Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of taxotere

36 REPLIES 36
T

Re: Effects of taxotere

Morning,

Thanks Kirsty, just got back home after an unexecpted stay in hospital since monday with an injection around the biopsy scar - which i had done back in May!! all very strange and they don't understand why this has happened - it was sooooo painful, they tried to drain the infection but couldn't get it all out. On antibiotics to try and clear it, other wise they will have to go back in and surgically drain it:-/ not looking foward to that prospect! Other downside is it will affect my chemo (2nd Taxotere) next week as it will have be put back for a while!!!

Hair has started to fall out now and even though you expect it and KNOW it's going to happen it's still so emotional - i was in hospital when is happened as I tried a shower to freshen up and it came out in clumps:-( So all in all not the best week - sorry to unload, rant over x

On the plus side my family have been great and really bonded (my husband can come across as a bit task master and go on a bit) and my daughter is feeing better about my hair - i think maybe because i put on a brave face although she is still going away for a couple of weeks but i am pleased she will be distracted x

Hope you're all managing with whatever this has thrown at you in mind and body x

Big hugs x

Kirstyleo

Hi T,

Thanks for the support that's very kind, I'm back in work the last two weeks which is great, bit of normality and now I know what to expect from the T now it feels less stressful.

Yes it must be a side effect, all these weird things we have to deal with each time, in conjunciton with our own feelings and everyoine elses.  Yes I think the hairloss is the most emotional part of the treatement I found it hard too, lots of tears. I gradually went shorter and shorter, cried at the hairdressers each time and they were great about it. Then got it shaved once it started to fall out rapidly as the weight from it made my head very itchy and sore.  I had a bloody good cry but was relieved to not see if coming out on the pillow etc.  It is difficult for chidlren to see their parents poorly they're not used to it, we are normally their protectors.  I wear hard scarves and little beanies that I bought on amazon, I would suggest getting a few in colours you like I didn't prepare myself enough for that bit at first but have a few now, they also keep your head warm on cooler days.  Also practice with tying scarves if you haven't already.

My son is 8 and initially didn't want his friends to see me without a scarf etc, now he doesn't care at all and is very sweet and strokes my head now as there is some fine fluffy hair there. 🙂

Is there someone that you can get to be with you to help with the hairloss and maybe take you if you need to have it cut?

Best of luck this weekend and big hugs.

xx

T

Morning all,

Thanks for posting advise on what has worked for you with side effect to Tax - all so helpful x

Kirsty - sorry to hear you struggled more with anxiety, it's hard enough so I hope you're feeling better. Also I have too have woken with itchy, red pimples over my chest/neck, like spots but more puffy!!!! so i am thinking it must be a side effect!

Dreading next week when I hit day12-14 to see how much hair I lose - my daugher (16) is dreading it more than me becuase she is worried by my reaction and has even tried to arrange going away to her grandparents in Devon!! Not sure how that makes me feel, I don't want to rub her face in it and I thought i had been dealing with everything really well so far, with a sense of humour- considering and totally expect to lose my hair - it's just not knowing! i have promised I will wear headscarves etc and hope to pick up a wig soon:-/

Hope you all manage a good day without too much heartburn and other horrible feelings x

Big hugs x

Kirstyleo

Hi all,

Thanks for the all the information about the symptoms, it's reassuring I am one week on from my frist T having completed three FEC which I was very affected by.  T has been very different, symptoms didn't kick-in for about three days then had the muscles aches, headaches etc, Nurse prescribed some sleeping tablets as I was having anxiety and insomnia, they helped massively.

The one symptom that I can't see anyone else having is that about a week after chemo I get inflamed cheeks and then I break-out in small pimples across the cheeks almost like an acne, has anyone else had that symptom???

I have also found that this treament has left me much more fatigued or that could be the accumulation of having now had 4 treatments.

Best of luck to everyone.

Kirstyx

T

Morning Ladies,

It's so inspiring reading all your posts - all so similar, yet different emotinally and physically. I find it so reassuring to know we are not alone x 

I just wondered if anyone has been treated with Taxotere for the 6 courses as I reacted to the FEC so they won't risk it agian - or so they say for now anyway. i can't seem to find anyone who has done it this way and curioius of the side effects etc..especially if the cold cap made any difference.

Big hugs Txx

Jo_W

Thanks Joey . Got a good friend coming with me so that is good (but they are not allowed in chemo suite as not enough room which is a shame). Will keep in touch and have joined FB group xx

Joeyv

Good luck Jo. It will be all over before you realise

Joey x
Jo_W

Hi gals. I start first dose of tax tomorrow afternoon and am going to try the cold cap. If I can hack it then fine but if it's too awful I won't struggle as I know it does grow back again . Best of luck to all still going through chemo and it's many And varied side effects. Jo x

Joeyv

Hi sjb

I don't have a picc but found the fec really cold up my arm with the iv and had to have hot packs on my arm. In comparison I found the tax not at all cold in my arm.

Good luck with your 3 x tax. I just had my last one on Friday and can't believe how quickly it has been completed

Joeyv
SJB

I've just completed three doses of FEC last Wednesday and in two weeks' time, move on to 3 doses of doxetaxol, so I was browsing the forum for info.

I didn't bother with the cold cap and shaved my hair off when it started shedding in January. I have a lovely wig and some nice hats and bandanas so don't mind being bald but don't ever go out with a bald head. It has to be covered with something! My eyelashes are thin now, but brows are good. Rest of body is hit and miss. I kind of wish it had all just come out so I was smooth!

I've bought some dark nail varnish and intend to use it. I don't want my nails to drop off if I can help it.

Is it really cold having the doxetaxol? I have a PICC so it will feed straight round to my chest...I always find the chemo ward so hot. Do I need to layer up? I hadn't considered this.

I haven't suffered any sickness with the FEC so hoping to stay lucky, but ready for the worst. My worst side effects so far have all been in the mouth, but every time anything has caused me pain or discomfort, my GP has been very quick to prescribe something.

Roll on April 2nd - the date of my final chemo session!

Joeyv

Oh forgot to say that the ladies that suffered with bad aches had their doses reduced the next cycle so don't suffer in silence.

Hope it doesn't come to that for you

Joey
Joeyv

Hi Jo

There have been very different reactions to the tax. I am Pleased to say that so far I have got off lightly. My 3rd tax on fec-t was today so my last chemo which feels great.

What I would say is if you feel Rough tell you team straight away so they can do something to help. Talk things through if you are concerned.

Things to note:

I found indigestion was bad for me. If you get this don't suffer in silence get something prescribed it took it away.

On tax I did not really have constipation but did get diarrhoea about day 5 on my first tax so watch out for that. Just in case.

First sign of aches take paracetamol and ibruprofen alternate every 2 hrs up to max dose of each. If the pain is too bad get codine or co codamol prescribed from the unit or gp

Pain you nails dark colour and keep your fingers well moisturised.

Get a soft bristled toothbrush for each cycle and get some mouthwash use twice daily. I use oraldene as recommended by my dentist but I realised it has alcohol in it which is not recommended.

First sign of constipation deal with it. If your Nola cycle is off take senna and if it doesn't work get something prescribed but watch out for poss diarrhoea.

I hope I have not frightened you but that this is of some help

Take care

Joey
Jo_W

Hi. Yes I think that extra knowledge isn't always a good thing. I had FEC before and now T so a new range of nasty side effects to cope with. How are you doing now? Have you returned to good health ? I feel a bit scared really but it's got to be done. Take care Jo xx

Tolliebelle

Hi jo I had chemo 2 years ago had Epi . Cmf have just had 6 tax last year it is hard doing it again!!and I think it is worse in some ways as you know a bit more!! But I got through it and you will too. Good luck xxxxx

Jo_W

Hi Tracy, I certainly hope so. We need all the good luck available! Hope the T is not too gruelling . I am not looking forward to feeling ill I must say but want to get started now. Still got problems with large amount of fluid on chest though so not sure if that will have to resolve a bit first. All best wishes Jo xx

Tracy1967

Another thumbs up for the cold cap. I'm on FEC 3 and still have an even covering of hair but very thin ( lost about 2/3rds of hair bur shedding is minimal now). This has certainly helped me mentally, it allows me to feel normal at home with kids and family. I do wear a wig when going out which I hate ( feels like I'm constantly wearing a hat) and by cold capping hopefully I'll have less hair to grow back when I finish in March. Fingers crossed T doesn't take the remaining hair, I've read on a few posts that hair sometimes starts to grow on T, hope I'm one of them 😀

Good luck with your treatment and decision making.

Love and positive thoughts

Tracy XXX
Jo_W

Thanks Jules and best of luck for your three doses of T. Not sure when I'm starting as yet- probably next week . Will see if I can cope with the cold cap then if you think it has helped. Take care Jo x

RacingJules

Hi Jo

I have completed 3 x FEC and have 3 x T to go. I have been using the cold cap and have lost about three quarters of my hair but thankfully quite evenly which means I can "get away with it" amongst friends and family. It has made a massive difference to me to keep some hair as psychologically, that was always the worst part for me. 

I am going to continue with the cold cap during the T part of the treatment as the nurses have said it will help when my own hair starts to regrow. 

Best of luck 🙂

Jules x 

Jo_W

Ho lols. Sorry I didn't reply before but computer was out of action. Thanks for your advice. Having 'just' T now not FEC so fingers crossed for a smooth crossing. Best of luck Jo xx

Jo_W

Thanks Beatrice . I hope so too. Due to start some time next week I think. Jo x

Jo_W

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom. I now have seen the oncologist who has said that I will be having just taxotere, not FEC as well so hoping that will reduce some of the sickness.
Still not sure whether to use cold cap- your experience sounds pretty horrible. Did you loose much hair in the end?. I may try it for the first one and see if I can hack it.
Good luck and best wishes for your recovery. Jo x

Joeyv

Hi Jo

Regarding the cold cap I was just the same as you didn't want to look like I had cancer. I found the cold difficult for the first 10-15 mins when my eyes went heavy. I have taken my mother in law with me each cycle as she chats and chatting got me through that initial period after that it was fine until my body temp got cold and I started shaking. I found the fec worse as cold cap was. 3 hrs 15 where tax is 2 hr 15. My recommendations would be to wear an extra layer. I wear a shorts sleeved t shirt a thin fleece body warmer and a reasonable thick fleece (as long as you can pusone arm up). I also found a scarf helpful and have taken a plug in warm pad to put under my body warmer during treatment. I take a flask of coffee and drink this for the first half hour or so. All sounds a bit odd I know but it all helped. The cold cap really was not that bad for me and other friends on the forum who have used it have had much better results than me. That said as noted in my previous post I am still glad I did it and would do it again.

Hope this helps

Joey
Beatrice13

Hi Jo

I too am sorry that you're returning to chemo after a good period of remission. Whatever the side effects I hope it helps you.

I had 4x FEC and 4 x Tax. The FEC was easier, I didn't get sickness and felt unwell for up to 4 days and then gradually picked up. Hair loss was definitely down to FEC and my oncologist doesn't agree with cold cap as he believes it dilutes the treatment so it wasn't an option for me. Also I believe the hair loss, or eyelashes and brows are individual just like the various side effects. Some will lose all and others get to keep their lashes and brows.

For me TAX was not so good. The aches and muscle weakness kicked in first together with horrible taste - everything tasted salty/sour and after each treatment I lost up to 12 pounds which went back on once I could cope with food again. I found the bone and muscle pain so debilitating that my oncologist reduced the dose for the last 2 treatments but others around me didn't have anywhere near the level of pain I was experiencing. So you can read everyone's posts and have a very different experience. Like Lols my last treatment at the end of November gave me peripheral neuropathy which I find most frustrating but a lady I met at the support group last night told me hers is reducing and feeling more comfortable and she finished TAX at the beginning of October. So there is hope.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how long the TAX stays in the system given I still have joint and muscle aches or do I blame the Anastrazole which I started on Boxing Day which also produces joint pain?

Dark nail polish is supposed to help but I started using it too late. I've lost a toe nail and my other nails are ridged and discoloured but they are one of my strong features in 'normal' life so perhaps they'll hold out.

Hopefully you will sail through with little or no s/e's - I truly hope so.

I really hope you cope well.

Beatrice x

Lols

Hi jo, I've just finished 6 courses of TAC so t everytime for me!!
My hair started coming out on day 18 of first chemo so I shaved it all off since then I still look like its just shaved very close to my hard ive no bald patch but it never grew either. I'm six weeks post last chemo and have still got my eyelashes and eyebrows I think my eyebrows are less hairy ( so to speak) but they look ok.
My biggest problem ( caused my doxetaxol ) according to onc is the peripheral neuropathy to hands and feet, at first this causes tingling then I had quite a lot of pain and looks like you've caught hand or foot in door as nails can go purple, I'm left with a numbness to feet and some pain , no nail loss but some do. The tdoxetaxal was always given over an hour iv and the bag was covered as it is light sensitive. No one ever told me to wear dark nail varnish but I often did. I also bought evonail ( not cheap) got it on line it needs applying daily and wards off uv rays I think seemed to work but il never know if I'd have been ok otherwise, but nails on hands all fine.
I had terrible muscle ache on chemo all part ot the lovely t and it was like my legs and arms were less flexible I was offered tramadol but just took paracetamol and brufen when it was really bad. To be honest I did a lot of walking and I think it
really helped with the muscle and joint aches. It also helped me mentally as nine of this is easy.
I never really felt sick but had some indigestion. Plus got out of breath quickly when going upstairs etc which really upset me as I'm normally quite fit.
It's only looking back and also feeling physically better each day that I can see just how much the chemo affected me physically, but if it can do all that to us just think what it's doing to the cancer cells. My onc said that its the platinum chemo he wouldn't give to people over 50 or petiole bot physically or mentally strong, so deep breath and go for it if I can get there anyone can. It's def cumulative I was very tired before last one so loads of rest recommended and make sure you have meds for oral thrush it's a pretty safe bet youl get it , plus only now taste returning. Love the chapter in our lives not the whole book, so sorry your here again, good luck xx
Jo_W

Dear Ladies

have read all the recent posts on FEC and Tax and it does help to get a kind of idea about what lies in store.

I had FEC 4 years ago and didn't use the cold cap then. I lost all of my hair but never my eyelashes (i didn't wear mascara to save them as much as possible). I now have to have chemo again -  most likely FEC and now T. Like everyone else , I've been told that T is much harder on the body in terms of side effects. someone has told me about hand and feet coolers. Does anyone know about these and if they are effective? I will get some broad beans in just in case!

This time round I think i will try the cold cap as I just can't face losing all my hair once again. It sounds as if it is only partially successful but prehaps enough to warrant the pain of having it on during treatment. I hate the cold so I may not be able to stand it but want to give it a chance. I know it is only hair but it is a very visible symbol of cancer and it can get to you when you are very debilitated by all the other effects. I know I have to have this treatment as I've been told that my cancer is now 'aggressive' but I still feel very apprehensive about going through it all again.

Any tips and do's and don'ts would be gratefully received. I am also on FB (Jo Williams) if anyone wants to correspond to help pass the time. I did this last time with a lady in Cornwall (i'm in Leicester) and it was helpful.

many thanks and good luck for your recovery. This is only a chapter of our lives, not the whole book.

Jo 

RacingJules

Dear Joey 

Many thanks for your helpful post - it's really reassuring. I think it's just the getting started and trying to be in control that is important!  

Lucy - thank you so much - that's helpful. 

Best wishes, 

Jules x 

Lucy_BCC

Hi RacingJules, welcome to the BCC forums

You may find the following link to the BCC 'I am having treatments' pages helpful for further support ideas and information :

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campa...

Our helpliners are also on hand weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support so please feel to call

Take care
Lucy BCC

Joeyv

Dear FJ & Jules

I asked my ladies about the nails and the majority had said that they had not done anything specific apart from the dak nail varnish and keeping their hands well moisturised including cuticle oil.  One lady said that in France they have cold gloves as well as cold cap and a french lady she sees puts her hands in bags of frozen broad beans, aparently peas defrost too quickly.  

It may be that the nail issues come later on but I don't think I could face cold hands as well as a cold head!

I had my 2nd tax on friday and it is very different to fec, I was really lucky on fec as I did not have any nausea and only really suffered with indigestion and constipation as well as fatigue.  I think I have been lucky on Tax it appears to hit some ladies hard and their doses have been reduced but some others have been ok.  

The main symptoms have been:

Cycle 1 thought I was constipated on day 4 so took senna, only to find I then had diahorea on day 5-7, this cycle I have not taken any senna which on fec I took from day 1 for about 5 days, have not had any problems and wondering if the diahorea will hit soon (am day 6 today).  

Mouth feels awful, like my tongue is double its normal size and no taste buds, I have used oraldene mouthwash everyday since starting chemo and I have been lucky not to have any mouth ulcers, I did have a sore tongue last cycle but it cleared up ok.  I noted that thrush was a big problem so keep an eye on that and get some meds if needed.  

Bit achy, last cycle I had what felt like swolen glands in my neck and this has come on again today but to be honest it is fine and a couple of paracetamols or ibruprofen seems to be ok.  I did worry before the first tax about the aches and feeling like I had been hit by a bus over xmas (my chemo was 20th dec) so my onc prescribed me with Codine but I have not needed it, you might want to get something like that too just in case.

I think it is easy to worry about aches and pains and what they might be, chemo is hard on our bodies and sometimes I think we think too much about the side effects but I wanted to tell you about what I have had so you have all the facts.

I have been cold capping and have lost quite a lot of hair on the top of my head, although I have decided to persevere as I am able to cover up the bald patch with a scarf.  I felt really low about the hair loss as although I knew the cold cap might not work I had hoped for better results.  I got a lot of suppport from the caring hair studio where they kept reminding me that if you have some hair left regrowth is quicker, once the hair starts growing in between what is left it thickens out quickly.  I decided to persevere and I am really glad I did as I would definately be bald by now.  I am now considering getting a wig for my return to work just to look a bit more normal as I am finding my hair is a constant mess, it is going really grey as I am unable to dye it and can't style it, it has always been unruly.

I was told that the Tax would not be as harsh on my hair but that I needed to use the cold cap or would loose it all with Tax.  Some reports are that hair often regrows during tax.  One of the nurses said that as I had kept my eye brows and lashes on fec they would stay.  However on day 6 of 2nd tax today I have found that I have lost quite a bit more hair over the last week from my head (although I still have enough) and my eyelashes have been thinning as have my eye brows.  My eyebrows have always been quite bushy and dark and although it is noticable to me I am sure they would still be considered as there!  As my last chemo is on 31st Jan they should start growing back mid to late feb so I am not so worried about them going now as I would have been at the start of chemo.  I really don't think there is much you can do about it I am afraid.  

Hope this helps and good luck

Joey

RacingJules

Dear All,

Hello - I am new to the Forum and have had 2 x  FEC (one to go). I am due to start 3 x Taxotere in February once the final FEC is done. 

Three quarters of my hair has gone ( I did use the cold cap for the first two FEC) but no loss of eyelashes so far. Could anyone give me some suggestions with regards eyelash loss - is this likely to happen more on the Taxotere than the FEC? 

Also - is there anything to help slow down eyelash loss or do I just need to consider false ones? 

Many thanks - your posts are so inspiring and helpful in getting through treatments. 

Jules x 

Joeyv

Hi fj

I have just had my 2nd tax after 3 x fec. Now on day 4. I did not have any problems with my nails on the last cycle and apart from painting them dark did not do anything else to avoid issues. We have an October forum and I will ask my ladies if they have any advice for you

Joey
FJ

Hi All,

I am due to start Taxotere this week after finishing 3 rounds of Fec.

Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to try and minimise nail problems?

Saw a lady the other day with issues with her nails, looked really sore and were lifting badly.

I have read that dark nail polish stops the light getting to the cuticles but my nurse said that was just to hide the dark lines that appear.

Also has anyone tried putting their hands in iced water during treatment, this is suggested in the Taxotere leaflet.

Any suggestions greatly received!

Helm

Hi Julie, I would say if you can comfortably put up with cold cap it might be worth it. My experience however was that it also made me feel sick (smell of cap and conditioner mainly) when on FEC , and it prologed the stay time at the clinic so I figured I'd rather loose some hair than go through that each week. I don't know if anyone has not lost any hair whilst using cold cap on docatexel (T) - there may be some other old threads in the forum. I think it's a case of weighing up how much you think hair loss is of an issue compared to using cold cap and how it makes you feel.

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment:)

Butterfly318

Morning Ladies.

Well done for getting through your 3 Fecs and onto Taxol.. For those of you who have managed to hang on to your hair, i would say stick with the Cold Cap.  It is generally the Fec that results in the most hair loss.   Hair on my head started to grow back during Taxol (only fine / fluffy) but all other hair came out gradually. Taxol does seem to cause the bone / joint pain but as Whiskers says lots of fluids and take pain killers before you go as well as all the anti sickness they prescribe. 

I already had Semi permanent Make up eyebrows and used stick on eyelashes (only for special occasions when i was up to it) which kept some sense of normality.  No leg waxing for 6 months (silver lining to the cloud).  Other areas lacking hair took a bit of getting used.

After all my treatment i attended a Look Good Feel Better morning and in reality i could have done with that mid Chemo so if you haven't been girls i would highly recommend it.  It is a Morning or Afternoon with lovely ladies, Beautician advising on colour and drawing in eyebrows etc and a lovely goody bag to experiment with (lovely cleanser / toner / make up and perfume) which we got to bring home.

Hope the rest of your treatments go well and Take Care.  Gilly x

Joeyv

Hi Julie and whiskers

I am due to have my first tax tomorrow after 3 fec. Just wondered if you could give me an update on your cold cap experience and hAir loss. I too have lost a lot of hair and have a bald spot on top (quite large). I found the cold cap really cold last time I assume it is having less hair! Was also wondering whether I will now loose my eyebrows and lashes as so far they have not been affected by fec.

Thanks in advance

Joeyv
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi i am doing first one of t and it is vile. I decided to have hair blade d. On number one of fec. They said cap was painful and didn't work.. The worst thing at min is pain in joints awful. On so many drugs. Two to go . Have to make it. Throw the cap away and hit the scarves. Mo
whiskers2013

Hi Julie I am on day 3 of T after having 3 Fec. I  have used the cold cap from day one and noticed alot of hairloss round Fec 2 but it has slowed down considerably.  I would say I have lost about 60% but am determined to carry on as 40% left is better than 0 for me. I was also told that hairloss is alot less on T and also you do not have to wear it as long as you do on the Fec which makes a big difference.  Bit of a backwards bonus but the coldcap for me actually took my mind off the T when it was going through as it was so bloody cold compared to last time and did make me feel sick. I would dose up on painkillers first hand and have plenty warm drinks on hand.

Good luck with the T and let us know how yo6 get on. So far for me not to bad 😄

Julie_L

Effects of taxotere

Hi I have completed 3 lots of fec using the cold cap and due to start my 3 lots of T next week which having read about the side effects I'm really worried about . My hair loss hasn't been too bad but I've now got a few bald patches at the top due i think not wearing the cap strap on the last treatment as the cold cap on my 2nd treatment was so bad I felt sick for the whole 4 hours. I am now trying to decide whether to continue with the cold cap and wondered if anyone had any experience of cold cap and taxotere and whether I'm likely to lose lots of hair even with using the cold cap?