Emotional rollercoaster

I have had annual mammograms through family history clinic for over 10 years .a week after my 50th birthday (when I would only get 3 yearly)a 20 mm tumor and an area of calcification. They’ve been removed on 10th August. I have recovered well but am still waiting for radiotherapy. I have stayed really positive and so grateful that it was caught early and no spread. This wait for radiotherapy is getting me down though. They said 6 weeks post op it is going to be more like 12 ! Anyone had similar experience?

dragonfly

From my op to start of rads it was 9 weeks, they want to make sure that you are healed sufficiently to undergo them.  Have you got a start date yet?

Helena xx

Hi Dragonfly

So, you are like me, very very lucky that it was caught so early.  I had my surgery on 20th September and I have my first outpatient appointment to discuss my radiotherapy next Tuesday, 17th October and I have been told that my radiotherapy will probably not start until the end of October/early November.  To be honest, I am so not stressing about it (or the 5 years of Letrozole).  Right now, I continue to feel so fortunate it was caught early through screening and that I have no lymph involvement and had a clear margin.  The rest I consider to be really manageable as so many lovely ladies on this forum have already suggested it will be.

I’m not wasting a single second fretting about it, I am too busy appreciating the surgery is behind me with excellent results.  I have a life to live and I am cracking on with it regardless.

I hope this helps.

Take care, Anita xx

Too right, Anita, fab post!!!
ann x

Dragonfly, like Anita said , crack on with life. The radiotherapy will be done in good time, and, after all, it’s belts and braces isn’t it? Got the tumour out, got clear margins, no need for chemo, and a mop up. The scar tissue needs to be well healed before treatment or it will undo all the surgeons handiwork.   You could always phone your radiology consultant and query the delay. It may be that there aren’t sufficient machines, or staff, but at least you’d have a reason. Well done you on getting through surgery with good results . ?  X