Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English threads t shirt issue

55 REPLIES 55
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: English threads t shirt issue

Can I reiterate the apology from Breakthrough, which I posted on the Boycott FB page, Richard Neate, Head of Supporter Care, unreservedly apologises for any distress caused to us, our families & friends. They are reviewing how the said garment was endorsed & the processes leading to such endorsements. Anyone interested in these decision making processes can join Breakthrough CAN, their Campaign&Advocacy Network.
I don't know who set up& administered the "Boycott" FB page but in fairness to Suzi Perry who withdrew her support, too, her picture in the TShirt should no longer appear on that page in my opinion.
Channel 5 said "thank you" for bringing this to their attention and wishes all who responded well.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I see there's a story in the news this morning about Topman having to withdraw 2 t-shirts because of a Twitter campaign. They aren't charity t-shirts but do have offensive slogans on the front.

D1zzy22. The intention was for the t-shirt to be withdrawn as a breast cancer charity fund raiser and to point out to Breakthrough Breast Cancer that not all merchandise is appropriate for fundraising. If English Threads sells more t-shirts then good luck to them.

It is ironic that with all the attention that this tee-shirt has had that English Threads has had lots of public attention in the media and millions of people have now heard of this company and will have checked out the website. They used to say there is no such thing as bad publicity. I had never heard of English threads and wonder how much extra business they will find they have when the accounts for this month's sales are in?
The inappropriate nature of the garments message and its association with breast cancer was my gripe and was not directed at Mr Shotton, but I was shocked to see how personally our views have been taken. We are entitled to make our views known and this has obviously offended many of us!
In pre diagnosis days I probably would have found the tee-shirt mildly amusing but now I just found it distasteful and demeaning to those of us who have breasts that have been mutilated by surgery, perhaps the message should have been "have you checked yours recently emblazoned across the chest area, and in pink if they absolutely had to?

I'm glad to see that Suzi Perry's photo and the Breakthrough logo have now been removed from the English Threads website.

The tag-line displayed above a photo of the t-shirt reads "Great tits for breast cancer", hmmmmmmm, that could be construed in different ways.

I think the whole thing should be classed as done and dusted now. if he wants to post anything else that could be taken to be directly offensive then it should be referred to the appropriate channels to be dealt with. He was obviously trying to make a big point.

I must warn you that any 'unkind' personal comments about the person involved will be censored by the mods so edit your posts, ladies.
I've had some posts changed already.

I don't think he is unhinged, I just think he doesn't know how to admit to making a poor judgement or how to apologise properly. If you search for him it appears he is an interior designer who worked in the marketing/design department at Dyson and he has worked for various ad agencies. English Threads has the same address in Wilts as his design co, so is a sideline. He has a profile on LinkedIn about his design company.

Bettina, I am so sorry about the nasty comments Mr Shotton has aimed at you. I am sure you would have rather put your energy into coping with your treatments/illness and spending precious time with your family than have had to become involved in all this. I am not a person who likes confrontation but I was moved to write emails and post on these forums and various FB pages because sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted when you think something is wrong.

Cat says he sounds a bit "unhinged" and I agree with her which makes me ask the question, yet again, how did Breakthrough Breast Cancer become involved with his company?

Love
Maude xx

What a shame Mr Shotton felt he had to go down this route. He should have just had the good grace to say "hands up, we should have taken more time to think this through and we made a mistake". Admitting it was misguided would have gone a long way. It would have all been done and dusted. I do often find these days that nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions, even when it's something high profile like raising funds for a charity. It's always someone else's fault if it goes wrong, in this case English Threads want it to be the people who complained. As somebody who is in business I find it very unprofessional.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Revcat

I'm not sure I expressed myself as well as I should have and I do feel sorry that nasty comments have been directed at Bettina.

I hope I haven't upset anyone. I just think we should now get back to doing what we do best and that's supporting each other on this forum.

Love to all

Jan

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies,

I am really surprised at the message you've received, Bettina, that's quite horrible. Mr Shotton sounds a little unhinged in it. How can he be holding one person accountable for the distress his t-shirt caused? You aren't the only one to mail him. I contacted him via his company e-mail to express my feelings (very politely) and have received no reply.

It's such a shame that he seems to think this is a personal vendetta. It isn't, its about the appropriateness of a product to raise money to fund research. I sincerely hope that he reads these threads so that he understands it's not about him, it's about us and other woman or man affected by breast cancer.

Stephen Shotton, if you are reading this: you wanted to help raise funds into breast cancer research and that is great, but the direction the help went in was inappropriate and misguided. No one has anything personal against you, we don't know you or your friends. We just would like not to be dismissed as irrelevant and stupid when it comes to products sold to help us and for men and women who will be affected by breast cancer in the future.

I hope that makes sense and that I'm not babbling on too much.

Hope you ladies all have a great day 🙂

Tina I am so sorry you have been hurt/upset/angered by the comments on Twitter.

Jan, I'm with you; I think we have to be the 'grown ups' here and move on.

Oh dear on twitter "batina", "frenzied attack" etc, who's getting personal? clearly Mr Shotton is now a martyr! How sad. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning

Well I set the whole thing off and I did email him before I posted on here so maybe it's me he should be directing his comments to and I did think that I was the 'one woman'.

However, no-one wants to take this man's liveihood away. Clearly he's worked very hard for what he's got. If he wishes to donate to breast cancer charities then that's his business. I'm sure there are lots of people raising money in all sorts of ways for breast cancer.

This is not a personal war between us and him. We did get BBC to withdraw their support and in doing that, hopefully next time someone asks for their endorsement of a product, they will consider whether the item is appropriate for their charity.

I think we should wish Stephen Shotton well with his business and move on.

Jan

Oh Tina, i am sorry this has become personal. It is so unfair on you. i hope you redirected him to the threads on this forum. you were not alone and The Wright stuff showed that even people without bc saw it as a step too far.

debx

Hi there, I read this last night, via the company website's tweet button. I'm not a member of facebook or twitter so it's available for anyone to read. It saddened me and I'd hoped it may have been removed after a short while.

Guest user
Not applicable

The persnal attack you can read is via Twitter and is directed at me.
English Threads (@EnglishThreads) said:

@GermaninWilts Hello Batina, the person who must spend most of the time trying to upset me. The one who took information from my personal Facebook account and has written so many horrible messages that I gave up counting. Hello person who is for some reason re-tweeting tweets from my friends which are nothing to do with you. I know how much we have upset you with our T-Shirt. Everyone knows after you set up an anti FB page, got it featured on The Wright Stuff - although didn't phone in - just promoted an 'outrageous T-Shirt' I had no intention of contacting you because it would have been a waste of time. But you have got personal with me. This T-Shirt didn't spring up from no where, I had an idea and then it was decided that a pink version would be great for Breast Cancer. The charity liked it, the celeb liked it and we liked it but you hated it. That is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I received a few calls after the show this morning asking if they could still get the T Shirt because it should be their decision. Just to let you know the T-Shirt will continue to be on sale (it is a free county) to help raise funds for Breast cancer but without the associations. therefore those who want them can get one. Please will you leave me and my friends alone. Please will you not lift information from my personal Facebook Page. Please will you not copy my friends messages. Please will you calm down and accept that you won with you frenzied campaign. The believers will try and carry on raising money on our own. Regards, Stephen Shotton"

I did reply that all information from English Threads on Twitter & Facebook was on public media, is readily available to all who look and I was not the only person objecting, trying to put the objecting into context again, but acccepting that he has the right the sell whatever he likes and at no time made any personal remarks but questioned the companies decision to market the item in the said context, but of course, as this is a one person company, he regards this as personal.

Bettina

the tweet about antifundraisers has been removed

Guest user
Not applicable

Personally I like the tits fundraising T-shirt and would have love one. I have secondary breast cancer and the main thing that helps keep me going is the sense of humour I've had all my life. xxx

I'm definitely not an anti-fundraiser; since my Dx, our family has raised about £2,000 - that's in less than 6 months.

He's talking tosh.

Hi, yes read this earlier..what can you say? Can think of a few things actually but don't want to upset the Mods 🙂 ..anyway big pats on backs ladies..we have all acted with dignity and integrity..well done all.

Guest user
Not applicable

It is very annoying that he is making out to be some sort of martyr and also v annoying that awareness of his products will be much higher now and he'll probably cash in a bit on the back of all of this controversy...

Latest tweet:
JayTezbot James Terrett
@
@EnglishThreads Its the classic tale of man designs t-shirt, charity likes t-shirt, man told to hang his head in shame by antifundraisers.

Honestly!!!! are they a set of complete idiots at this company????

Guest user
Not applicable

the plot thickens...! What is wrong with this man???

so they think the feelings of people living with cancer are silly???? and all their problems are down to one woman bullying them????

Goodness me, what a roundabout way to self harm. Still, will enjoy watching him crusading for breast cancer charities on behalf of charities who want no connection with him and breast cancer sufferers who are sickened by him for his crass products, insensitive comments and rude words.

Guest user
Not applicable

And this shows the nature of EnglishThreads via Twitter
@EnglishThreads Yes. There is a wonderful crochet cushion with 2 great tits in antique shop next to office - I will get for you so you...
@EnglishThreads ...can sit on and put all this behind you 🙂
Thanks. So silly, so much awareness and money missed because of mainly one woman. Social media works for and against!
It is far from over, people want the choice so I am being told by the people so I shall continue raising!

Guest user
Not applicable

That's a brilliant result - I have registered here today just so that I could comment (huge dislike) and I am so pleased. Well done

I think if they have broken the link and still give £4.50 per shirt to Breast Cancer Breakthrough that that is big of them, that is a real apology.
A good result all round. Well done to everyone who achieved it

Top result

Well said Tors, I agree.

An apology has been made on twitter by english threads for offending anybody. I think we should accept this with good grace. They will carry on selling the t shirt as people still want it but the link to breast cancer will be removed. However, they will honour their contribution of £4.50 per t shirt sold being donated to breakthrough but, as i read it, seem to be saying they will not sell it off the back of BC. So, an apology from english threads and breakthrough and suzy perry. The link between bc and the t shirt is currently being broken (though technically it may take a short while) and funds being donated still. I can get past my personal upset and be proud and we did great, hope all parties involved give products more thought next time and well done all.

Job done!

The offending article is still for sale, endorsed by BBC and Suzi Perry, in their Facebook gallery. They say they can't take it down because their webmaster is on paternity leave.
It doesn't take a "webmaster" to take down a Facebook photo, anyone can do that.
I'd post this on their FB page, but childishly (or maliciously, I'm not sure which), I've been banned from posting on there as I have cancer. This honestly stinks of propaganda, where only the chosen few have a voice.

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear All,
Just a note to say we are doing our best to remove Suzi Perry & Breakthrough Breast Cancers association with The 'Great Tits' T-Shirt for Breast Cancer. We are a very small company and our web-developer is on Paternity Leave, we are attempting to contact him continually and this website will be amended as soon as possible.
We appreciate your patience on this delicate matter. Kind Regards, English Threads.

From their website.

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes I saw that it's still on the English Threads websit but they might use a webmaster to update their site and have to wait until he can do it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for 24 hours.

Guest user
Not applicable

It's still on their website...http://www.englishthreads.com/...so people could still buy it thinking some of thei money is going to BBC...

Naughty English Threads.

LOL how true.

Ah, but you see, you posted it three times.

;oP

It's confusing having so many thread about the same subject!

Ok Ninja, I accept your point x three! 😉

"maybe Breakthrough and English Threads could find a more suitable teeshirt "

NO NO NO to anything to do with E Threads.

Guest user
Not applicable

Its a team effort, 100 voices shout louder than 1. Thanks to everyone who took the time to write on this forum, FB and twitter and emailing the Company and Breakthrough.
And now, everyone, laugh, as apparently it's the new cure! (Wouldnt ditch my tamoxifen just now though!!)
Bettina

Good move Breakthrough although like Gingerbud I can't help thinking they made the 'Wright' decision just before ten fifteen this morning.
But heyho good..I'm liking too..Big thankyou to Bettina, Tors, Jan and others who brought this to the attention of the forums and the media...x

Liking it muchly too.

Just maybe Breakthrough and English Threads could find a more suitable teeshirt IF they are really serious about wanting to support the cause...? Some of their tee-shirts are actually pretty innocuous, to my eyes anyway.

Guest user
Not applicable

Great news. Im sure the upcoming feature on the wright stuff has had nothing to do with BBC's decision this morning...!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good News - LIKE!

much likey

Breakthrough Breast Cancer:

Over the weekend it has become very apparent that the English Threads fundraising tee-shirt has created a great deal of upset and anger. As such we have spoken with the company today asking them to remove the association with Breakthrough from this product.

We would like to unreservedly apologise for any upset this fundraising initiative has created. The opportunity arose from the company wanting to help us raise funds in our fight against breast cancer and was motivated by their very personal connection with the disease. We accept on this occasion we made the wrong decision and we would like to reassure all of our supporters that we will act on any lessons that can be learnt.

Oh, what happened there lol.

The Wright Stuff Channel 5 9.30

This morning: Should union bosses be threatening civil disobedience just a month after the riots? Also, your thoughts on the breast cancer t shirt that features a pair of great tits on the front that’s got survivors in a flap. And why on earth does Nancy Dell’Olio deserve a place on Strictly? It’s The Wright Stuff.

Ah well done and thank you to Suzi Perry being brave enough to consider the impact of this and understand the issues

Ah well done and thank you to Suzi Perry being brave enough to consider the impact of this and understand the issues