Endometrial cells found on smear test

Hello - looking for some help. I have been on tamoxifen since May 2013. 4 months after starting it I started getting spotting on a daily basis and was eventually diagnosed in November 2013 with a polyp which was removed at the end of January 2014 and reported as benign. Since having it removed I have had no symptoms ( that I have been aware of ). I am not having periods - doctors seem uncertain if I am post menopausal ( I am just 50 ). A couple of weeks ago I went for a routine smear and then went away on holiday. I came back today to 2 messages to call GP surgery - the smear itself was " normal " but endometrial cells were seen. I am seeing the GP tomorrow - having googled away I am fairly certain I will be advised to go back for the ultrasound/ uterine lining biopsy again but I just wondered if anyone has had this and can give me any pointers . Just before I went away I spent 2 weeks getting very stressed waiting for my 2 nd post diagnosis mammo results ( thankfully NED ) but it seems no sooner over one hump and faced with another . Thanks for reading.

Hi walkabout

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment.  Whilst you’re waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and prcatical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Walkabout. I don’t have any similar experience to share (yet - waiting for upcoming hysteroscopy and biopsy) but I did come across this interesting thread here: Breast Cancer Care Forum / Going through treatment / Hormone therapy / Tamoxifen Induced Endometrial Hyperplasia. You might find some relevant info there. Hope your GP was helpful. Best of luck. x