362877posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarking on an adventure, you are welcome to tag along

Highlighted

Embarking on an adventure, you are welcome to tag along

Like all adventurers, I am going into the unknown with some apprehension next week. However, I happy to have met some wonderful people here, during my preparation, since March 2010. I have found out who my real friends are and I am overwhelmed by the love I am surrounded by. Like an adventurer I am ready to push myself to the limit of my capabilities when necessary, and I know it won't be a bed of roses. however when I reach my destination after many months, I hope to arrive triumphant, and a better person.

Don't get my wrong, I have been on another adventure in 2003, so I know a little of what is entailed and I have no illusions, but I thought an up beat thread of discovery would be interesting.

This adventure is peppered with other changes in my life, as before I knew this adventure was about to start, I had plans for other things which I have decided not to cancel.

At the moment my garden is strewn with chopped down trees, so I hope "the man" will come and tidy every thing away soon (as he promised). I hope he is not a "cowboy" tree feller.

In June I am having a completely new kitchen, from top to bottom. The old one is going to be ripped out and I will have to "camp" in my own home. Luckily I have some friends who will help me pack up all the stuff, but we don't have a date fixed yet.

My adventure will also be planned around a special holiday (leaving 25th July for 2 weeks)

So if your adventure is starting too, or you would like to help me on mine I will be very happy. I am sure there will be a lot to discover and share.

All the best to one and all, Maria

PS check my profile for the more boring details of my adventure

4,151 REPLIES 4,151
Highlighted

This thread has helped us all over the last 2 years and I'm pleased to say that we are all still in contact via facebook. As saffron says we are having a meet up next week and it's great to see what great friendships we have built up together xxx

Highlighted

Yes the thread has 'disappeared' as such but most of the lovely ladies including maria who set it up are still in regular contact via facebook and we do face to face meets. (in fact one next Monday!) I agree the thread helped me considerably to get through all the the horrid stuff over the last two years. xx

Highlighted

This thread seems to have vanished along with the "dark dark wood" thread - which, in my opinion is a shame as both helped many of us deal with our own adventures. I personally don't think that facebook would have given me the support that I craved for when I needed it.

Highlighted

We have all been very negligent with this thread as fb seems to have taken over. Not been on this site for a while and just visiting tonight but hoping everyone who isn't on facebook are doing well.

Will try to visit more often

K xx

Highlighted

Jackie, Anne is now on fb! x

Highlighted

Hi Anne Sandra posted on FB and said you were having a scary time.Not a lot I can say to take that away for you. Several of us have had mammos and then u/s. (Mine was in Dec) and turned out to be scar tissue. It was scary as anniversary of dx and all that too. Holding hands tightly and loads of (((Hugs))))Come and find us on FB J xxx

Highlighted

OK Anne xxx

Highlighted

Sandra will send you a PM on fb

Highlighted

Gosh how strange l happened to pop on here! met up with some of the ladies today, and l suppose you all came to mind!!
Hope anyone reading this is keeping well. Yes we are on fb now, think there are about 70+ so if anyone want to join you are more than welcome.

Wendy Happy New Year to you and thank you for the thoughts! hope you are well xxx

Anne, I know a big worry, but there are quite a few ladies on fb that have had a ultra scan after a mammo. l had a ultra scan last year, after a 'new' bs decided a scar on my other breast didn't feel quite right! thankfuly it was, also thankful she was concerned enough to check it out, just a constant worry. why don't you come back to fb? you know where we are! there if you need us xxx

We all seem to be coming up to mammo's got mine 31st! not looking forward to it, but good they are keeping an eye on us!!

Anne, you know they are being over cautious! and we wouldn't have it any other way, so stay positive,l know easy to say xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Saffron I've been reading the boards for the last few hours and see it is quite common..good luck with your mammo too.
Hope everyone on here is fine and well x

Highlighted

big hugs to you I can imagine how worried you are - however I do know that it is quite common for us high risk ladies to be asked for a ultra sound as they are really thorough I do hope everything is ok for you. I have my 2nd year mammo on Monday which I must admit am dreading it seems to bring it all back and as it is the 'anniversay' month of diagnosis it makes it even more frightening - let us know how you get on xxx

Highlighted

I need help ..just had my mammo and have to go for ultrasounds as well and am really scared

Highlighted

Best wishes to you too.
Let's hope 2012 brings us the sort of challenges we can handle???
Nothing too tricky!
Just loads of positive and enjoyable events to build up our 'normal lives again. Good luck to us all.

Do hope you are keeping well and surviving any anniversaries.

Wxx

Highlighted

Hi Wendy I had wondered how you were. See our Vickie has been doing her thread monitoring, thanks V.I will be sure to pass on your messages to mutual friends esp Maria and Sandra.I rarely come on here but someone told me they had PMd me and just started to have a wander, as you do.Wishing you well for 2012. Love J xx

Highlighted

How lovely to find you all!
Special good wishes for 2012 to you all on here, maybe only one or two but it's good to hear from you!
Don't know where Facebook land is so please pass on my best to all your other pals there especially Maria and Sandra.

Wendy xx

Highlighted

I think we have moved to facebook lol... but yes happy new year to the embarking ladies xxxx

Highlighted

Uh, long time no see, embarking ladies WHERE ARE YOU, gosh, there is an echo for sure!

Highlighted

Happy new year fellow adventurers. Please forgive my scruffy clothes, its taken me hours to clean the cobwebs off this dusty old thread x

Highlighted

Anne are you around? Can't see you and was just a bit worried if you're ok?

(((hugs))) to all - off to get some food now I've fed this thread...

Nell xxx

Highlighted

lol 🙂

Highlighted

Poor thread, languishing on page 492 because it's owners went on holiday to Facebook and never came back to feed it.

Highlighted

Morning ladies,

Sandra I can't see Sue's ring!

Not been on here for a while; went on holiday then straight back to work and doing four full days now so finding it difficult cartching up with the house, family, friends, FB and here! and energy levels still low - Good job I'm not a man eehh useless at multi-tasking aren't they lol!

Anyway, for those of you reading "Hello"

(((Hugs))) to all, and extra ((((hugs)))) ones up for grabs for those that need them,

Nell xxx

Edit = PS Sandra, good news for your results 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, Just thought l would pop on and show you a preview of the 'ring' Yes managed to sneak a photo of Sue's Engagement ring, l am sure Sue will come on and show you the real thing, but for now...

Nell Great news from the onc. now have a lovely holiday!!

Gill, hope that tooth of yours is soon sorted!
Yes think positive, you/we no longer have cancer! easy for them to say!!
It will take time, everyone needs to get through it in their own way, so if you need to come on here or fb then do so. and yes Gill the cancer has gone, the hair is growing, you are having lots of holidays, keep taking the tablets and all is well with the world!!

Love and Hugs to everyone posting or not posting, hope you are all getting on with your lives, and getting some well deserved happiness from life!!
xxx

PS.Got the appointment through for a scan to see what is going on in my stomach.......9th September

PPS. Seeing the PS at the Royal Free on 25th August, Reconstruction!

Scared on both counts!!!

Highlighted

Hello ladies,
Sorry, haven't been on here for ages.
I've been told to think positive and to believe that I no longer have any cancer in my body. Thought that not going on Facebook or coming on here would help but it's not so easy. Have been sneaking back on here as I want to know how you all are and what you are all up to!!
Definitely got withdrawal symptoms.
Think I should have been thinking positive about my wisdom tooth as it's flared up and I'm waiting on a hospital referral to have it taken out 😞 I hate the dentist!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will take me a while to catch up so bear with me.
Love to all and hope you have a great weekend.
Gill xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies, Thanks for all your well wishes re my six month appointment and having a 'clear' chest xray - must admit was getting a bit worried and was actullay dreading going to see my onc! Had a few tears this morning too; not done that for a long time!
Still struggling breathing so guess it must be a chest infection that taking it's time cos had it three weeks now! At least that little nagging fear has gone away - Blooming BC sends you all in a tiz doesn't it!

Love & Hugs, Nell xxx

Highlighted

Sandra, yes you sent me the e-mail just after we had our men do stupid things episode. very dishy tree men finished the job off today. had forgotten what a sunny kitchen I have ! unfortunatly, the window is far dirtier than I thought! time to get off your backside and get those dogs walked.

Carol

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
Carol, l think l sent you that email, Nell was it the one of the men doing stupid things, balancing on ladders and so on!! (no change there then)
Hope your son has a lovely birthday, and enjoys his stay in Bornemouth with our Kanga!
Heather you be where you want to be!

I should be out walking the dogs, not going to get anywhere sitting!!
Have a lovely day, the sun is out, the sky is blue!
xxx

Highlighted

Nell, what's that e-mail. he's 35 on Friday. is that young? he moves to Bournemouth the day after. I have, as we speak, ALL his worldly goods in my conservatory, my dining room and most of my lounge and he has spent all day trying to decide what he needs to keep. I might add that he has a genuine problem with decision making!!!!

Sandra, hope you get the tummy troubles sorted soon.

Heather, oh, I wish I had at least my camera handy. of course all the world knows the story now!

well, am now going for a walk as I just have to escape the mayhem for 5 minutes, have to be careful as I exit my coputer room as there is a pile of bedding ready to trip up over outside the door!!!

love Carol

Highlighted

Hi everyone thought I better just come on and say Hi and tell you that I am still alive.
Carol, why hadn't you got you dvd or somthing, you could have made a bomb on these video programmes, I am glad you didn't laugh untill he was safe lol
Sandra hope doctors appointment goes ok tomorrow.
I never know where I am suppose to be, should I be on here or Face Book Help ........

Love Heather
xxxxxxxx

Highlighted

Sandra think you need to send the "why men die young" email to Carols son.......

Highlighted

Hi don’t manage to get on very often. Wow Sandra helping out at the house moving sure they will be really glad to have their little ones looked after by you when they have so much stuff to do.
Tracey what a busy time phew how do you pack all that in?
Just at the end of my weeks A/L had son ,d-i-l and 3 g-s for the last week. Lovely and baby Angus learned to commando crawl at my house too whoo hoo. He could already roll across the room in no time but is so determined and now will be crawling in no time, but wow how he sleeps.The 2 older ones have been such a joy too .Had them all to my self most evening so parents could go for a walk/drink/dinner/film etc Now feel I might start talking to myself after keeping up a running conversation for several days.
We were so lucky with the weather too, lovely sunny days. Felt more or less able to keep up energy wise but now resting. Hope you can all have a lovely week-end J xx

Highlighted

Thought I'd better post a comment too seeing as I haven't done for an age.
Sandra I hope you get your tummy troubles sorted soon as everything is such a worry.

Hope everyone is doing ok on hereand big hugs to you all xxxx

My life ...just busyish trying to do day to day stuff and getting stronger by the day.

Weight loss going good but have got a very busy 2 weeks coming up appointment wise....

15th...oncolgist 14.40
17th...surgeon 9am
17th....go to wws 10am
17th.....dentist 14.15
18th....lymphodema clinic 10am
19th....lymphodema clinic 9am

22nd...accupuncture 14.20
23rd...lymphodema clinic 11.00
24th...wws 10am
24th ...lymphodema clinic 12.00
25th...lymphodema clinic 11 am

That should keep me out of trouble along with fitting in my other bits and pieces of jobs to be done...lol
I would've had lymphodema clinic on 16th and 17th as well but they cancelled those two until I saw the surgeon...
Am on long term anti bs to try to keep the infection at bay whilst they do the treatments.

Highlighted

Dragging myself in to say Hi, because l feel as though l have had my knuckles wrapped by Kanga! So much going on with the school holidays, l hardly have time to breath!

What’s going on in my life…….well have had stomach pains on and off for a few weeks now, so phoned the bcn up she said l had to go through my GP as the onc will say the stomach is nothing to do with the cancer…….lets hope he is right!!
So l have an appointment next Tuesday to see the GP, then if she wants a scan she will write to the onc and so it goes on……..worry, worry, worry!

It will be my dil’s Mums funeral tomorrow, or today!! It will be three weeks this Saturday since she died, everything has taken such a long time!!

Really struggling to lose a bit of weight, really don’t know why, l am being good!! Just won’t budge!

Carol, OH was lucky, my OH fell through a lean to window, where we use to live, l was out at the time! mind you l did see him fall backwards straight through the patio window!
We were sitting talking all of a sudden his chair went back and he went straight through the window, needless to say then it wasn’t double glazed. When he told his boss, he told him off for giving me a fright, as l was 3 months pregnant at the time, so he never got any sympathy from anyone!!

My poor little Bliss is really struggling with her walking, the vet has doubled her pain killers, at the moment she seems fine, so fingers crossed it works for a bit, can’t see her suffer!

Maria, my hair is like fluff!! Bit thin on top and at the sides! Seems to be taking forever! But it is growing so l shouldn’t moan, just wish it would grow quicker, just wish it didn’t have a kink in it, just wish it was thicker, just wish l didn’t look like my brother! Lol

Youngest son is moving in a couple of weeks, still in the same area, just a bigger house, so that is exciting!
They only moved there about 4 years ago, l couldn’t help them then, because l had just had a toe joint replaced, so couldn’t drive or put a shoe on. This time l can’t help because l can’t lift too much!! Good excuse! Have made myself available for babysitting!

Time for bed l think!
xxx

Highlighted

Actually, I went to the hairdressers today, he said I was still very thin in places (unfortunately not my body !), there is still some "baby" hair growing, and the curls are still there, so still can't do much with it. My my, I have just realised I finished my chemo over 11 months ago !!
Hugs to those on Suze Cruise and to those somewhere else too
Maria

Highlighted

close one Carol !!
I'm very busy with the captain on Suze cruise so I can't post at the moment
Hope the rest of you are having fun too
xx

Highlighted

Hi, girls
Kanga, was that your stay in Bournemouth that was nearly ****ed up???
wouldn't have been much room in Kerry's flat where Dan's gonna be living with only 2 bedrooms. OH had a Kanga/Heather moment yesterday evening. He & Dan were cutting back our Leylandii hedge ( had got to about 18 feet, whoops) he's on the workshop roof cutting the ones behind the workshop, goes to climb down, using the plastic storage shed as a step to the waiting ladder, guess what, straight through through the roof!! why have you never got a camera handy? finished up stuck in the top of the shed, feet one end, head & arms sticking out the other, Dan trying to hold on to him to stop him falling in as he didn't know if there were any sharp tools for him to get impaled on. anyway, he managed to get his feet down and opened the shed doors from the inside. once we knew he was OK-laugh, you bet we did!!

Carol xx

Highlighted

Come on you lot !!
I know we´re all off on the cruise with Suze , but don´t desert this forum , we all met up here in the first place .
I have to go , Jack is getting mithered , he can hear my OH in the garden and wants to go out .
hopefully someone will come on later .
luvkanga

Highlighted

Oh Carol ! Don´t say that ! I thought it might sort of drain all the fluid away ,under , the fat there really is a pair of thin feet and ankles trying to get out .
I´ll say no more about the old ankle straps Nell , in fact I suspect the original Nell , ( You are NOT the original Nell ??!!) probably wore them !
Well the viewing was , as always a waste of time , and for us , effort !
I knew as soon as three kids appeared . This house has two bedroom and yes , there is the opportunity to make another two around the courtyard , sounds complicated but is´nt . However , it´s not finished yet . The couple were from Scotland , and they are looking in this area cos they´ve been coming here for 8 years and love it , they want to buy something now to rent out , but they´will nedd some financing . Well I really don´t think Spain is doing much in the way of mortgages at the moment !
Very nice people , but basically , they´re wasting people´s time . cos they aint going to be buying anytime soon . Bye bye ..........come back when you´ve sold up and have some money !!

So that was my shopping screwed . Had to go again today 33· at 11am !! Wicked !! And i don´t mean that as being fantastic , it was actually pigging awful . No where to park , cos it´s august and the place is full of holiday makers trying to get to the beach . In fact I had to park near the beach to get to the Post office ............quite a trek . Ah well , these things happen .
Talking about happening . Well I had just got rid of the prospective buyers ( Ha Ha !!) and my mobile went , OH picke it up and I could hear him speaking . Anyway he covered the phone and handed it to me saying ..........."it´s the lady whose house we´ve booked for our holiday , she says there´s a problem ." You know that feeling , when your heart goes "thud " right down to yuor boots ? It did . Took the phone , and she explained how she´d made a mistakle with bookings , and when she took our booking ( April ) she forgot to let the company she deals with know , and they have just booked someone else into the week we have , would I mind changing it to a later week !! I tell you girls , when **** hits the fan in this house , it relly goes in all directions ! What can you say , my response was , " Please Pauline don´t do this to us ! Alongside your house , we have booked four different hotels for 7 nights , two up , three back , And I´ve changed three hospital appointments ." Also , you had the deposit begining of may , this company have only just booked this , and it will be far easier for them to find alternative accommodation for their clients .
I felt sick ;
Anyway , in fairness to Pauline she said , leave it with her and shhe´d sort it out , and would make sure we were OK . Finally , last evening she emailed me to say it was sorted.
Don´t you just wish days like that never happened . Or if they did , it was to someone you really really did´nt like !
Bye girls
luvKangaX

Highlighted

Kanga, reflexology doesn't make your fat, flat feet thin again!! I have reflexology every 3 or 4 weeks. luuuuve it!!!

Highlighted

Kanga, we crossed - Re: ankle straps...... Hmm not sure about your reasons, bit suspect your explanation, so much detail - are you trying to hide the real reason? My suggestions are rather rude and rauncy, bit dominatrix too... Hmm yes, lets move on ladies before the mods are on to us again ;0)

Do your friends know what you're really like? nice of the offer though x

Highlighted

Suze, Enjoy the Cruise - and don't forget the piccies for when you get back! Hope OH is managing much beter now too xx

Highlighted

Well , what a few days I´ve had .
Last night was due out at an important local meeting , all dressed up in black and white , looked like a penguin , went to put my nice wedged heeled black shoes on with ankle straps , ( no Nell , we don´t want to know what those are called !) I wear ankle straps cos normally if I don´t , my ankles and feet being so narrow I go over on my feet . Anyway , the b***** things would´nt do up ! Not at all , so panic then , what the f f can I wear ? Ende up with an old pair of black sandles that I had forgotten I possessed , did not finish the outfit well , felt like a hillbilly from up "them thair mountains ". Bum ! But , a friend of mine , saw my fat feet on FB and guess what ? She emailed me and said she would give me a FREE reflexology session . Is´nt that kind ? I´m thrilled , could never have afforded that :She used to work in London and had loads of important clients , now she live snear here in a fabulous house , but she has her clients come to the house . I´m chuffed to beans . I had already booked a pedicure next monday , so I´ll ask her if i could come perhaps later next week . What a suprise !
Oh and another friend took me out for the day , and we went off to a lovely little village I had´nt been to for 10 years ( cos the road is pants !...........big ,big , drops !!) and we had a lovely day wondering the shops and then had a nice lunch and she took me back to see her three day old kittens , a mis mating of a gorgeous ragdoll and a chancer . Six really pretty kittens , and the mum is totally relaxed with the othr dogs and cats ( and chickens ) around .
I decided that Jack has to have the chop . He´s six years old and always been so good , but he seems to have suddenly found ou what his willie is for and is becoming a bit of a pest . Tried to mount a black snauszer ( male ) then a very large standard poodle .....no chance , but I saw him eyeing up the small ladder today ! So I´ve booked him in in a couple of weeks , quite expensive I might add .
Went to Lux Mundi for a coffee morning today and to speak to the lady in charge about certain aspects of the next show , and one of the old ladies there collared me . She ´s a bit forgetful , but quite canny . Meet hre in Morrisons and she´ll have you doing all her shopping for her ! Anyway I got her a coffee and a piece of cake and took her over to a table , she was chatting away to me . then she said , " Did´nt you used to be very slim ?"................Don´t you just love it ??!! I´d just lost another pound , and it put me very firmly in my place ..........along with the other fatties !!
Then I gave a friend a lift home and had just got into the supermarket to do some shopping and my phone rang , thought it was OH asking if I´d meet him for a coffee , no it was Tim the estate agent ............"could he bring some clients around at 3pm ? " It was 1.30 !!! But this is how it happens here . What a performance , had to forget my shopping , phone OH and tell him to start putting things away ,ie ..under beds etc . Got home in time to tidy around .Very unlikely to ciome to anything , HO HUM !! Another day in La La Land !!!

Highlighted

Have a lovely cruise Suze my posh frocks are awaiting an invite ha ha.Now will you actually meet up with Kanga in Gib? Be aware she will lead you astray.
Heather sweetie so sorry to hear of your sad news what a horrible time you are having. Love the pic of Lola she must help to brighten your day Love and hugs as always J xx

Highlighted

hope you've packed all those posh frocks!

Highlighted

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.*¨*•♫♪ I am sailing ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ I am sailing ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Home again cross the sea♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.. I am sailing ♥ ♥ ♥

All aboard for the Suze cruise. Happy Sailing!

xxx

Highlighted

ello, Maria (Mazbaz) yes it is. might see you at the Spa day????

Our Maria, hope you had a lovely Birthdayxxx. I can understand you feeling tired if you're back full time. I had my Herceptin No. 12 yesterday and felt very tired straight after, havn't felt that before. feel better today

love & hugs to all my friends

Carol

Highlighted

Hi

Just popping on to say hello to Danjo - it was really nice to meet you on Saturday. It's great to put a face to the name isn't it?

Maria x

Highlighted

Hope you have had a happy birthday Maria. x

Highlighted

Heather, so sorry to hear about your friend. Thinking of you and sending hugs. xxx

Highlighted

Happy Birthday Maria, hope you've had a fab day! xx