Eczema or Paget's, that is the question?

I am just sending a few feelers out there to see if there are any ladies who have had a similar experience to me. I was initially advised that I had nothing more than a simple case of breast eczema, discharged and told that everything was fine. I left hospital without any education, word of warning or cautionary advice so when I experienced further problems I did not even worry. I didn’t even rush back to the Doctor’s. I knew (felt) that I had been correctly diagnosed. Therefore, it was particulary shocking several months later to be told that in actual fact I had Paget’s Disease with underlying DCIS. In the interim months, the rogue cells must have been having a field day and decided to go forth and multiply at breakneck speed! I realise that Paget’s Disease is rare and can be difficult to diagnose but I am dumbfounded that I was dismissed so quickly and easily and feel that we need better, more accurate and speedy diagnosis to this disease which is clearly telling the female form that something is not quite right. Any thoughts or comments out there??? xxx    

Hi Bobbity Boo

My lump was initially confined to my nipple, and I was told it was excema and to put some Nivea cream on it and it would go away,or just wear a bra with more cotton in. Eventually, after 2 and a half years they finally did a biopsy and I was diagnosed with IDC. 

My feeling is that they struggle with rare diagnses like Pagets Disease, and if your case isn’t a text book one they are more likely to dismiss it. I was also told that they didn’t want to do a biopsy as it would require an open procedure, rather than a fine needle or punch.

I understand why the media sees cases like Angelina Jolie’s double mastectomy as good for raising awareness, but I wonder if, with the increased numbers in women coming forward with concerns that this brings, the doctors are more likely to dismiss genuine problems?

I hope that you now get the proper treatment and wish you all the best :slight_smile:

Emxx