared for loosing hair not sure if cold cap will be for me or not . Gonna do scarves as well . Did you get many side effects from the ec chemo . Michelle 

Highlighted

In 2011 I had 4 rounds of ec followed by 4 tax.  I tried the cold cap once - not sure the nurse fitted it correctly and the head pain from the cold was horrendous, plus you had to stay an extra hour and a half!  Anyway - within 2 weeks of the first ec my hair started coming out, by the time I had the second ec I was wearing a head scarf and decided not to do the cold cap again.  I know people who used it where is was reasonably sucessful - but it wasn't for me.  5 years on and my hair is long and thick as it was prior to chemo.

Deb

p.s.  I quite liked my wig - saved a fortune in shampoo and I was good to go in half the time!

Highlighted

Thanks sue X 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Michelle 1976

you might find this thread of help - and perhaps you can contact some of the ladies?

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Cold-Cap-did-it-help-keep-your-hair/m-p/720335...

Hugs Sue xxx

Highlighted

Ec chemo and cold cap any advice please

hi I am due to start 4 rounds of ec chemo next Thursday . Would love to here from people who have had ec and what side effects they had . And would also like to here from people who have used the cold cap and if it has worked or did you still loose your hair . Any tips appreciated in regards to chemo treatment . Michelle