Ec chemo and cold cap any advice please

hi I am due to start 4 rounds of ec chemo next Thursday . Would love to here from people who have had ec and what side effects they had . And would also like to here from people who have used the cold cap and if it has worked or did you still loose your hair . Any tips appreciated in regards to chemo treatment . Michelle 

Hi Michelle 1976

you might find this thread of help - and perhaps you can contact some of the ladies?

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Cold-Cap-did-it-help-keep-your-hair/m-p/720335#U720335

Hugs Sue xxx

In 2011 I had 4 rounds of ec followed by 4 tax.  I tried the cold cap once - not sure the nurse fitted it correctly and the head pain from the cold was horrendous, plus you had to stay an extra hour and a half!  Anyway - within 2 weeks of the first ec my hair started coming out, by the time I had the second ec I was wearing a head scarf and decided not to do the cold cap again.  I know people who used it where is was reasonably sucessful - but it wasn’t for me.  5 years on and my hair is long and thick as it was prior to chemo.

Deb

p.s.  I quite liked my wig - saved a fortune in shampoo and I was good to go in half the time!

Hi Michelle

Just seen your post and that you’re ahead of me with treatment.  I started my first of 3 rounds of ec chemo on 9 August then will have 3 rounds of docetaxel.  Side effects so far from first round of ec:  first 2 days after treatment have felt as normal, then started to feel tired and head felt foggy.  This lasted around 9 days the felt fully fit for the 3rd week up to the second session.  I am using the paxman cold cap but I feel to have a lot of hair loss (started 16 days after first treatment)  Of course I could be losing less than it would be without the cap.  I am finding it is so uncomfortable and if the loss continues and it starts to look obviously thinner I may give up on the cap.  The hair loss was a big thing for me and I really don’t want to wear scarves.  I do have a wig and have worn twice to test it out.  It looks good (fooled my youngest when he came home from uni for a few days, he noticed it was different but thought I had been to the hairdressers) but think it could get itchy after a while. How are your doing and what side effects have you had?  Would appreciate any info. Thanks.  Su

Hi Su
I start 6 sessions of EC on 8th Sept and will give the cold cap a go. Is it worth me buying a wig beforehand do you think or would you advise waiting to see how much falls out first?
Thanks
Sarah xx

Hi Claire

Thanks so much for posting the pic. It’s really helpful to see others experiences. I will def give the cold cap a go and see how I get on.
Thanks again
Sarah x

Thanks Blueash x