Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emmerdale

4 REPLIES 4
feistyflora

Re: Emmerdale - Only The Lonely?

Hi Sally-Ann

When you have cancer you certainly find out who is on your side and who isn't but adversity can make you stronger and give you a backbone of steel. People who really care about you are a precious commodity so if someone offers you a genuine hand of friendship and you 'bite' it, more fool you. If you deliberately provoke arguments with one person after another but repeatedly maintain "it wasn't my fault" everyone will soon get wise and give you a wide berth. I haven't noticed a stampede of people beating a path to this lady's door recently but happily that is no longer my problem. Hug much appreciated by the way.

Sally-Ann

I agree that there are some nasty devious people who want what you have and will try to take it so you need to be careful,but there are a lot of good people out there as well, and sometimes thing aren't what they seem.

I had an aquatance who always had people round them, I thought she had hundreds of friends as did her son.  Went to her funeral wasn't going to because I didn't know her that well and thought it would be packed with her real friends, I only went because my Dad said you only get one chance to say good bye...............My Dad, step mum brother, his wife and I turned up to the crematorium went in and sat at the back of a large room (picked so that her numerous friends could be accommodated) her coffin arrived with her son, ex husband and neibour........no one else, her son had, had loads of cards made up saying thanks for being her friend, although I have been to funerals that have been emotionally sadder,  I have never been to a sadder funeral.  I felt so desperately sad for her son he thought she was loved and happy and had loads of friends but in reality she was very lonely.

please don't let a bad experience stop you being the wonderful caring people that you are 😍

I hope everything is going well for you all, sending hugs xx

feistyflora

Thanks Kate. Reading the papers this week I noticed that a well-meaning campaign has just been launched by the RVS (in conjunction with Ruth Langsford I believe) encouraging us to look after lonely neighbours. However there is a vast difference between person a) so disabled that they are trapped in their own home, who doesn't have any relatives and never receives a single visitor and person b) who is healthy, has adult offspring who own cars and who are conscientious and visit their parent regularly. How can the latter type of individual honestly claim to be lonely. They have legs and can walk and unless they suffer from agoraphobia what is to stop them from visiting a library, joining a club or society, an art class, take a walk in the park or even attend a coffee morning? Altruism is an admirable quality but my advice based on bitter experience is to be extremely cautious. Before you go dashing to someone's rescue, eager to perform good deeds, make sure that the individual in question is truly in need because sad to say they may be just using you.

KATE.

Re: Emmerdale

You are quite right to look after yourself and your needs. It would be nice if she perhaps returned some favours in your time of need! So sorry to hear that your kindness was taken for granted. Take care and good luck😃x
feistyflora

Emmerdale

Emmerdale’s latest storyline is about Zac, Lisa and Joannie the lodger. Big-hearted Lisa invited homeless Joannie to move in with them but her kindness has back-fired, Zac and Joannie have been spending too much time together. Déjà vu! Some time ago I took pity on a woman who complained she was lonely.Soon she began visiting on a daily basis. She particularly enjoyed the company of my spouse. One day she asked him to do a small job for her and he agreed, but then she started asking for more and more and more "help". He was inundated with requests, each one cheekier than the last, then she began asking for lifts too. On the day that I was informed of my diagnosis I told her that I had cancer. Naturally I assumed that out of compassion her demands would now cease but I was very much mistaken. One day I had no option but to let her know  that this situation could not go on because my husband's priority was looking after me. She reacted with fury and accused me of being unreasonable! I won’t be taking pity on any more “lonely” women in the future that's for sure.