Employers attitude

Hi 

I havent been on site for a long while.  I had my 5 year check up in October and have been signed off by the Consultant but have got to have yearly mammograms until I’m 50.  I see the Oncologist in April and hopefully will be signed off.

I knew I would have problems with my employers when I was diagnosed and consulted the Macmillan representative at Citizen Advice, who were brillant.  My employer was fine to start with and carried on paying me for 6 months.  After Radiotherapy they started to be funny as they thought I should be back at work,  my GP wrote to them and put them well and truely in there place.  I started back on phased schedule and I was dreading it, but I was welcomed back with open arms.  

Ever since I’ve had the occasionally comment over my time off then and hospital appointments (which I’ve made up the time for).  

But now its like they’ve done me a major honour in keeping me employed and I’m in there debt.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi Joodles1968, 

I am sorry to hear you have been having this tough time at work. Hopefully another user will be along soon to share their support with you. 

You could also try posting in our living with breast cancer thread which is a busy part of our forum.

In the meantime do give our support line a call at 0808 800 6000 who can offer their support and advice.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant.

Hi Joodles,
Like you initially my work place was brilliant, but as i struggled with fatigue and despite a detailed phased return to worl plan i ultimately resigned. Good luck and fortitude on staying in post, i ran out of the will to fight for my rights and lost faith in them. The flip side is i now work less, but have a temporary position paying more ! Not at my prediagnosis level of income, but so much richer in having time to think and really look out for me. X