Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endometrial cancer? Very worried.

4 REPLIES 4
KateB

Re: Endometrial cancer? Very worried.

Hi

I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy in the summer of 2014 and started tamoxifen in the September. I went to my GP in February last year because of abdo pain mid cycle thinking I'd got ovarian cysts. I did have some cysts but also had irregular endometrial thickening. I was referred to a gynaecologist who did biopsies which showed atypical hyperplasia. Whilst I was told this was pre - cancerous cells it wasn't very reassuring. She wanted me to have a mirena coil fitted but I wasn't keen due the hormones and the possibility of it progressing. More biopsies (which did show progression) and months of anguish later I had a hysterectomy just before Christmas. I went through hell last year with this threat of more cancer as well as the worry of the breast cancer recurring. I wish I had insisted on a hysterectomy at the beginning - the consultant didn't understand my fear of it becoming cancerous and having to deal with it all over again. I am still waiting for the histology results and am extremely anxious even though the probability is that it will be ok. I had only been taking tamoxifen for a couple of months before I started having problems but my oncologist has recommended I keep taking it as it is the drug of choice from the breast cancer point of view.

Endometrial thickening is not necessarily cancerous but I would suggest a hysterectomy anyway as it removes the possibility of it becoming cancerous.

I completely understand your worries about having to cope with another cancer so soon, or at anytime actually, it's bad enough once isn't it?

I really hope the biopsies are ok, my heart goes out to you x

JuSt

Hi Jos,

Just saw your post and wanted to reply, although I'm afraid I can't really help much.  Sorry, I've not been in the same situation as regards the endometrial thickening, although as I understand, a thickening doesn't necessarily mean cancer.  It is good that you are being checked out and I really hope that it turns out to be nothing 'sinister'. 

I've also been on Tamoxifen for about a year and am currently waiting for scan results for back problems I've been having for a while - the waiting & not knowing is very hard isn't it?

Sending hugs and wishing you all the best for a positive outcome.

Do let us know how things go,

JuSt

JoJo11

Hi Jos,

I had breast cancer in 2007, WLE and radiotherapy. No chemo and I was ER,PR neg, so no hormone treatment. Then I had a recurrence in 2014, had mastectomy for that, and no further treatment. I have just been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, had hysterectomy and am awaiting radiotherapy for this. 

So not the same as you, but though I'd post as you haven't found any more appropriate ladies.  My endometrial cancer was an adenocarcinoma so not linked with breast, though I believe there is a rarer type, (Serous) which is.

Have you seen the gynae team yet? 

Sending you good wishes and virtual hugs

Jojo

Lizzy_BCC

Hi Jos, 

I am sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time. I am sure some of our users will be along soon to offer their support.

You could also try posting in our 'going through treatment' section of the forum which I have linked below.

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Going-through-treatment/ct-p/going_through_treatment

In the meantime do give our support line a call at 0808 800 6000 who can talk to you about any concerns that you have and offer support and information.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant

jos

Endometrial cancer? Very worried.

Hi there

I haven't been on the boards here for ages but something has cropped up and I was wondering if anyone has gone through the same.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2014 and had 6 rounds of chemo, a wide local excision, LICAP reconstruction and 6 weeks of rads, all finishing Dec 2014.  I've been doing pretty well since then (lots of emotional struggles but that's another story...).  However....

I've been taking Tamoxifen for just over a year.  I've had lower back problems for a while - these pre-date cancer - but I pushed to get an MRI on my back to rule out anything "sinister" (as they like to say).  Two weeks ago I saw the oncologist who said there was nothing worrying on the back BUT the MRI showed some endometrial thickening.  I had an ultrasound yesterday and a phone call with the oncologist today who said that there is a possibility that it's endometrial cancer and I need to have a biopsy ASAP.

I am devastated.  I have only been on Tamoxifen for a year – can it really make this much of a difference that quickly? The oncologist said it is unusual but not impossible. She also said they really don’t see that many women on Tamoxifen with endometrial cancer. I am really scared. I am a single parent with a 9 year old and don’t know how I will cope with another round of cancer treatment so soon after the last.

Has anyone else been through similar?

Thanks for reading.

Jx