Epirubicin twice anybody?????

Just got back from appointment with onc, it was scan results, the news isnt good infact its totally b*>{ocks, the mets in my liver are now at their worst so far, after alot of humming and haring onc has decided on epirubicin and some other one, the thing is I had epi in 2004 - I believe that they dont usually give epi twice because of the risk to the heart, so I was just wondering if anyone out there has had it??

Ive just about exhaused all the chemos over the last 4 years and think that this is maybe the last option just finished taxol 10 weeks ago and really enjoyed the chemo break so this is back to earth with a big bump.

Thanks ladies

Sue xx

Awwwwww Sue

I have no experience of this as I only had CMF with original BC but couldnt read and run.

I wanted to send you a great big ((((((CYBER-HUG)))))) as this is sooooooooo sh*t and I havent seen you about for ages.

Lots of love

Anne xx

Hi Anne

Nice to see you!! No I havent been around for a while had a bit of a chemo break and put all things bc to the back of my mind, and didnt visit for a while.

Im booked in for the cool caps again love them!! just need one for the eyelashes and brows!! they’re only just growing back now, sods law isnt it.

Thanks Anne take care

Sue xxx

Hi Sue,

I have known quite a few women who have had epirubicin for a second time, usually on a weekly basis. I also thought that epi was a ‘one off’ chemo - but must be wrong. Good luck with it…

Jenny
x

HI Sue

Sorry your scan news is so f. boll****

I think that thinking has changed on using epi and other anthracyclines twice. I think second time round it may be used in ‘pegylated’ form (don’t know what that means though). How long did epi work for you first time round? That could be key for deciding whether to do it again.

The guy I saw at the Marsden was very good at assessiing how well particular chemos have and haven’t worked for me. AC didn’t work for me during primary cancer so I would personally resist having an anthracycline again.

very best wishes

Jane

Hi Jane
My onc said it would be a milder dose of epi,cos it can damage the heart muscles, maybe thats the meaning of pegylated??

I had epi after removal of lymph nodes 2 years after initial diagnosis (17/20 where affected), I hadnt been diagnosed with mets then, it was to ‘mop up’ so to speak, so since my liver mets diagnosed in 05 I havent had epi so who knows how it will go. I initally have great results with most of the chemos Ive had - its when the chemo stops everything ‘grows’ again, the only one that hasnt made any improvement was xeloda, I just need a good maintenance drug.

Thanks, take care

Sue xxx

Hi everyone, i do believe that pegylated is something to do with what it is actually mixed with, what the cemo is mixed with can be more toxic than the chemo its self, From memory (which isn’t that great anymore!) like abraxain is a taxane that is mixed with less toxic ingredients making it a lot more tolorable with minimal side effect, meaning our bodies can tolerate for a lot longer…PLease bare in mind I could have dreampt all that up or even got it wrong, but i’m sure its something along those lines…Proff Smith at the RM has suggested that epi will be my next chemo, which I’m really not looking forward to as it did play massive tricks with my heart, it would just go off racing for no reason at all, there must be somthing they have found out though because all of a sudden epi seems to be the next drug quite a few people are having and please correct me if i’m wrong about the word pegylated. xx

medicalnewstoday.com/articles/121521.php

There you go

X

“ABRAXANE uses albumin, a human protein, to deliver the chemotherapy. It does not contain chemical solvents. This eliminates the need for premedication with steroids or antihistamines for hypersensitivity reactions caused by these solvents.”

“The term pegylated is derived from a group of chemicals called polyethylene glycols. Use of these substances in a medication has the advantage of causing the therapeutic effect to persist longer in the body than nonpegylated compounds.”

Hope you are doing well, Amber :-))

Jenny
x