cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emend - Aprepitant sickness med

18 REPLIES 18
Community Champion

Re: Emend - Aprepitant sickness med

Hi Barbara, sorry you've had such a bad time. I have emend throughout 3x FEC and had no bad reaction. Also had lots of other anti sickness meds and had my 2nd and 3rs FEC reduced because if nausea. Keep talking to your medical team.

Hi J,

Thanks for your reply. I had 2nd chemo yesterday, took Emend and so far only nausea. However I had an allergic reaction to the IV Ondansetron - arm went red and blotchy, head swimming and tight chest so they had to give me piriton and another corticosteroid to settle it, then carried on with rest of chemo. So no Ondansetron tablets for me this time and they are referring the reaction to my oncologist. Waiting to see what the plan will be for next time. Take care x x

Hi everyone

Most anti-emetic drugs are out for me as I had a severe reaction to Stemetil in the past, and drugs like Metoclopramide, Cyclizine or Domperidone can cause the same reaction so I was advised to avoid them.

I've had 2 cycles of FEC now, and each time I've had the 3 day course of Aprepitant, starting an hour before, plus Aloxi half an hour before the chemo is given. I have not vomited at all yet, felt nauseated for sure, and this went on for longer after the 2nd cycle, but at least I haven't thrown up. I can take Ondansetron if necessary 5 days after chemo when the Aloxi has worn off, but I haven't needed to so far *touches everything wooden*

So I would say Aprepitant works for me. Hope this helps
J x

Hi Sopuli,
Thank you for your feedback, great to hear positive feedback for Aprepitant. I will post some feedback after my chemo this Wednesday. Take care x x

Hi Barbara,

I can only add to the positive feedback for Aprepitant. I also got very sick after my first FEC, and ended up in A&E that night for an injection. It took me three days until I was able to eat halfway normal food again.

With Aprepitant I was still suffering a little on the day of each FEC chemo, but I never again vomitted, and on day 2 I usually felt fine - drugged but OK.

Cyclecine I tried to reduce to a mimimum, because it made me reeeeeaaallly tired, I am sure one pill could make an elephant sleep! Smiley Wink

All the best for you

sopuli

Hi Emma, Glad to hear that Emend helped you too, I am feeling more confident about my 2nd chemo next week. Take care, stay well, Barbara.
Highlighted

Emend is amazing! I felt really sick first few times then had amend third time- no sickness no nausea!
Best wishes Emma

Hi Sue, Thanks for your reply, I am glad to hear that the Emend helped you, it's very encouraging. Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Take Care Barbara x x

Hi Barbara, I was the same after my first FEC and vomitted every hour fro 13 hours until GP gave me another pill to put under my top lip which enabled me to keep anti sickness meds down. Onc prescribed Amend for second one and was loads better although still had little nausea. She also gave me Lorazepan in case it was anxiety related (it wasn't) but that helped me sleep night before and after session.  Just on day 12 of first T not nice but doable.Sue xx

Hi Jannie,
Thank you for your reply, it is good to hear that the Emend helped and that your other meds were adjusted too. I am very grateful for the replies to this question - I am feeling more positive about the next chemo now. Take care, x x

Apparently its not unusual to react to domperignon...i was violently sick emend was wonderful along with the cyclazine and the others the gave me. I did find the steroids made me nauseous and very moody so they reduced theses and then I didn't feel sick at all.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it's really useful to have info from real people's experience of this as I am so wary of anymore side effects after this first chemo.

I saw my lovely Breast Care Nurse yesterday, and she felt I needed to see someone to review the side effects asap, so I have an appointment on Monday to see a consultant chemo nurse practitioner (think that's right).

I am now improving day by day which is good, trying to eat good things, drink loads and rest up - I am sure someone has removed my batteries..............!

Take care, and thanks again ladies,

Barbara x x

I was extremely sick after my 1st chemo - had to go back to hospital for an injection to stop the vomiting as I was so worried that I wasn't keeping my steriods down.  From then on I was prescribed Emend which was very successful, although it would take several days for the nausea to disappear.  I couldn't even be in the same room as my husband when he was eating.

Hi, I was told emend was the rolls Royce of anti sickness meds. My health board didn't routinely prescribe it but I begged for it before my chemo and they finally gave it to me. I have a vomiting phobia so I wanted to make sure I wasn't sick. My first chemo I ended up in hospital cause I couldn't eat or drink, all my own doing, was all in my head. Chemo 2 I was still slightly sicky (probably in my head again!!) They changed some of my other meds chemo 3 and 4 and I didn't feel sick at all, although still could only eat the smallest amount of food or drink. I think emend helps most folk. My oncologist told me if you had morning sickness in pregnancy you were most likely to have sickness with the chemo.

Hope you keep better during your next round of chemo. I am sure they will sort out meds for you to make sure you don't go through all that again.

Good luck xx

Emmend has truly saved my life. I've had it from cycle 1 as told oncologist was prone to nausea/vomiting.
I haven't vomited at all and just had number 4 last week. I do feel nauseous and struggle to eat anything size wise bigger than you would give a five year old for the first week but after week 1 I can eat as before. Do keep mentioning it because my other drugs for sickness have been tweaked on cycles 2 and 3 and for the cycle I've just had only felt nauseous once and even managed to eat a restaurant meal albeit a small one on day 3.

Hi Barbara

I was really sick after the first cycle so went onto Emend for the second, and I was still sick but not for as long. I did manage to keep water down better with the second cycle, although I still felt very nauseous and drinking anything was a bit of a trial. I am now a week on and having to take metoclopramide occasionally but it's not too bad.

I know they say it is important to take all the antisickness stuff for the first few days, whether you are feeling bad or not, but each time I take one I start worrying about the constipation to come.

I hope you find the Emend helpful - I know most people say that it is excellent. I will definitely try it again for the third cycle.

Emxx

Hi chascat, Thanks for your reply. It will be useful to hear how others have coped with this medication. I am really glad to hear it helped you with your sickness. Stay well. Barbara x x

Hi Barbara, my reaction wasn't as severe as yours but I was extremely sick after my first FEC, my ONC prescribed Emend for my subsequent chemo's and I wasn't sick again, I had the occasional bit of nausea but metoclopramide helped with that, it's a very effective drug x

Emend - Aprepitant sickness med

Hello everyone,

My first cycle of chemo has been hard due to a reaction to some of the anti-sickness/steroid meds.  I had my treatment last Tuesday, ended up back in the unit on the Wednesday having IV fluids and anti-sickness meds, then spent a couple of days trying to keep water down.  I started to improve a little on Saturday and am now able to eat a little and have been topping up my fluids by drinking as much as I can.

The hospital have prescribed a 3 day course of Emend, one capsule an hour before chemo, then one capsule per day for 2 days after for my next cycle of chemo.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience to mine, and whether they found this medication helped them.

Many thanks, Barbara x x